Stimulus

June 18th, 2020 at 9:28:01 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined
I really dont think much about the toilet.

You've been doing this for a
week, you don't think about
anything. Yet. You think all
the videos on Youtube about
hating RV life were done in
the first week? Takes time and
experience to really hate
something properly.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 18th, 2020 at 12:43:57 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Well since this is the Stimulus thread, is there anyone here, left, right, or center, who thinks it is a good idea for another stimulus check given to the bottom 90% of wage earners, and retired folks?

If so, can you explain why to me?

Same type question.... anyone think that the federal part of unemployment insurance, the PUI, should continue once August comes around? You all know my feelings... it was perhaps the stupidest piece of legislation ever passed.
June 18th, 2020 at 12:52:06 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: SOOPOO
Well since this is the Stimulus thread, is there anyone here, left, right, or center, who thinks it is a good idea for another stimulus check given to the bottom 90% of wage earners, and retired folks?

Same type question.... anyone think that the federal part of unemployment insurance, the PUI, should continue once August comes around? You all know my feelings... it was perhaps the stupidest piece of legislation ever passed.

I think a payroll tax cut would be good for the next stimulus to allow working people to keep more of their check.

I am not sure continuing increased UI is critical. But, it would be nice to see a benifit for people still working.

I think a stimulus check would be good too. But, I would argue a payroll tax would be more critical. Because people who were still working in many class people got less benefits than unemployed people.
June 18th, 2020 at 1:01:37 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: Gandler
I think a payroll tax cut would be good for the next stimulus to allow working people to keep more of their check.

I am not sure continuing increased UI is critical. But, it would be nice to see a benifit for people still working.

I think a stimulus check would be good too. But, I would argue a payroll tax would be more critical. Because people who were still working in many class people got less benefits than unemployed people.

A "payroll tax" cut..... Do you know what that is? "Payroll tax", often called FICA, is your contribution into the Social Security system. You are aware that EVEN WITHOUT a payroll tax cut the entire Social Security system is expected to go bankrupt by 2035! That date moves UP with any payroll tax cut. Just another way the politicians will set us up for failure down the road when they are out of office and retired or dead! So the system IS FAILING with the present amount of money being collected, and someone thinks it is a good idea to collect less money?

You would NEVER run your own finances this way, at least I would hope not.....
June 18th, 2020 at 1:13:25 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
A "payroll tax" cut..... Do you know what that is? "Payroll tax", often called FICA, is your contribution into the Social Security system. You are aware that EVEN WITHOUT a payroll tax cut the entire Social Security system is expected to go bankrupt by 2035! That date moves UP with any payroll tax cut. Just another way the politicians will set us up for failure down the road when they are out of office and retired or dead! So the system IS FAILING with the present amount of money being collected, and someone thinks it is a good idea to collect less money?

You would NEVER run your own finances this way, at least I would hope not.....

Well this is something that a lot of Rs are pushing for. So I am suprised that you oppose it.

It is a way to provide temporary relief to workers by allowing slightly more of your check to be take home. Of course it would not be long term.

I am not sure I buy the 2035 number... I read a more recent posting that they should be able to keep it stable until 2037 (yes only a 2 year difference).

People are living longer and less young people are paying in, so its a system that is not going to be sustainable in its current form forever. When the life expectancy becomes 150, and only a few people have traditional jobs, it won't last.
June 18th, 2020 at 1:20:16 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I have a lot co-workers that will really be hurting after Jul 31. They are in their 50s and are scared. They typically worked in business travel for decades. These are good people that want to work. They would go back in heartbeat if they could. Many will have to switch careers and that's hard at their age. Making a lot less and starting at thebottom if they get a job. Many are looking at depleting their savings and IRA so will be unable to retire. There are millions like this but of course that's meaningless to wealthy Soopoo. Have some compassion for the millions that worked in travel and have no jobs to go back to
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 18th, 2020 at 1:40:43 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23

"This is my offer: nothing."-Michael Coreleone
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 18th, 2020 at 1:47:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

Do you assume all Republicans are doing fine without it?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 18th, 2020 at 1:59:52 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: terapined
I have a lot co-workers that will really be hurting after Jul 31. They are in their 50s and are scared. They typically worked in business travel for decades. These are good people that want to work. They would go back in heartbeat if they could. Many will have to switch careers and that's hard at their age. Making a lot less and starting at thebottom if they get a job. Many are looking at depleting their savings and IRA so will be unable to retire. There are millions like this but of course that's meaningless to wealthy Soopoo. Have some compassion for the millions that worked in travel and have no jobs to go back to

The payroll tax cut does NOTHING to help someone unemployed not paying a payroll tax. I think that the states have handled unemployment benefits for the past century and should continue to do so, not the feds. With them BOTH doing halfsies, sort of, it has been a total disaster. I do feel bad for anyone deep into a career who loses a job. But feeling bad for them is different than deciding it is the GOVERNMENT's job/responsibility to take care of them. It is that entitled attitude that I hate... "I had a good job, now I don't, the government should give me money???" This is run down Buffalo. There are ads up the wazoo for jobs starting in the mid $20's per hour, driving for Amazon, working in an ice cream factory, car dealerships, etc... Not a ton of skills needed for most of them. Ed, you don't give yourself enough credit. You never made a boatload but made wise life choices, saved for this day, and are now prepared to not go back to the job you had for years. If it was ten years ago you wouldn't be whining on this board, you'd be out trying to get a job for another company in their travel department, working for AAA in their sales department, or being a middleman in a Grateful dead merchandise operation. You wouldn't be sitting home thinking that the feds need to pay you.
June 18th, 2020 at 2:05:00 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0

Explain it to you? No.

But it'd be nice if the United States didn't govern from crisis to crisis. But hey, I get it, "it's the way we've always done it so it must be the best way to do it" is the mentality of a certain, umm, older segment of the population.

It'll be nice when we finally wake up. Think we're getting closer and closer every day of the Trump presidency. What a disaster.