Stimulus

May 8th, 2020 at 6:54:55 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/businesses-discover-employees-would-rather-stay-home-and-collect-unemployment-during

Who would have thought?

Easy fix.
You don't go back, you lose your benefits.
Come on Trump and Republicans, you guys hold the power. Get it fixed.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 8th, 2020 at 7:20:46 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
Easy fix.

I am home everyday not working and still waiting on my Stimulus check and unemployment. I figure they should be here soon.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 8th, 2020 at 8:21:04 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Easy fix.
I thought you would enjoy it.

Gives you an opportunity to become a roady for the GD. Silver lining and all that.

Until Reagan put me out of business, I would drive a thousand miles and refuse to be out of work. I owe him a bit of thanks I guess, I learned how to live on UI and fish for steelhead.

Thanks Ron, fu Nancy. Although, I almost made money from her Just say no bs.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 9th, 2020 at 3:56:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/businesses-discover-employees-would-rather-stay-home-and-collect-unemployment-during

Who would have thought?

Yeah, but they will remain motivated to work if we just had UBI....................
The President is a fink.
May 9th, 2020 at 5:30:17 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Easy fix.

Some Republicans complained about this while the bill was being passed.

The Democrats run the House. They could also do something about it--pass a bill changing the original one to make sure no one gets more in unemployment than they did at work...or maybe even more than 75% of what they did at work--and send it to the Senate while loudly letting everyone know they were doing that.

Nope...they aren't doing anything either and they have a good bit of power.

...but Trump....
May 9th, 2020 at 7:03:14 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: RonC

The Democrats run the House. They could also do something about it--pass a bill changing the original one to make sure no one gets more in unemployment than they did at work...or maybe even more than 75% of what they did at work--and send it to the Senate while loudly letting everyone know they were doing that.

...but Trump....

Sadly, the Republicans had to cave in to the Democrats on this one. House members, when seeking re-election, will be able to point that "you" got way more than you did when working, but the "rich" got less.

I like your 75% number, and I have used it a lot in conversations with friends. There will be some that will go back to work as soon as possible (father-in-law) while others will milk the system. You need an incentive for people to go back to work, not a disincentive.

I'm not sure, but I think the standard for not returning to work and continuing to collect benefits greater than what you make while working are easy..... "I do not think it would be safe for me to return to work yet."
May 9th, 2020 at 8:25:24 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC

...but Trump....

If people get called back to work, the unemployment benefits should stop. Its common sense. I think everybody on the left and right can agree on this.
Therefore
Since Trump is the President.
He should get off his butt and get this fixed.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 9th, 2020 at 9:38:46 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
If people get called back to work, the unemployment benefits should stop. Its common sense. I think everybody on the left and right can agree on this.

Read the news! Those on the left believe that the big bad rich white people are going to call back to work the lowly black and brown people so they (BBRWP) can get richer. And of course the BBRWP do not care about the black and brown people, and are willing to let them die as long as the bottom line of their big bad corporations is intact.

The left ABSOLUTELY does not trust "the government" (if the Governor is a Republican) from deciding when it is safe for the black and brown folk to return to work.
May 9th, 2020 at 9:55:17 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Yeah, but they will remain motivated to work if we just had UBI....................

Strange you should mention that, Finland is starting to release their UBI test study results.

The Finnish government did a two year study where (approx. 600USD a month converted from Euros) was given to study participants.

Participants experienced improved mental health, less stress about money, more willingness to take lower wage jobs that they enjoy, It raised trust in government and government institutions, and had a minimal effect on employment (minimal positive effect, there was no negative effect), people worked roughly as much as before, though slightly more (thought to be due to the ability to take lower wage jobs).

Now you will probably quote sites and some Finnish government officials that say the study was a failure, however, this is because they were hoping for a larger increase in employment (more than it already was) and the numbers were not what they were hoping. Employment is not the only metrics that should be used to measure UBI's effectiveness.

But UBI and UI are very different. UI incentives you to not work. UBI incentivizes you to work. UI you lose accepting a full time job (even making less). UBI you keep regardless of how many jobs and hours you work.... So it is not even slightly fair to equate UBI and UI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBQW1zi1xIM
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/07/finnish-basic-income-pilot-improved-wellbeing-study-finds-coronavirus

Preliminary Study:
http://julkaisut.valtioneuvosto.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/161361/Report_The%20Basic%20Income%20Experiment%2020172018%20in%20Finland.pdf
May 9th, 2020 at 10:42:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
Strange you should mention that, Finland is starting to release their UBI test study results.

The Finnish government did a two year study where (approx. 600USD a month converted from Euros) was given to study participants.

Participants experienced improved mental health, less stress about money, more willingness to take lower wage jobs that they enjoy, It raised trust in government and government institutions, and had a minimal effect on employment (minimal positive effect, there was no negative effect), people worked roughly as much as before, though slightly more (thought to be due to the ability to take lower wage jobs).

*SIGH*

Yet again, if you need a "study" to find out free money means less stress about money you are STUPID! Just STUPID. Like doing a study to see if water is wet.

The point is IT WILL NEVER WORK BECAUSE IT CANNOT BE PAID FOR! To give everyone $600 you have to tax (steal from) them $650. You have to tax more than $600 for administrative costs and such.

UBI simply cannot work.

And it will make people lazier. That is human nature. No advanced degree needed to understand that. But an advanced degree may erode one's common sense to the point that they believe it won't.
The President is a fink.