Multiple covers of classic songs

Page 1 of 251234>Last »
September 26th, 2014 at 10:47:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Post your favorite songs that have multiple covers (all of them good).

For example "La malagueña Saleros" may have originated in 1947, but whose authoriship is disputed. It may be much older. Hundreds of recordings exist.
September 26th, 2014 at 11:56:15 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
For a second there, I thought you meant all the covers I find have to be good -- which has got to be practically impossible these days.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 26th, 2014 at 10:17:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Here's something I came across recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBmCJEehYtU
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 27th, 2014 at 3:57:21 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: rxwine
For a second there, I thought you meant all the covers I find have to be good -- which has got to be practically impossible these days.

Anyone can do a song and put it on youtube. So sooner or later you will get a mediocre one. I meant only post the good covers.

Caterina Valente is age 83, and she has an incredible voice, but the style in the early 1960's is overproduced for most modern taste.
September 27th, 2014 at 4:16:50 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83

A shortened version by Roy Clark (complete with weird 70's television production)

September 27th, 2014 at 8:41:18 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
If you start with a great song, you get great covers. But sometimes you can only hear the song once... sorry for the long ad on the first one, it is random though and you might not get it.

September 27th, 2014 at 8:47:18 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22

September 28th, 2014 at 1:23:10 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: aceofspades
A shortened version by Roy Clark (complete with weird 70's television production)

Malagueña is a Cuban song from the late 1920's, while Malagueña Salerosa is a Mexican song from the 1940's.

Connie Francis made the first one a big hit.

Caterina Valenti did both songs (the earlier one was posted before)
September 29th, 2014 at 10:08:16 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Behind Blue Eyes - The Who, a song about being venegful and misunderstood and yiung, that starts with a soft vocal and then rocks out before the end.

Behind Blue Eyes - Limp Bizkit, a song where Fred Durst tries to show some sort of emotional range while seducing Halle Berry in a mental hospital.

Behind Blue Eyes - Sheryl Crow, a song which is done beautifully well, to start, and then rocks out with a countrified rock out of the original.

I like all three of these versions... the following, well.... maybe not so much.

Behind Blue Eyes - Rupert Head, playing Giles in Buffy. It's not One Night in Bangkok, but it's also much less campy.

Behind Blue Eyes - Paula Fernandes, takes a Spanish guitar version with some piano stylings, losing much in the raw emotion to make a easy light version, and no bite at all. I hardly believe she has dreams, let along vengeance that she needs to bite back on.

Behind Blue Eyes - Within Temptation, a song where the producer decided that a pretty goth girl with a good voice needed a lot more guitar, drums and synth. This producer was very wrong, and obviously listened to too much Evanescence.

Behind Blue Eyes - A dubstep remix of Fred Durst's version. Oh god, why bother? There's no need for this, and I say that as someone who often uses dubstep to to keep me from distraction at work when on long detailed tasks.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 29th, 2014 at 3:07:03 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Neat thread =)

I'll go with Dylan's "Don't Think Twice". It's neither profound nor complicated. It's simply an easy song that any single person can relate to. Perhaps that's why it's been covered by over 40 famous acts and countless amateurs.

If you want to speed it up and make it more sexy, just add Elvis.

Want it to be more intimate and sad, give it to Baez.

And if Dolly did it, it's gotta be good.

You can hear it in the rough, spoken word style of Cash

And even corny folk can't ruin it.

Of course, the mood of the song is only perfectly complimented by proper country.

But even if you discover the song as an angst filled teen (like I did), there's a version out there you can relate to.

There is no dubstep version of "Don't Think Twice", which solidifies it's spot as one of the few "perfect songs".
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 1 of 251234>Last »