No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

April 1st, 2020 at 12:01:13 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: SOOPOO
Does anyone know if the Indian Reservations are legally (not morally, practically, or ethically) required to follow our Governor's executive orders?

I don't think so, I think they fall completely under federal jurisdiction.

This Michigan page seems to indicate that as well
https://www.michigan.gov/som/0,4669,7-192-29701_41909---,00.html

Quote:
The state generally does not have legal authority over tribal governments and tribal members when they are inside the tribe's territory - those lands designated as the tribe's reservation or trust lands. Instead, the state interacts with tribes on a government-to-government basis.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 1st, 2020 at 1:03:09 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Cuomo is closing down NYC playgrounds.
April 1st, 2020 at 1:18:17 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: RonC
Cuomo is closing down NYC playgrounds.

Should be statewide.

But what kind of parent would take their kid to a public playground right now is the scarier question?
April 1st, 2020 at 1:25:15 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Gandler
Should be statewide.

But what kind of parent would take their kid to a public playground right now is the scarier question?

It may well be statewide; NYC was mentioned as an issue because basketball games continued.

Some parents don't have good control of their offspring, plus a lot of adults play basketball on those playgrounds.

Heard this from Houston's mayor to the local criminals:

“Until the coronavirus is resolved, criminals take a break. Okay. Stay home. Stay home and don’t commit any crimes,” said the mayor.

“That way they stay safe and out of jail, and police officers will stay safe and go home to their families. Okay, everybody chill. Crooks, criminals, you chill.”

Mr Turner added: “Wait ‘til the coronavirus is over and then we’ll all be okay.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-houston-mayor-sylvester-turner-criminals-a9439221.html
April 1st, 2020 at 1:55:07 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
The epidemiologists at the University of Washington have made these estimates for the total death toll by August 4, 2020:

USA: 93,765 deaths

New York: 16,090
Alabama: 7,334
Florida: 6,937
Texas: 6,128
California:5,161
Michigan: 3,235
Tennessee: 3,259
Virginia: 3,073
Georgia:2,916
Illinois: 2,789

Those are the top 10 states with the highest casualties. The researchers are tweaking these numbers every day, so it will change over the next 2 months. It will be interesting to see how these numbers hold up.

One piece of good news: the numbers plateau after about June 1. Theoretically, there's no need to continue social distancing beyond June 1.
April 1st, 2020 at 1:59:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Seems like Hawaii should be able to maintain almost perfect control, or perhaps even eliminate it before most places.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 1st, 2020 at 3:15:33 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Russian planeloads of Corona medical supplies land in New York.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11307648/russian-military-plane-coronavirus-masks-new-york-help-fight-pandemic/
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 1st, 2020 at 3:28:51 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: SOOPOO
Does anyone know if the Indian Reservations are legally (not morally, practically, or ethically) required to follow our Governor's executive orders?
Probably not. Indian reservations are FEDERAL and the FBI is stretched too thin to enforce anything, but tribes are unlikely to press the issue beyond some PR blustering anyway. Most reservations already have social distancing well beyond what various Governors are demanding. Tribal businesses are businesses and unlikely to incur sustained wrath of the public.
April 1st, 2020 at 4:41:57 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Tripdufan
It's not even close to comparable. It's a stark contrast...

Between a politician selling and inspiring hope into a plan while failing to meet ALL of the promises in a plan, but still managing to do a pretty damn good job, evidenced by the fact that a Republican controlled Congress and WH could not repeal it. Most people did keep their plans and did keep their doctors. There will be winners and losers with EVERY piece of legislation that is passed. The score of that legislation is whther or not it was a NET GAIN for the country and society as a whole. And if Obamacare was a net loser, it would be gone. But it turns out people like protection for pre-existing conditions (as Trump is fighting in courts today to weaken them). People like being able to keep their kids on their plans until 26. People like the basic things that MUST be covered under every insurance plan in America.

vs

Somebody who looks you into the camera and lies to you about things he...doesn't...have...to...lie....to...you...about.

The fact that this is just accepted by millions of people is baffling and frustrating to me.

If you want to compare "lies" from Trump and Obama, it's more comparable to compare Trump's "Mexico is gonna pay for the wall" promise to Obama's "you can keep your plan" promise.

But Obama didn't get on TV, on stage, or in front of a podium and lie to our faces on a secondly basis.

I think that when Trump said "Mexico will pay for the wall", I never for one second believed him. Some of his claims are so outlandish that I don't even bother paying much attention. When he said we will hopefully be open by Easter, there was not one iota of a chance that would come to be.

I consider Obama's lie way more cunning, because I did believe him. He KNEW if he was honest it would not have been passed.
I ask you, which type of liar is more dangerous?

And your point about it not being repealed by a Republican controlled Congress was EASILY predicted by ANYONE (me included!) who knows ANYTHING about politics. Once the Democrats give you something for free, it is difficult to be the mean Republican to take it away!

About it being a net gain...... I think the 600 billion spent on it per year could have been better spent...... or wait.... possibly..... perhaps..... NOT NEED TO BORROW ALL THAT MONEY! NEVER was a concern for Obama or the Democrats. NEVER cared that there was no way to pay for it. The Democrat way....
April 1st, 2020 at 5:07:36 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Leadbelly may just have been right: Goodnight Irene's Sweet Corney, the tonic of the poor Black swamp-dwelling outcasts kept a host of pathogens at bay.