No votes (0%)
2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

June 3rd, 2020 at 3:15:44 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
I guess CNN is lamenting the market going up and trying to say that it is broken.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/investing/stocks-market-dow-jones-riots-coronavirus/index.html

They are idiots. The market isn't the economy as a whole, and it always has varied reactions to things going on now and expectations for the future. The trend now is pricing in the expected reopening and recovery, which could be a "fail" if it doesn't happen in the way they are figuring it will.

Nothing new there; sometimes the market is right and sometimes it is wrong.

No, I think this is a different force at work. CNN enjoyed the market being down because of what it meant moving towards the election (and, hopefully not to the individuals who had investments drop way down) and now they hate it because it has come back strongly even though overall uncertainty exists. If the market rising and a recovery favored Biden, they'd be singing a different song.

I've been in the market since the early 80's. It acts in ways that you wouldn't expect at times.That is just the way it is.
June 3rd, 2020 at 3:19:44 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC
I guess CNN is lamenting the market going up and trying to say that it is broken.

Who cares
I'm thrilled I will have more money for retirement
The economy still sucks. A gazillion still unemployed.
This is the perfect example that the stock market and the general economy are 2 different things
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 3rd, 2020 at 3:23:33 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
Who cares
I'm thrilled I will have more money for retirement
The economy still sucks. A gazillion still unemployed.
This is the perfect example that the stock market and the general economy are 2 different things

That is what I said...the market moves the way it moves based on what people price into it, not as a direct reaction to the economy as it is today.

Again, the story was only written to make sure that any tiny bit of success in any segment of our system was not seen as a success lest Trump get credit.

Your success in the market, which I am happy that you are having, goes against the narrative they want to present.

Reality is that the market could easily take a huge hit if the things that are being priced in don't happen they way they think they will.
June 3rd, 2020 at 3:38:49 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
The market has gone up every
day this week since the riots
started. 529 today alone. Why?
Experts are saying every day it
goes on it guarantee's a
reelection for Trump. Heard it
everywhere. So keep looting,
Libbies. lol

I’d say there’s about 40 million unemployed Americans who couldn’t disagree more. Thanks Donny!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 3rd, 2020 at 4:22:02 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
I’d say there’s about 40 million unemployed Americans who couldn’t disagree more. Thanks Donny!

Not due specifically to "Donnie", but most of the 40 million are making more being unemployed. Add the free $1200, for both you and your stay at home wife, then the extra $600 a week on top of the state unemployment money, the cheaper gas and energy costs, the decrease in car insurance rates, the fewer options for disposable income, the free public transportation in many big cities, the tax payment extension, the lack of needing to pay for child care, the refunds of dorm fees, the free food available for anyone willing to get in a line, etc.... and it is only the 'rich' who are doing worse during this pandemic. The filthy rich small business owner who had his store trashed. The filthy rich restaurateur who was taking advantage of his employees. The rest of the 40 million are doing JUST FINE. I know a boatload of people making more by being unemployed, especially when you count in the stupid extra $1200. THEY DON"T WANT TO GET OFF THE GRAVY TRAIN. I believe terapined has said how happy he is to partake in the largesse. Free money. Market coming back. Camper packed!
June 3rd, 2020 at 4:49:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
The market has gone up every
day this week since the riots
started. 529 today alone. Why?
Experts are saying every day it
goes on it guarantee's a
reelection for Trump. Heard it
everywhere. So keep looting,
Libbies. lol

I heard Trump's going to be the turkey in November.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 3rd, 2020 at 4:50:15 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
Not due specifically to "Donnie", but most of the 40 million are making more being unemployed. Add the free $1200, for both you and your stay at home wife, then the extra $600 a week on top of the state unemployment money, the cheaper gas and energy costs, the decrease in car insurance rates, the fewer options for disposable income, the free public transportation in many big cities, the tax payment extension, the lack of needing to pay for child care, the refunds of dorm fees, the free food available for anyone willing to get in a line, etc.... and it is only the 'rich' who are doing worse during this pandemic. The filthy rich small business owner who had his store trashed. The filthy rich restaurateur who was taking advantage of his employees. The rest of the 40 million are doing JUST FINE. I know a boatload of people making more by being unemployed, especially when you count in the stupid extra $1200. THEY DON"T WANT TO GET OFF THE GRAVY TRAIN. I believe terapined has said how happy he is to partake in the largesse. Free money. Market coming back. Camper packed!

I totally understand your position on the unemployment. I think it’s a sign that employers need to PAY THEIR EMPLOYEES MORE.

But remember, Donny signed the bill. He could have vetoed if any of that was outrageous to him. He wanted his name on those checks.

I know Dems want to extend that extra $600/week past July. Lindsey Graham (one of the original objectors) was musing today about maybe making it $300 instead.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 3rd, 2020 at 5:23:02 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: ams288
I totally understand your position on the unemployment. I think it’s a sign that employers need to PAY THEIR EMPLOYEES MORE.

But remember, Donny signed the bill. He could have vetoed if any of that was outrageous to him. He wanted his name on those checks.

I know Dems want to extend that extra $600/week past July. Lindsey Graham (one of the original objectors) was musing today about maybe making it $300 instead.

I agree.

I think it showed in the increased wages offered by manu stores during the pandemic desperate for workers.

It shows that its probably the wages that they should have been paying the whole time....
June 3rd, 2020 at 5:52:35 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
The people had better enjoy the holiday while everything is nice and the money flows like water.

There is a flip side to all this easy money.

There are still 10k boomers coming of age every single day. Can you imagine their disappointment if they had went to cash in their 401k's and the fed hadn't just flooded the market with fresh trillions? Nothing sadder than the current generation expecting to be on easy street from retirement accounts that they have been reading the statements from, for a couple decades now.

The only way, for .gov, to make good on the promises they've made since the beginning of SS, is for the notional payments on the SS checks paid to boomers to be paid, is for the real value of those payments to be worth far less than they would appear.

For retirement hopefuls, showing up at the SS office with expectations assumed over decades, receiving a reduced overall number on those checks or worse yet, no check at all, they would be considerably more angry if they didn't get a benefit at all, then if they do get a benefit, but it's worth half what they've come to understand during their working lives.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 3rd, 2020 at 6:09:43 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
wow, quite the statement by James Mattis

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/06/james-mattis-denounces-trump-protests-militarization/612640/

Queue trump worshippers calling Mattis a hack