Spanish Word of the Day

May 24th, 2014 at 3:06:07 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
I suppose the following sentence might imply he was sleeping, which would be incompatible with him blinking,
Despereaux se acostaba sobre su espalda, abriendo y cerrando los ojos.

No, but people would wonder how often this guy lay down on his back.

I'm not goign to explain, because i don't know the reasons, but the sentence you used first, namely "Despereaux yacía sobre su espalda, abriendo y cerrando los ojos." is correct. but the sentence above is wrong. It should be "Despereaux estaba acostado sobre..."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 25th, 2014 at 8:51:37 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Fecha: 25-5-14
Palabra: Apio

Today's SWD means celery.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to find and explain the etymology of the word.

Ejemplo time.

Le pidí la camarera para un Maria sangriento con dos pedazos de apio. = I asked the waitress for a bloody Mary with two pieces of celery.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 25th, 2014 at 11:04:20 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Wizard
Le pidí la camarera para un Maria sangriento con dos pedazos de apio. = I asked the waitress for a bloody Mary with two pieces of celery.

We shouldn't have to go through this again: as a rule do not translate names. if you walk into a bar and ask for a "María SangrientA" what you will get is a very puzzled bartender saying "¿Que?

Now, granted bartenders,a dn wait staff, don't have a clue how to spell the names of any of these drinks, but they recognize the pronunciation. So even if they write down blodi meri, jaibol, wihsky saur (they know there is an "h" in there), etc, you'll get the right drink.

When speaking of celery, too, you want "dos trozos." But that could be a regional variation.
May 26th, 2014 at 8:08:11 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Feliz día de conmemorativo todos.

Fecha: 26-5-14
Palabra: Rizar

Today's SWD means to curl.

The question for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with enderezar (to straighten).

Ejemplo time.

Frieda tiene cabello enderezado-naturalmente = Frieda has naturally-curly hair.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 26th, 2014 at 11:34:55 AM permalink
Nareed
Ejemplo time.

Frieda tiene cabello enderezado-naturalmente = Frieda has naturally-curly hair.

Ten pushups for using the wrnog wrod? Or is that 20? ;)

In any case, the opposite of "rizar" is "alaciar." Someone with straight hair is said to have "cabello lacio."
May 26th, 2014 at 11:53:15 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Apio - Today's SWD means celery.
The assignment for the advanced readers is to find and explain the etymology of the word.

It comes from Latin "apium" which comes from "apis" -> "bee". It seems that the natural enemy of celery growers is the honey bee.
May 26th, 2014 at 12:00:38 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The question for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with enderezar (to straighten).

No common etymology. It is just coincidental that they are spelled similar.

Spanish "rizar" comes from Latin "ericius" or hedgehog.

Spanish enderezar from en + derezar is closely related to "derecho" or "directo".
May 26th, 2014 at 12:14:26 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Ten push ups for using the wrong word.

It took me a few minutes to realize what the Wizard did.
May 26th, 2014 at 3:18:23 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
It comes from Latin "apium" which comes from "apis" -> "bee".

I wonder if Claudius Appius' name has the same derivation. that would make the Appian Way a Beeline ;P

It could be at that. Roman names are somewhat complicated, carrying a name, patronimic and cognomen (whatever the hell that means). On top of that honorifics and mocking nicknames could be tacked on. Thus a not-so-famous Scipio got "Asinas" (Ass) tacked on. While his descendant got the honorific "Africanus" for his victory in Africa against Hannibal, which ended the Second Punic War.

Then there are the Pompeii, Streibo (cross-eyed) and his descendant Pompei Magnus (the Great).
May 26th, 2014 at 3:59:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
I wonder if Claudius Appius' name has the same derivation. that would make the Appian Way a Beeline ;P

It's possible since the possession of a large number of bee hives would presume that the owner was wealthy. Honey was prized in Ancient Rome, and they imported it from all over Europe. A bee was even put on a coin at one time.