Spanish Word of the Day

May 19th, 2014 at 7:11:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
However, did you know that it also means chandelier?

No. This is the first I hear of it.

A chandelier is usually called either candelero, candelabro or candil. Not once have I ever heard of any referred to as a spider.

Candelabro, though, it's most commonly used to refer to a candle holder. You can see the similarity to the English "candle," but the Spanish for candle is "vela" which also means "sail"
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 19th, 2014 at 7:42:28 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
A chandelier is usually called either candelero, candelabro or candil.

Is that also what you would call an elaborate candle holder, like the kind Liberace always had on his piano?

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 19th, 2014 at 9:38:54 AM permalink
Nareed
Is that also what you would call an elaborate candle holder, like the kind Liberace always had on his piano?

Yes.

But most spanish-speakers have no idea who Liberace is.
May 19th, 2014 at 10:47:39 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
No. This is the first I hear of it.

A chandelier is usually called either candelero, candelabro or candil. Not once have I ever heard of any referred to as a spider.

Candelabro, though, it's most commonly used to refer to a candle holder. You can see the similarity to the English "candle," but the Spanish for candle is "vela" which also means "sail"

The 4th DRAE definition: araña = Especie de candelabro sin pie y con varios brazos, que se cuelga del techo o de un pescante

It's possible that this definition is old fashioned or only used in Europe
=======
That's a strange word that means both sail and candle.

vela
* Cilindro o prisma de cera, sebo, estearina, esperma de ballena u otra materia crasa, con pabilo en el eje para que pueda encenderse y dar luz
* Conjunto o unión de paños o piezas de lona o lienzo fuerte, que, cortados de diversos modos y cosidos, se amarran a las vergas para recibir el viento que impele la nave

In English when the same word spelling means two different things, like:

bass (adj.) from Late Latin bassus "short, low"
bass (n.) freshwater fish, corruption of Old English bærs "a fish, perch" (*see note)

it is usually because they come from two different languages.

It's unusual in Spanish because both meanings of "vela" are from Latin, but from two different Latin words.

*note: It is fairly common to lose the 'r' in English words. For example you used to sit on your "arse" using the old spelling which has now lost the 'r'. Also burst has become bust, and informally curse->cuss and horse->hoss in dialectal English.
May 19th, 2014 at 5:02:46 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Does anybody know what cuerpecillo means? It doesn't come up in any of my dictionaries. It is a long sentence so here is just the ending of it:

..., con la cola muy apretada en torno a last patas traseras y su cuerpecillo temblando.
May 19th, 2014 at 6:11:51 PM permalink
Nareed
Does anybody know what cuerpecillo means?

Something like "itsy, bitsy body."
May 19th, 2014 at 8:39:22 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Does anybody know what cuerpecillo means? It doesn't come up in any of my dictionaries.

Cuerpecillo comes from CUERPO = BODY.
-cillo/a; -cito/a are diminutive suffixes.

It is a long sentence so here is just the ending of it:
..., con la cola muy apretada en torno a last patas traseras y su cuerpecillo temblando.

I don't think last is a word in Spanish. I assume you have an extra 't'.

It sounds like the text is describing a puppy with his tail wrapped tightly around his hind legs and his little body trembling.
May 20th, 2014 at 5:21:12 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 20-5-14
Palabra: perentoriedad

Today's SWD means urgency. A related word is perentoriamente, which means urgently.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to find any English words with the same prefix in etymology.

Ejemplo time.

Necesito ir al aseo con perentoriedad. = I need to go to the bathroom with urgency.
May 20th, 2014 at 6:41:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Fecha: 20-5-14
Palabra: perentoriedad

Today's SWD means urgency. A related word is perentoriamente, which means urgently.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to find any English words with the same prefix in etymology.

Ejemplo time.

Necesito ir al aseo con perentoriedad. = I need to go to the bathroom with urgency.

I think "urgencia" is the more mundane word. In English it is more of a legal term.
perentoriamente -> peremptory
perentoriedad-> peremptorily
urgencia->urgency

peremptory (adj.) "decisive," from perimpere "destroy, cut off," from per- "away entirely, to destruction" + emere "to take" (see exempt (adj.)).
Of persons or their words, "certain, assured, brooking no debate," 1580s. Related: Peremptorily.
May 20th, 2014 at 7:16:00 AM permalink
Nareed

I'll bet you $500 if you say that to anyone in Mexico, you'll get to find out what incomprehension looks like.