Multiple covers of classic songs

February 5th, 2016 at 4:41:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
That is a superb version of the song. The benchmark performance for this song.

Now that the Wilson sisters are in their early 60's, and Led Zeppelin is in their late 60's, and early 70's , and the POTUS is age 54, I really feel old.
February 5th, 2016 at 8:12:30 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Great thread. Please excuse the revisit of Mandy Patinkin, (since he was the original on this, not a cover, and he got discussed over a year ago) but he's been a favorite of mine since 1979, when I heard Evita -Original Broadway Cast for the first time. It was our constant soundtrack in shop that year. Patty LuPone is great, but Mandy as Che Guevara just blows the roof off. No one has touched him in the role, including the movie, whoever that was.

You have to listen to the whole soundtrack like reading a book (It's a completely sung show, so you're not missing dialogue, and it's worth the journey) to fully appreciate the range and mastery he demonstrated (he sings about 10-12 times in the show, mostly shorter breaks), but the song I pulled below was the showstopper for him. The intro gives some idea what's happening leading up to his song. The song itself (him with the chorus) begins at 2:20. Just...goosebumps, even 40 years later. Give it the headset or full volume treatment just short of ear damage (loud but worth it).

BTW, this is pulled from the middle of the entire soundtrack with pretty good fidelity, so if you're interested, it comes up from the beginning on the right of the youtube page.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 5th, 2016 at 11:48:42 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: beachbumbabs
Great thread. Please excuse the revisit of Mandy Patinkin, (since he was the original on this, not a cover, and he got discussed over a year ago) but he's been a favorite of mine since 1979, when I heard Evita -Original Broadway Cast for the first time. It was our constant soundtrack in shop that year. Patty LuPone is great, but Mandy as Che Guevara just blows the roof off. No one has touched him in the role, including the movie, whoever that was.

I agree with your enthusiasm about Mandy Patinkin. He was not even age 27 when he began the role on Broadway. But he wasn't the original as it was a rock album and a London performance before it opened in NYC.

If you listen to the rock album you see how much MP changed the singing. A decade Colm Wilkinson would originate the role of the Phantom, for which is better remembered.

Original Album (1976) Colm Wilkinson
Original West End Cast (1978)David Essex
Original Broadway Cast (1979) Mandy Patinkin
February 6th, 2016 at 6:07:28 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Pacomartin
I agree with your enthusiasm about Mandy Patinkin. He was not even age 27 when he began the role on Broadway. But he wasn't the original as it was a rock album and a London performance before it opened in NYC.

If you listen to the rock album you see how much MP changed the singing. A decade Colm Wilkinson would originate the role of the Phantom, for which is better remembered.
Original Album (1976) Colm Wilkinson
Original West End Cast (1978)David Essex
Original Broadway Cast (1979) Mandy Patinkin

Well parsed, Paco! I meant that he originated the role on Broadway, did not know who had done the role for a recording before that, but of course it originated in London; didn't think about it. Heard Joseph (also Rice/Lloyd Weber) long before it was on Broadway, and it was very different too. Preferred that soundtrack to any since on Joseph, come to think of it. Maybe it's a bias towards how you first receive the music, more than the artist.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 6th, 2016 at 11:35:02 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: beachbumbabs
Maybe it's a bias towards how you first receive the music, more than the artist.

I don't think so. If you listen to all three recordings side by side, the NY version is clearly superior. Mandy Patinkin's voice is angelic.
January 30th, 2017 at 8:24:08 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Vázquez Sounds is a musical trio formed by siblings Abe, Gustavo and Angela "Angie" Vázquez originating from the city of Mexicali, Baja California, in Mexico rocketing to fame with their cover of Rolling in the Deep by Adele. Jackie Chan does a good version mimicking the throat singing of Mongolia.

January 30th, 2017 at 8:54:24 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
. Jackie Chan does a good version mimicking the throat singing of Mongolia.

Mongolian throat singing absolutely blows me away
I am a huge Bela Fleck and the Flecktones fan
Saw them whenever the tour hit the local area
One tour they brought with them Ondar Kongar-Ol
I was front row center with my audio recording equipment
I was completely blown away
Here is Ondar from that memorable Flecktones tour.
This is a video of the actual show I was at
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 1st, 2017 at 2:03:53 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: terapined
Mongolian throat singing absolutely blows me away

A surprisingly sexy Inuit throat singing.
February 1st, 2017 at 6:44:51 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I don't think so. If you listen to all three recordings side by side, the NY version is clearly superior. Mandy Patinkin's voice is angelic.

The first video was removed. I'm only familiar with David Essex and Antonio Banderas versions. I like for former much more. I've never thought Banderas was a good pick for Evita.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 4th, 2017 at 9:40:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I don't know if Streisand's voice is ever going to fail. She may die with it in perfect shape the way she's going. I just discovered her VEVO channel.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?