Multiple covers of classic songs

Page 3 of 25<123456>Last »
September 30th, 2014 at 5:21:01 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I'm a Dylan fan.
Seen him live a bunch of times, maybe as many as 15 shows. Maybe more, probably more, I've seen a lot of concerts in my lifetime
He used to open for the Grateful Dead on several tours.
I first saw him live at RFK Stadium opening for the Grateful Dead summer tour 86.
Saw him a bunch more times as he periodically opened for the Dead on subsequent tours.
After Jerry died, Phil Lesh the bass player toured as Phil and Friends and Dylan co-headlined several tours so saw Dylan a bunch of times again.
Went to the Bonnaroo music festival in 2004 and he was one of the headliners.
Bonnaroo has changed a lot but back then they were still influenced by the Deadhead fans which audio tape all concerts.
I remember being in the audio taper section with all our microphones high in the air on mic stands.
Dylan hates tapers, does not allow it. Several shows with Phil and Friends, we had to keep all our audio equipment all packed up till Dylans set was over then we could set up to tape Phil
He came on stage real late, we were thinking he was probably bitching about all the mics he can see high in the air.
Anyway, although his voice is pretty much shot now (never a great voice to begin with), he still puts on a pretty good shows with some excellent musicians backing him. The material of course is top notch.
Last time I saw him was several years ago at the Bright House Field, a minor league baseball park. Dylan and Willie Nelson put together a tour playing minor league baseball parks. The recording came out great :-)
My favorite song from the modern Dylan era "High Water for Charlie Patton"
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 30th, 2014 at 6:08:11 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: TheCesspit
I just don't get the love of Bob Dylan. Never could stand his voice or find his song writing that appealing.

Oh well, it's okay, you can dismiss my musical tastes now ;)

My dad was into pure crooner's music (Dean, Bing., Mel Torme) and it took awhile for me to appreciate any voice outside that sound. because all I heard was mostly smooth voices, in tune,. when I was growing up.

Not just Dylan but Mick Jagger, Johnny Cash. Stevie Wonder was unlistenable. Not anymore.

James Brown is about the only one I never warmed up to.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 30th, 2014 at 8:17:55 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Face
Neat thread =)

I thought so.

There is no dubstep version of "Don't Think Twice", which solidifies it's spot as one of the few "perfect songs".

Excuse the old man, but who is the biggest dubstep musician. I looked at a list of dozens of them and I didn't even recognize the names of a single one.
One person nominated " Skream & Benga".
September 30th, 2014 at 8:22:39 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined

Last time I saw him was several years ago at the Bright House Field, a minor league baseball park. Dylan and Willie Nelson put together a tour playing minor league baseball parks. The recording came out great :-)

Was that '09, with Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, and Dylan? That was a great show, Denny Freeman was the lead guitar and Dylan played mostly keyboard. My daughter asked to go for her high school graduation, so I got her a couple tix and I kind of went off by myself and kept an eye on the girls from afar. He toured with Nelson in '10 as well, but without Johnny Cougar.

Dylan hates cameras, too...

In Allentown he opened with "Leopardskin Pillbox Hat", which was awesome. I never, ever thought that I would hear Dylan sing that live. Blogs of the '09 tour say that the shows in Washington PA (the night before) and Allentown were fantastic, with Washington being a bit better, but Allentown still right on target. You never know what you get with Dylan, one night he is into it and the next night he isn't.
September 30th, 2014 at 8:27:52 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Pacomartin

Excuse the old man, but who is the biggest dubstep musician. I looked at a list of dozens of them and I didn't even recognize the names of a single one.
One person nominated " Skream & Benga".

You've probably heard Skrillex and Deadmau5, even if you've never heard of them. Their "music" is in a lot of commercials and movies.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 30th, 2014 at 8:29:45 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: TheCesspit
I just don't get the love of Bob Dylan. Never could stand his voice or find his song writing that appealing.

Same here. I won't argue that he's a legend. I just can't listen to it.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 30th, 2014 at 8:38:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
When you talk about Dylan, I'm amazed at
the number of people who don't know
he's 100% Jewish. Both sets of grandparents
came from Russia and Lithuania. Bobby
Zimmerman was a kid of the 40's and
50's, and by 1961 was already performing
his songs in clubs in Greenwich Village.
Bob Dylan has been around longer than
almost everybody who's still around, and
that's saying something.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 30th, 2014 at 8:49:21 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Evenbob
When you talk about Dylan, I'm amazed at
the number of people who don't know
he's 100% Jewish. Both sets of grandparents
came from Russia and Lithuania. Bobby
Zimmerman was a kid of the 40's and
50's, and by 1961 was already performing
his songs in clubs in Greenwich Village.
Bob Dylan has been around longer than
almost everybody who's still around, and
that's saying something.

The only other time I saw Dylan was 1963, I was 9. My mother took my two older sisters and me to see him and Joan Baez at The Syria Mosque in Pittsburgh. I confess to remembering about 15 seconds of it. If that. She was always trying to make us aware. She took me to see Pete Seeger a couple years later. In '69 we saw the Jim Kweskin Jug Band. Stuff like that.
September 30th, 2014 at 9:00:46 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Dylan himself is almost unlistenable for me. The nasal tenor is really tough. Same with Neil Young.

However, if you READ Dylan, you begin to appreciate what his lyrics bring out.

And if you can find covers by real singers, it's even better.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
September 30th, 2014 at 9:04:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Same here. I won't argue that he's a legend. I just can't listen to it.

Yeah?

In their 2008 assessment of the "100 Greatest Singers", Rolling Stone magazine ranked him at number seven. Rolling Stone then ranked Dylan at number two in its 2011 list of "100 Greatest Artists" of all time, while "Like A Rolling Stone" was listed as the "Greatest Song of all Time."

That's the bible of the biz, Rolling Stone. Dylan is ranked
7th, number 2 greatest artist, with Rolling Stone as best
song ever. It's certainly Dylan's best, the lyrics kill. I was
in 11th grade when RS came on the radio, it was like
nothing we'd ever heard before.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 3 of 25<123456>Last »