Spanish Word of the Day

May 21st, 2014 at 8:52:26 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
"Por ocaso," makes it seem like a route. That is, you'll be leaving town through sunset :)

I had no idea what preposition to use there. My policy is, "when in doubt, use por."

push_ups+=10; for the la puebo.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 21st, 2014 at 1:35:55 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
My policy is, "when in doubt, use por."

I was thinking about "por favor" which is universally translated as "please". In reality "as a favor" is probably a more accurate translation.
But once again the "por<->for" translation is not true.

You will not that in the article: Translating 'By' to Spanish: English Preposition Has Many Meanings not once does he suggest using 'al' as a translation.
May 21st, 2014 at 2:35:22 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
I was thinking about "por favor" which is universally translated as "please". In reality "as a favor" is probably a more accurate translation.

I would also take de nada to literally mean "It was nothing." I'm not sure people mean it that way in Spanish, but if somebody thanked me for a HUGE favor and said "thank you" I would belittle the favor by saying "it was nothing."
May 21st, 2014 at 2:52:17 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
But once again the "por<->for" translation is not true.

No, the exact translation is "please." Even when used as "Me haces favor de...." or "Me harías favor de..." or even "Te pido de favor..." it all means "please."

But then both in English and Spanish (and likely most if not all languages) these terms can be defined as "a meaningless word signifying one is asking nicely."

If you're asking for a favor, you say "¿Me puedes hacer UN favor?" or "¿Te puedo pedir UN favor?"

Think of it as the meaningful un as opposed to English's meaningless do :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 21st, 2014 at 3:00:00 PM permalink
Nareed
I would also take de nada to literally mean "It was nothing." I'm not sure people mean it that way in Spanish, but if somebody thanked me for a HUGE favor and said "thank you" I would belittle the favor by saying "it was nothing."

And as long as you keep being overliteral you'll keep having a hard time with the language.

If "por favor" and "please" are "menaingless words signifying one is asking nicely," then "de nada" and "you're welcome" are "meaningless terms signifying one responded politely." What does "You're welcome" means literally? You're not welcoming someone to a place, station, rank, group, etc. You're not telling them they can help themselves to something. So what does it mean, literally?

At this point I would recommend you read John McWhorter "Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue." You'll realize quickly how little any language makes strict literal sense. It's a short read and very entertaining.
May 22nd, 2014 at 6:41:37 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 22-5-14
Palabra: Coraje

Today's SWD means courage.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to find or deny any common etymology between the English and Spanish words.

Ejemplo time.

El león le pidió al Mago por coraje. = The lion asked the Wizard for courage.

In other Spanish news, I had a haircut today with Suzie. She loves cats and seems to put an "ita" at the end of all their names. Her latest cat is osita (little bear).

May 22nd, 2014 at 6:53:20 AM permalink
Nareed
El león le pidió al Mago por coraje. = The lion asked the Wizard for courage.

It can mean courage, but these days it usually means something that makes one angry, an angry tantrum, and more rarely plain anger. The common term for courage is "valor."

In your example, therefore, it seems the Lion is asking the Wizard to anger him. And in any case it whousl read "..le pidió coraje al Mago." or "...le pidió al mago coraje." The presposition is superfluous.
May 22nd, 2014 at 10:46:06 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
It can mean courage, but these days it usually means something that makes one angry, an angry tantrum, and more rarely plain anger. The common term for courage is "valor."

These comments look familiar (July 4, 2012)

I've mentioned an Argentine commedy music troupe called Les Luthiers. They do use the word "coraje" for courage often, when called for. But they affect a pompous and quaint style on purpose, it's part of their act. In a scene from "El Adelantado Don Rodrigo Díaz de Carreras, etc, etc...." The narrator says something like:
¡Firme! ¡Firme ante el enemigo!
¡Con coraje, Don Rodrigo!
Y Don Rodrigo firmó la rendición.

That's a pun that can't be easily translated into English.

Quote: pacomartin
Sign! Sign with the enemy! With a fit, Don Rodrigo! And Don Rodrgo signed and surrendered.

The pun is part of a longer joke. You're led to believe the narrator is urging Rodrigo to stand fast against the enemy, only to learn he was urging him to sign a surrender.

So etymologically coraje and courage are from the same root (Latin 'cor' meaning 'heart') but they no longer carry the same meaning.

It's such a famous chorus in the Wizard of Oz, that I wonder how it is translated? I think I asked Nareed that two years ago, and she said she doesn't watch dubbed movies.
May 22nd, 2014 at 12:57:36 PM permalink
Nareed
Link to what Paco said:

http://wizardofvegas.com/forum/questions-and-answers/casual-corner/5276-spanish-word-of-the-day/314/#post158569

No, I won't say anything about repeat words.

Really, not one thing.
May 22nd, 2014 at 5:41:28 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Sorry about the repeat word. Given that it was almost two years old, I hope I won't get too many push-ups for it.