Spanish Word of the Day

May 20th, 2014 at 7:47:47 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
I'll bet you $500 if you say that to anyone in Mexico, you'll get to find out what incomprehension looks like.

Look at the definition in English
peremptory (especially of a person's manner or actions) insisting on immediate attention or obedience, especially in a brusquely imperious way.
"“Just do it!” came the peremptory reply"
synonyms: brusque, imperious, high-handed, brisk, abrupt, summary, commanding, dictatorial, autocratic, overbearing, dogmatic, arrogant, overweening, lordly, magisterial, authoritarian;

In English the word is used primarily as a legal word.

In the Wizard's example "urgencia" would be more appropriate.
May 20th, 2014 at 8:00:47 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
In the Wizard's example "urgencia" would be more appropriate.

That's the least of it.

Asear = to clean or wash
Aseo = the act of cleaning or washing

When used as a noun it can mean anything from bathing or showering to brushing one's teeth, or the actions invovled in cleaning a room (sweeping, vaccuming, dusting, mopping, etc). I've never heard anyone anywhere euqate it with either using a toilet or with a place where toilets can be found.

I'm not saying no South or Central American dialects use it that way, but I think I'd heard of it if any did (then, too, things and slang change).

I should really dig up obscure English words and start using them regularly.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 20th, 2014 at 8:30:07 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I've never heard anyone anywhere equate it with either using a toilet or with a place where toilets can be found.
I'm not saying no South or Central American dialects use it that way, but I think I'd heard of it if any did (then, too, things and slang change).

I think it is used in European Spanish for the room.

May 20th, 2014 at 9:08:31 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
I think it is used in European Spanish for the room.

I can say for sure that the word for bathroom in the Harry Potter books is aseo. It came up a lot in the Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, because Myrtle la Llorona lived in the girl's bathroom.

In other Spanish news, Hoy es Martes que significa Lupe esta aqui. Ella dice que la palabra para chandelier en Español es lampara. I showed here the book I'm reading referring to one as an araña but she didn't care, saying "In Mexico we call it a lampara." She never has had much patience with non-Mexican Spanish.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 20th, 2014 at 1:00:08 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
She never has had much patience with non-Mexican Spanish.

Of course. Most people don't care about dialects.

French is estimated as having 110 million native speakers and 190 million more second language speakers. It most commonly spoken in Gabon (where 80% report fluency), Mauritius (78%), Algeria (75%), Senegal and Côte d'Ivoire (70%).

I am reasonably sure that French and English are the only languages with more second language speakers than native speakers. I wonder if it has as much variation as Spanish.
May 20th, 2014 at 1:06:47 PM permalink
Nareed
I can say for sure that the word for bathroom in the Harry Potter books is aseo. It came up a lot in the Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, because Myrtle la Llorona lived in the girl's bathroom.

This is the first I ever hear of it.

I don't think it's a Spaniard usage. I've never been to Spain, but I heard plenty about their crazy way of tlaking from my dad, who travelled yearly to Madrid on business.

Quote:
She never has had much patience with non-Mexican Spanish.

It may sound like a cliche, but you can find wisdom in hired help ;)
May 20th, 2014 at 1:16:31 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I've never been to Spain, but I heard plenty about their crazy way of tlaking from my dad, who travelled yearly to Madrid on business.

Well, it is the 5th definition in the DRAE, so it has to be used somewhere.

aseo. (De asear).
1. m. Limpieza, curiosidad.
2. m. Adorno, compostura.
3. m. Esmero, cuidado.
4. m. Apostura, gentileza, buena disposición.
5. m. cuarto de aseo.

Spanish Restroom Sign October 8, 2011

The word does have a cognate in English, but it is somewhat convoluted
Spanish asear comes from Latin assidere from Latin assideo from ad (“to”) + sedeō (“sit; settle down”).

It must have referred to a person who sits down next to you and bathes you.
Descendents include the English words assiduous which mean hard-working or diligent and sometimes carried a connotation of servility.
May 20th, 2014 at 9:05:48 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Fecha: 21-5-14
Palabra: Ocaso

Today's SWD means sunset.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to compare and contrase ocaso y atardecer.

Ejemplo time.

El alguacil dice que necisito salir la pueblo por ocaso. = The sheriff said I need to leave town by sunset.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 21st, 2014 at 6:10:27 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Fecha: 21-5-14
Palabra: Ocaso

Today's SWD means sunset.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to compare and contrase ocaso y atardecer.

Ejemplo time.

El alguacil dice que necisito salir la pueblo por ocaso. = The sheriff said I need to leave town by sunset.

ocaso (Del lat. occāsus) m. Puesta del Sol, o de otro astro, al transponer el horizonte.
atardecer m. Último período de la tarde.

They are both translated as sunset, but the first word is describing the physical phenomena, and the second is describing the time of day.

Crepúsculo can refer to twilight at dawn or at dusk. It was the translation used for the film "Breaking Dawn"
May 21st, 2014 at 6:33:30 AM permalink
Nareed

"...salir DEL pueblo AL ocaso."
"Por ocaso," makes it seem like a route. That is, you'll be leaving town through sunset :)