Stimulus

June 17th, 2020 at 12:52:15 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
It's June, people! Who the heck sleeps under a comforter in June? I sleep naked under just a sheet with the window cracked open half the year. In the Winter time I add a light blanket. If I I had a comforter, I'd be a sweaty mess every morning. nasty.
June 17th, 2020 at 12:55:43 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: zippyboy
It's June, people! Who the heck sleeps under a comforter in June? I sleep naked under just a sheet with the window cracked open half the year. In the Winter time I add a light blanket. If I I had a comforter, I'd be a sweaty mess every morning. nasty.

I keep the room pretty cold, also, I wash my comforter weekly. I’d sleep fully clothed, except my fiancé doesn’t like it and makes me take off my jeans.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 17th, 2020 at 1:03:14 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC
Perhaps we should have this conversation broken off and make it "A Deadhead Permanently On The Road" or something like that...

I am interested, but it is not a stimulus conversation

This isn't the Laundry thread?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 17th, 2020 at 1:07:31 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
This isn't the Laundry thread?

It is a many splendored things thread...but your should keep going' the laundry talk causes me yawning spells...
June 17th, 2020 at 1:10:32 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Ok. getting back to stimulus. Spoke with my lawn guy yesterday. It's obviously already mid -June. He hasn't done my mulch/flowers yet. If you know Buffalo weather we have another week or two of summer.... He told me that part of the delay is that they were limited in what they could do because of COVID-19 restrictions, and two of his laid off workers are refusing to come back until after July 31 when the pandemic bonus $600 a week ends. He has told them their jobs are available, but they prefer to lie and check a box saying it isn't. Same for wife's daughter's boyfriend. Was laid off from a Panera, and has since moved, and has ZERO interest in returning to that store as he now lives 15 miles away. There are many similar jobs available where he lives now but somehow he hasn't made it in for any interviews but will.... around July 31. You can guess what box he checks.....

In the history of stupid, rushed to pass bills, the $600 pandemic unemployment bonus ranks high up there.......
June 17th, 2020 at 1:16:19 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: SOOPOO
In the history of stupid, rushed to pass bills, the $600 pandemic unemployment bonus ranks high up there.......

This. You can't pay people more to work than to not work.

Employers have some say in UI but I am not sure if they can report employees who are offered a job but do not want to come back to work. Also, there may be "friendly" agreements that ignore any actions they can take.

Call it what it is...Fraud. Of course, there is a lot of that!
June 17th, 2020 at 1:19:08 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: SOOPOO
...In the history of stupid, rushed to pass bills, the $600 pandemic unemployment bonus ranks high up there.......
I'm beginning to believe, it is part of the long con.

I think we deserve an explanation. It is no secret about how destructive the exorbitant UI is. It's like someone is financing riots?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 17th, 2020 at 2:09:04 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: petroglyph
I'm beginning to believe, it is part of the long con.

I think we deserve an explanation. It is no secret about how destructive the exorbitant UI is. It's like someone is financing riots?

Imagine how much damage the CERB in Canada is doing to the incentive to work. It is $2000 per month and they just extended it for another 2 months. So a total of $10,000 over the 5 months it is approved for now. It is a total honor system. Make a phone call, answer yes to 4 questions and you have it in days. The street druggies have got it figured out now and BC had the highest number of OD deaths in months. The street workers say they have never seen so much money on the street. The druggies don't want to share so they take their 2 grand load up on drugs rent a motel room and don't come out until they are out of drugs or have OD'd. Lots of people refusing to go back to work even though the law says they must or give up the CERB. Not enough people to check and enforce the rules.

But somehow people think a universal income wouldn't make any difference to peoples motivation to go to work. A little more money and the average street person would clean-up and get off the street. We now have definitive proof of what would happen in real life not in the imaginary world that most libbies live in.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 17th, 2020 at 2:59:21 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: RonC
This. You can't pay people more to work than to not work.

Employers have some say in UI but I am not sure if they can report employees who are offered a job but do not want to come back to work. Also, there may be "friendly" agreements that ignore any actions they can take.

Call it what it is...Fraud. Of course, there is a lot of that!

Look, hell with that, I don't blame them! If they're going to literally make MORE money by doing nothing, what do you expect them to do? That's what the Republicans tried to warn the Democrats about...and it's not like you can throw them all in jail, or that costs even more money!

For me, personally, I'd have went back to work. The main reason why is you have to wonder if your job (or any job) will still be there for you when UI runs out.

Yes, you could theoretically call up UI and tell them you offered the employee the job back and they refused, at least in Ohio. I've had a few different letters hit my desk that were some kind of lie to unemployment or another. For my part, I just always told the truth---basically. I don't think I would mess with someone's UI if I offered them the job back and they said no, (not that it ever happened, because I don't think it did) but I certainly called UI if the initial app was bullcrap.

But, with all of the employers who try to shortchange or cut corners on what monetary protections there are, is it any surprise that when the workers are actually given the chance to do the screwing they take it?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 17th, 2020 at 3:36:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
We now have definitive proof of what would happen in real life not in the imaginary world that most libbies live in.

You might have to take care of your own lawn.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?