2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

June 2nd, 2020 at 1:03:58 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Tripdufan
Being a "moderate" in June of 2020 is spineless and weak. If you haven't seen enough at this point...

Agreed. If you cannot see the violence and hate of the left you cannot be helped.
The President is a fink.
June 2nd, 2020 at 2:36:19 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC
Wrong. The area has been at least partially closed to the public at least in 2013 and 2017 (and likely more often than that) for months in support of the inauguration.

News flash
No recent inauguration lol
Quote: RonC

You have the right to protest; not the unlimited right to protest wherever and whenever you want.

WTF
People have been protesting in Lafayette Park for over a century
Over a 100 years, this is where Americans protested
This goes back to Women protesting for the right to vote
The protest history in this park is part of American history
The protests were totally peaceful before Trumps stroll.
Even if the President is a Dem, I still support protesters in Lafayette park
Sad that some conservatives are against peaceful protests in a park with over 100 year history of protests simply due to politics.
I am NEVER against any peaceful protest regardless of politics.
Tea party wants to protest in Lafayette park against a Dem President. These protestors have my total support to protest.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 2nd, 2020 at 4:37:24 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
News flash
No recent inauguration lol

WTF
People have been protesting in Lafayette Park for over a century
Over a 100 years, this is where Americans protested
This goes back to Women protesting for the right to vote
The protest history in this park is part of American history
The protests were totally peaceful before Trumps stroll.
Even if the President is a Dem, I still support protesters in Lafayette park
Sad that some conservatives are against peaceful protests in a park with over 100 year history of protests simply due to politics.
I am NEVER against any peaceful protest regardless of politics.
Tea party wants to protest in Lafayette park against a Dem President. These protestors have my total support to protest.

Oh dear, aren't we triggered these days?

You contend that the park is "always" open to protests; I provided proof that at least parts of it are sometimes closed to folks.

I never said that people shouldn't be allowed to protest there; you decided that is what I meant.

The protesters (not to be confused with people throwing stuff at others, looting, assaulting, etc. others...the rioters) should be allowed to be there but security protocols require they be moved back if there necessary.

It is fine to not like the President doing a photo op somewhere; my point is that the park is not some sanctuary that must always remain open for protests. It is that way most of the time...but sometimes it is not.

Politicians of all kinds do lots of photo ops...
June 2nd, 2020 at 6:04:40 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
One a scale of 1-10 what is the President's ability to be a uniter?

Unfortunately, I think he's a 1. Sometimes he rises to a 2 but only if he's quiet long enough.

Hey, I give him high scores on some things. Ability to motivate his base, 9. He's a Nationalist after all.

Ability to become the center of attention, 10.

Ability to get subservience of his aids, 8.

Ability to blame others, 10

Ability to make bold moves 8. (reckless sometimes)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 3rd, 2020 at 3:02:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
One a scale of 1-10 what is the President's ability to be a uniter?

Unfortunately, I think he's a 1. Sometimes he rises to a 2 but only if he's quiet long enough.

You can only be a "uniter" to a group that wants to be united. Watch some YT "man on the street" videos. In one the guy asks liberals if they would be friends with a conservative/Republican. Not only did most liberals say "no" they got visibly upset at the idea. You cannot unite people that do not even want to talk to people on the other side.

When they flipped it, the conservatives did not have a huge problem being friends with liberals. They were not going to agree with them, but to have a beer with a liberal no problem.

It is very easy for liberals to seal themselves off from people who are conservative. And it seems many are. There will be no "uniting" in our lifetimes. Even another Pearl Harbor would not do it. We would hear, "It just is not worth a racist war!" Or "it is our fault they hate us!"
The President is a fink.
June 3rd, 2020 at 5:37:48 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Someone needs to eat a Snickers bar. You’re a little grumpy today.

What I was getting at was the whole peaceful assembly part that you seem to have forgotten.

OK, a post that I can respond to. No one on either side has a problem with peaceful assembly. That is not what the protests have turned into. They, sadly, are nothing more than cover for criminals to loot stores. Now of course the majority of the people involved in the protests are not looters. But in a civilized society, our elected officials have the responsibility to permit peaceful protest while at the same time protecting property and life. The African-American Mayor of Buffalo (who I like a lot) has just basically said the same thing, while instituting an 8pm curfew. Liberal elected officials across the country have done similar. Do you think these leaders are breaking the 1st amendment by stopping "peaceful assembly" at 8 pm?

It is interesting that many on the right have felt that the Governors' prohibiting religious assemblies (in churches, mosques, etc..) was violating the right to religious freedom.

Edit.... as far as grumpy, I guess so. I am so sad for all the hard working businessmen that put in a life's worth of effort to build an operate their stores, many here in Buffalo on the fringes of the 'bad' neighborhoods. I have a friend who owns a furniture store in a bad neighborhood. It looks like it is used stuff by the way the layout is. But it is new stuff. Cheaper than the 'regular' stores, probably lower quality. Lots of people buy on credit. I just texted him to find out if the locals decided they wanted free furniture.

I also wonder how many others are like me, in that although the death toll is certainly less than 20 so far, that this makes me way sadder than the pandemic.
June 3rd, 2020 at 8:26:36 AM permalink
RonC
My investment portfolio has now surpassed the value it held on 2/12/2020 (the day the DOW was the highest) by a substantial amount. My retirement may not have to be put off as long as I thought it would be...though that could always change with another big downward swing! We are getting there one day at a time...

I did make a play that helped, but is not the sole reason for the increase...I bought a nice amount of Penn @ $6.11 and it is now at $32 or so

The market is coming back strong, now hopefully we will get the shut down behind us and the rioting part of the equation controlled and people all over can go back to work safely. I am hoping the economy makes a comeback as quickly as is reasonable...and not just to aid in a potential Trump reelection. No, I am always a fan of a better economy as opposed to a bad one.
June 3rd, 2020 at 9:39:09 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO
many here in Buffalo on the fringes of the 'bad' neighborhoods.

There are 'good' neighborhoods in
Buffalo? I always considered it one
of those places you were sentenced
to live because you can't escape.
I only ever see pics of winters that
are 8 months long.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 3rd, 2020 at 10:00:17 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Now this is just sad:

Quote:
President Trump tells Brian Kilmeade it was a false report that he was taken to the underground bunker amid protests, though he confirms he did go to the bunker. He says he went in the day and it was "more for an inspection." "I was there for a tiny, short little period of time."

Why does he lie about the dumbest sh**??? Does anyone really believe #BunkerBoy went down there to “inspect” it? lol
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 3rd, 2020 at 10:14:08 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: ams288
Why does he lie about the dumbest sh**??? Does anyone really believe #BunkerBoy went down there to “inspect” it? lol

It is dumb to lie about this in anyway. He is likely acting out in reaction to the stories saying that he "moved" to the bunker, which makes it sound kind of like he was scared and ran on down there to be safe. Presidents don't generally "move" to the bunker of their own free will; the Secret Service moves the protectee down there when they deem it necessary. Not much choice for the individual in the matter.

This would have been better handled by a fair and honest press reporting what really happens instead of making him look bad...but they won't do that.

It is still dumb, though....