Stimulus

May 9th, 2020 at 11:04:20 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
*SIGH*

Yet again, if you need a "study" do find out free money means less stress about money you are STUPID! Just STUPID. Like doing a study to see if water is wet.

The point is IT WILL NEVER WORK BECAUSE IT CANNOT BE PAID FOR! To give everyone $600 you have to tax (steal from) them $650. You have to tax more than $600 for administrative costs and such.

UBI simply cannot work.

And it will make people lazier. That is human nature. No advanced degree needed to understand that. But an advanced degree may erode one's common sense to the point that they believe it won't.

It can be paid for a number of ways including VAT tax and leasing Federal Lands, and many other models, but it doesn't matter. Even if it could be paid for without a single tax increase or any borrowing (such as the leasing model) you would be against it....

The point of the study was to show the effects on employment....
Studies show it does not have a negative effect on employment because people are more willing to work lower wage jobs that they enjoy.... The mental health benefits are just an added plus....

I may as well ignore the personal insults about being stupid for looking at government studies since you appear to be in the armored class here.... (also a total mispresentation of the point of the study to select one aspect to focus fire on....)
May 9th, 2020 at 11:15:32 AM permalink
Gandler
It appears that the next Stimulus that will be most likley will be a payroll tax cut (since Trump and the GOP heavily are for it).

This is probably more likley than more direct payments (though there is some growing movements for that as well)...

A payroll tax cut would be great for people still working as it would allow you to keep a larger part of your salary...
May 9th, 2020 at 11:26:48 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
It can be paid for a number of ways including VAT tax and leasing Federal Lands, and many other models, but it doesn't matter. Even if it could be paid for without a single tax increase or any borrowing (such as the leasing model) you would be against it....

And how does the VAT get paid? See, you "give" $600 but then must collect $600 in VAT. A bit like saying I will give you a free weekend at Flamingo but then you must pay a $150 per night resort fee. Making sense yet?

Quote:
I may as well ignore the personal insults about being stupid for looking at government studies since you appear to be in the armored class here.... (also a total mispresentation of the point of the study to select one aspect to focus fire on....)

No, ignore them because they were not a personal insult. I said ANYONE who needs a "study" to show free money reduces stress is STUPID. I am directing it a the people, usually with advanced degrees, who believe a study over common sense.
The President is a fink.
May 9th, 2020 at 11:40:28 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: SOOPOO
Read the news! Those on the left believe that the big bad rich white people are going to call back to work the lowly black and brown people so they (BBRWP) can get richer. And of course the BBRWP do not care about the black and brown people, and are willing to let them die as long as the bottom line of their big bad corporations is intact.

The left ABSOLUTELY does not trust "the government" (if the Governor is a Republican) from deciding when it is safe for the black and brown folk to return to work.

Haha, and SOOPOO does this to another libbie 🤣🤣🤣

May 9th, 2020 at 12:57:04 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
*SIGH*

Yet again, if you need a "study" do find out free money means less stress about money you are STUPID! Just STUPID. Like doing a study to see if water is wet.

The point is IT WILL NEVER WORK BECAUSE IT CANNOT BE PAID FOR! To give everyone $600 you have to tax (steal from) them $650. You have to tax more than $600 for administrative costs and such.

UBI simply cannot work.

Post of the year. Hands down.
May 9th, 2020 at 1:06:11 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: SOOPOO
Post of the year. Hands down.

Post of the year for intentionally misconstruing a post (focusing on a minor point of a study) and being intentionally insulting?

Seems academically honest of you....
May 9th, 2020 at 1:09:13 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

The point of the study was to show the effects on employment....
Studies show it does not have a negative effect on employment because people are more willing to work lower wage jobs that they enjoy.... The mental health benefits are just an added plus....

I may as well ignore the personal insults about being stupid for looking at government studies since you appear to be in the armored class here.... (also a total mispresentation of the point of the study to select one aspect to focus fire on....)[/q

I am too lazy to go find my old post where I did the math but it would take something like an 18% VAT to cover a $1000 UBI. If you are fine with paying 18% more for everything then I guess you can be a supporter of UBI. If you think raising the money to pay for it is not inconsequential to the economy or to you personally you haven't really looked at the math. I am sure you must also realize that a VAT is 100% paid for by the consumer.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 9th, 2020 at 2:55:54 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Post of the year for intentionally misconstruing a post (focusing on a minor point of a study) and being intentionally insulting?

Seems academically honest of you....

Quite the opposite. I deplore bad research, or research that tells me something that a 5 year old could figure out without 'research'. I think AZ's points are all fair in that post.

If I need to hear one more time that 'research has shown that people with pre-existing medical conditions fare worse when infected by coronavirus that those without prior medical conditions.....' , well, I just want to know who paid for that pearl to be unearthed.
May 11th, 2020 at 2:23:13 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 11th, 2020 at 4:42:31 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8

Why do so many want to feel insulted here?

Attacking a country or organization for conducting a silly study is not the same as attacking someone who quotes that study.