Google: People Also Ask

September 20th, 2023 at 2:58:57 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I've been observing a certain spider for over a month. It was cleaning up with bugs attracted to a nightlight. I was pretty sure I saw a male show up for mating, and I realized I was seeing the same scenario that you get with the Black Widow. Sure enough the much smaller new spider wound up a tiny little carcass dumped off. Cobweb type spider, not the orb weaver. So I was wondering how common this was for the type

>>>

do cobweb spiders eat their mates?

Male cobweb weavers leave their webs and go looking for females. If they find one, they approach very cautiously, because sometimes females eat the males. Female cobweb weavers lay eggs. [last sentence kind of obvious]
__

Do cobweb spiders eat other spiders?

Triangulate cobweb spider - Wikipedia
It preys on several other spiders believed to be harmful to humans, including the brown recluse.
__

Are cobweb spiders harmful?

Triangulate Cobweb Spiders Are Our Friends
Turns out the spider is a common household spider in Georgia called the triangulate cobweb spider (steatoda triangulosa). It is in the same family as the widows, but not poisonous. Phew!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 21st, 2023 at 4:22:28 AM permalink
odiousgambit
the below is the only positive sounding thing about foie gras that came up. Almost all of it is about cruelty, and the states it's banned in

I can join the anti-FG chorus since it's the sort of thing to definitely avoid for lactose intolerance. However, I once saw a free-roaming goose get fed with a tube and it looked like it liked it. It's putting them in small cages and all that which bothers me about it

>>>

Can foie gras be made humanely?

Growing concerns for animal welfare has led to an increased availability of 'humane' or 'ethical' foie gras in the market. On top of Sousa's brand La Patereria de Sousa, Spanish brand 'Labourdette' also produces 'Natural foie gras' by working with the birds' natural fat storage instinct.
September 21st, 2023 at 6:00:01 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
the below is the only positive sounding thing about foie gras that came up. Almost all of it is about cruelty, and the states it's banned in

I can join the anti-FG chorus since it's the sort of thing to definitely avoid for lactose intolerance. However, I once saw a free-roaming goose get fed with a tube and it looked like it liked it. It's putting them in small cages and all that which bothers me about it

>>>

Can foie gras be made humanely?

Growing concerns for animal welfare has led to an increased availability of 'humane' or 'ethical' foie gras in the market. On top of Sousa's brand La Patereria de Sousa, Spanish brand 'Labourdette' also produces 'Natural foie gras' by working with the birds' natural fat storage instinct.

Chicken and pig farming is probably the worst of the factory farming. I'd much rather see more farmers with smaller stock of pigs and chickens than the factory farms. Shoot I might even provide government incentives for smaller farms with those animals.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 22nd, 2023 at 6:13:01 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I've noticed this is used a lot to describe spiders , especially when it indeed has a big rear end. But seems to have come from the Marines

>>>

big-ass meaning?

big-ass (comparative more big-ass, superlative most big-ass) (vulgar, slang) Very large, expansive, fat, impressive, muscular, intimidating, or important.

__

big-ass meaning? first usage?

The first is from a 1944 entry in H. L. Mencken's diary: “The marines' chosen name for their female aides is bams, from big-assed marines.” An extended use of this literal meaning—applied to airplanes with big rear ends—was recorded in the military beginning in 1945

enter this into address bar to see graph: blob:null/485a6c7f-a978-46fb-976b-68f0e2eebbc6
September 23rd, 2023 at 4:52:53 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Didn't expect this to get an answer, but it did

>>>

hydrocarbon vs carbohydrate?

"Hydrocarbon" and "carbohydrate" sound similar but are two very different types of compounds. Hydrocarbons consist of purely carbon and hydrogen, while carbohydrates also contain oxygen. Living organisms metabolize carbohydrates for energy, whereas hydrocarbons are used as fuels and in industrial applications.
September 25th, 2023 at 10:47:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
are rats native to the americas?

Several species of rats are native to America, such as the cotton, the Florida and the Rocky Mountain rat, but the common black, brown and gray house rats are of Old World origin. Both the black and the brown rat are believed to be natives of China
September 25th, 2023 at 2:54:01 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: odiousgambit
are rats native to the americas?

Several species of rats are native to America, such as the cotton, the Florida and the Rocky Mountain rat, but the common black, brown and gray house rats are of Old World origin. Both the black and the brown rat are believed to be natives of China

I have a rat living in one of my palm trees. We call them Palm rats but I have no idea what they really are.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 25th, 2023 at 7:59:36 PM permalink
ChesterDog
Threads: 0
Quote: DRich
I have a rat living in one of my palm trees. We call them Palm rats but I have no idea what they really are.

Maybe, it's a black rat.

Check its tail length.

"In summary, the Black Rat's long tail length is the easiest way to identify this species, as no other rat species have their tail longer than their body length."
September 26th, 2023 at 5:21:41 AM permalink
odiousgambit
When the "Basketball Jones" song came out, I thought it was just some guy named Jones who got the nickname because he liked to play basketball. Close, but not exactly. Somebody finally told me to listen carefully to the lyrics,
"Basketball Jones
I got a Basketball Jones
I got a Basketball Jones"

>>>

what does it mean to have a 'Jones'?

slang : an avid desire or appetite for something : craving.
__

Why do Americans say Jonesing?

Jonesing

“Jonesing” sounds like it might have something to do with the common American surname “Jones.” The truth is much darker: the term was originally used to describe heroin addiction.
September 27th, 2023 at 11:04:46 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Reading "the Wager" now .. very good
https://www.amazon.com/Wager-Tale-Shipwreck-Mutiny-Murder-ebook/dp/B0B6Z4SVTH/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3DQVVM8QYFQP4&keywords=the+wager+david+grann&qid=1693916139&s=books&sprefix=thw+wager%2Cstripbooks%2C1330&sr=1-1

not exactly sure why I started looking up the Treaty of Tordesillas. As a kid, I remember being taught in a very summary fashion that the Pope divided the globe [I think that was how it was put] between Spain and Portugal after Columbus did his thing in 1492.

>>>

did the Pope divide the globe?

Pope Alexander VI published a bull, 'Inter caetera', to divide the New World between Spain and Portugal. It decreed that all lands west and south of a meridian line 100 leagues west of the Azores and Cape Verde islands rightfully belonged to Spain

>>>

I think Portugal was happy with it as it protected all their trade routes around Africa into Asia, while the New World might turn out to be not much of anything. A map of the time, which for all anyone knew, was the whole world