Multiple covers of classic songs

December 26th, 2014 at 11:23:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Not terrible.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 30th, 2015 at 5:22:13 PM permalink
rxwine
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 2nd, 2015 at 6:21:33 PM permalink
rxwine
I was listening to couple different covers of this song, and you really shouldn't do it unless you can get the high part towards the end. A couple people didn't hit it, one sounded like he changed sexes and became a female soprano. One girl did a nice version, but completely changed the part so it didn't occur. This guy pulls it off I think.

I used to actually think this song was by Robert Plant from Zepplin because of the voice transition.

October 3rd, 2015 at 7:30:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Five most covered pre WWII songs
Quote: SALON ®
“Goldberg Variations” Can a performance of a classical composition count as a cover?

“Amazing Grace” Published by English poet and clergyman John Newton in 1779 to commemorate his decision to abandon the slave trade, the poem “Amazing Grace” eventually became paired with a tune called “New Britain.” It was sung extensively during the 19th century, and it’s remained a favorite in both black and white gospel traditions. The a cappella Sacred Harp version from 1922 is thought to be the first recorded performance. Since then there have been more than 7,000, by everyone from Mahalia Jackson to Paul Robeson to Destiny’s Child to Rod Stewart.

“St. Louis Blues” W.C. Handy’s 1914 song remains a standard in the jazz repertoire, and has been covered by numerous blues and country performers as well. The most famous version is the spectacular collaboration between Bessie Smith and Louis Armstrong from 1925

“Summertime” George Gershwin’s famous aria from the 1935 opera “Porgy and Bess” is one of the all-time great examples of cross-cultural American music. Inspired by African-American spirituals and based on a Ukrainian Yiddish lullaby, it’s been covered by more than 33,000 performers in a range of genres and idioms. Janis Joplin’s version is probably the best known

“Sweet Home Chicago” is generally attributed to Robert Johnson, who recorded it in 1936, though it seems to have been based on earlier songs by Kokomo Arnold and others.

October 7th, 2015 at 8:36:25 AM permalink
Pacomartin

British Jazz singer, "Foxes", doing a cover of the Queen song for Doctor Who.

October 8th, 2015 at 5:34:12 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I think Elton John's rendition of Pinball Wizard was much better than the original by The Who.

Emmylou Harris improved just about every song by another artist she did.

direct link.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 8th, 2015 at 4:01:41 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Heather Headley (broadway star) said it was terrifying to do "I Will Always Love You". Even though it is Dolly Parton's song, it was so associated with Whitney Houston that has become iconic. I think she made her own unique version.

October 12th, 2015 at 1:36:39 AM permalink
rxwine
My sister just sent me this one. Lots and lots of covers of this - these are some talented kids.

Quote:
the winner in the Getzen Trumpet Small Trumpet Ensemble Division performs J.S Bach’s “Toccata and Fugue in d minor” at the 2015 National Trumpet Competition at Messiah College

January 28th, 2016 at 6:08:51 PM permalink
rxwine
I won't even try to guess how many musicians have covered "Stairway to Heaven" but I doubt few did it while the members of Led Zeppelin watched in the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFxOaDeJmXk&feature=player_embedded
January 28th, 2016 at 6:48:50 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
I won't even try to guess how many musicians have covered "Stairway to Heaven" but I doubt few did it while the members of Led Zeppelin watched in the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFxOaDeJmXk&feature=player_embedded

That is a superb version of the song. The benchmark performance for this song.
For quite a few tours after this, Heart covered a lot of Zeppelin, typically doing a 3 zeppelin song encore at their shows
Frank Zappa did Stairway a lot live but he had fun with it rather then playing it seriously
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"