Stimulus

Page 1 of 861234>Last »
March 25th, 2020 at 9:25:29 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
So, the stimulus check will be based on a means test using 2019 income taxes if you already filed and 2018 if you haven't yet filed for 2019

As such, I won’t be receiving any government stimulus check even though I have no income right now

I made just over $99k in 2019 while employed at a firm from which I was fired in August

I usually file my tax returns in February to get them out of the way, which, I once again did this year (no refund)

I was an idiot for filing my taxes early this year

If they were going to use 2018 I would have qualified but now that I filed for 2019 I get nothing, even though I currently have no income
March 25th, 2020 at 9:32:44 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: aceofspades
So, the stimulus check will be based on a means test using 2019 income taxes if you already filed and 2018 if you haven't yet filed for 2019

As such, I won’t be receiving any government stimulus check even though I have no income right now

I made just over $99k in 2019 while employed at a firm from which I was fired in August

I usually file my tax returns in February to get them out of the way, which, I once again did this year (no refund)

If they were going to use 2018 I would have qualified but now that I filed for 2019 I get nothing, even though I currently have no income

I will wait to file until July 15th because I was waiting until the end of the filing period anyway...since I owe money. There will be an income increase due to a 401K that I liquidated to pay for some home improvements (and saved the resulting tax money for the coming bill). I guess it sounds like I would get less based on 2019 than I will based on 2018.

I would have thought 2018 would have been the standard because it is the last year where filing is completed. Even that could be good for some people, and bad for people in your situation.
March 25th, 2020 at 9:36:26 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: RonC
I will wait to file until July 15th because I was waiting until the end of the filing period anyway...since I owe money. There will be an income increase due to a 401K that I liquidated to pay for some home improvements (and saved the resulting tax money for the coming bill). I guess it sounds like I would get less based on 2019 than I will based on 2018.

I would have thought 2018 would have been the standard because it is the last year where filing is completed. Even that could be good for some people, and bad for people in your situation.

I thought it if the idea was to stimulate the economy, the checks should have been universal, not based on a means test, which is basically welfare
March 25th, 2020 at 12:42:08 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
3 (corrupt, dumb, possibly evil) GOP senators object to how strong the bill’s unemployment insurance provisions are and threaten to hold it up.

Bernie strikes back:

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 25th, 2020 at 1:05:51 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: aceofspades

You should be eligable for unemployment based on the new UI provisions.
March 25th, 2020 at 1:19:46 PM permalink
RonC
The objection is about people being made whole, not making more money by being on unemployment. It is wrongly referred to as an anti-worker objection. Rather, it is a technical objection to the language in the bill.

That objection makes sense to me.

Bernie is overstating the objection, but that is pretty common. I am fine with lots of "fair to us" (the people that pay taxes) strings attached to bailouts. I thought they had already put some in; we will see where that goes.
March 25th, 2020 at 1:30:20 PM permalink
RonC
I guess it was just Donny they wanted to keep from profiting from the stimulus:

The legislation ensures that these taxpayer-backed loans cannot go to firms controlled by President Trump, other White House officials or members of Congress.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/25/trump-senate-coronavirus-economic-stimulus-2-trillion/

Good! Keep all of them for profiting from their "service"...
March 25th, 2020 at 1:44:40 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: RonC
I guess it was just Donny they wanted to keep from profiting from the stimulus:

The legislation ensures that these taxpayer-backed loans cannot go to firms controlled by President Trump, other White House officials or members of Congress.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/25/trump-senate-coronavirus-economic-stimulus-2-trillion/

Good! Keep all of them for profiting from their "service"...

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll find ways to make up for it at other times.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 25th, 2020 at 2:18:47 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
Don't worry, I'm sure they'll find ways to make up for it at other times.
Like collect his salary?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 25th, 2020 at 2:25:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph
Like collect his salary?

Lobbyists/kickbacks.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 1 of 861234>Last »