Multiple covers of classic songs

Page 4 of 24<1234567>Last »
October 1st, 2014 at 5:23:35 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Edie Sedgewick must have been quite something, to have had songs written about her by two different iconic pop artists. ("Like A Rolling Stone" by Dylan and "Femme Fatale" by Lou Reed.)
October 1st, 2014 at 9:54:26 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I suppose you have to thank Baum for this one, because I can't see it lasting all these years without the push from the epic story.

I'm not saying Garland had no talent; quite the opposite. It's just that the song is kind of cheesy. My criticism aside, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" has to be one of the eternal classics. (1939? Good Christ)

Ray Charles tried inject some soul into it, although his version, for me, has an unmistakable "Christmas vibe" to it. I dunno what it is, but this version makes me think of snow covered evergreens and crackling fires.

The huge names of long ago covered it, like Ella Fitzgerald

Clapton tried bringing the blues, and you can almost drink to it (but it still sounds like Xmas music =p).

And Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole took it to the tropics.

But just to point out how weird it is, even Hendrix couldn't "fix" it. Hearing this doesn't take me to my happy Hendrix spot. Instead, it sounds like something that should be playing as the credits roll for "Top Gun" (C'mon, tell me you don't hear it =p)

And I love Willie, and he does it well, but even he can't break through the chains of the song (dunno who the girl is with the poorly done boobs in the video. It's the internet =p)

But look long enough and you'll find it. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes did what it took, and somehow dropped the cheese with this punk version.

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 1st, 2014 at 10:44:13 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Face
Same here. I won't argue that he's a legend. I just can't listen to it.

For me, he's like Bruce Springsteen. It's a slice of Americana I don't connect with.

On the other side, any musician who can inspire and inflame and get people roused up is doing their job. So I'm not dimissing Bob, I just don't care for him myself.

As for dubstep, Deadmau5 is probably the epitome of the style, but you can find a stream here : http://somafm.com/dubstep/

Heavy EBM/Industrial shares much of the same energy and styles, less wibbly, shifted phased beats and noises though. The rhythms remind me a lot of Jungle from the late 90's. It's all high energy dance music, to connect straight into the semi-concious brain, to make you move. I listen to it to make my brain concentrate, though I'd say most of the time the mid-tempo stuff is better for working to. SomaFM has a whole set of channels that are good for background music for various uses.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 1st, 2014 at 12:35:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

I'm not saying Garland had no talent; quite the opposite. It's just that the song is kind of cheesy.

Of course it's cheezy, it's from a kids movie
75 years ago. No more cheezy than half
the songs from any Disney animated kids
movie in the last 20 years.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 17th, 2014 at 7:14:58 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
(dunno who the girl is with the poorly done boobs in the video. It's the internet =p)

Ninel Paloma Herrera Conde (age 44) from Toluca Mexico. She is a TV actress turned singer (it's usually the other way around).

Mandy Patinkin on David Letterman
October 18th, 2014 at 12:07:59 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

Mandy Patinkin on David Letterman

Wow, that brought tears to my eyes. That much
talent at your disposal to unleash at will. Stunning.

This one is great. Watch his body language as he
puts everything he has into getting his voice to
produce all it's got. Talent unhinged..

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 18th, 2014 at 5:19:24 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
Wow, that brought tears to my eyes

He has a 1990 album simply called "Mandy Patinkin" with all those tracks. He sang #1, #4, and #10 on Letterman with Tony Randall as a sidekick. My favorite is #4.

1. Over The Rainbow
2. Coffee In A Cardboard Cup
3. Pretty Lady
4. Brother, Can You Spare A Dime
5. Love, Unrequited, Robs Me Of My Rest
6. No More
7. Me And My Shadow
8. No One Is Alone
9. Sonny Boy
10. Rock-A-Bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody/'Casey'
11. And The Band Played On
12. Marie
13. Once Upon A Time
14. Anyone Can Whistle
15. Soliloquy
16. I'll Be Seeing You
17. There's A Rainbow 'Round My Shoulder
18. Top Hat, White Tie And Tails
19. Puttin On The Ritz
20. Alexander's Ragtime Band
21. Swanee
22. My Mammy
23. Handful Of Keys
24. Pennies From Heaven

October 20th, 2014 at 11:34:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
What the hell is a Zendrum you ask? Or maybe you didn't. (She does a nice cover, but I swear she plays like a woman paid to give a handjob who is kinda bored. lol )

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 21st, 2014 at 12:04:22 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: rxwine
What the hell is a Zendrum you ask?

Interesting, actually patented 20 years ago, it is becoming more popular.
December 19th, 2014 at 1:37:51 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Too often I think of the bassoon as squawking, but this is very mellow,

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 4 of 24<1234567>Last »