The Coronavirus thread

Poll
2 votes (14.28%)
2 votes (14.28%)
2 votes (14.28%)
1 vote (7.14%)
2 votes (14.28%)
3 votes (21.42%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (7.14%)
1 vote (7.14%)

14 members have voted

April 1st, 2020 at 2:55:27 AM permalink
terapined
Member since: Aug 6, 2014
Threads: 49
Posts: 5977
Quote: petroglyph
https://thesaker.is/interview-with-professor-didier-raoult-in-the-parisien-newspaper-22-march-2020/

The same generalization I read in other places. No real hard details. Looking for something worthy of being in the new England journal of medicine. Not looking for a newspaper interview which is what you posted
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 1st, 2020 at 4:43:02 AM permalink
RonC
Member since: Nov 7, 2012
Threads: 6
Posts: 1195
Quote: terapined
The same generalization I read in other places. No real hard details. Looking for something worthy of being in the new England journal of medicine. Not looking for a newspaper interview which is what you posted


They are doing the studies on different drugs, per Dr. Fauci.

Dr Fauci said that he would try at least one the treatments on his patients if he was just a doctor...but he isn't in a position to "endorse" it.

Hope. Hope is a good. When you give up hope in things helping us turn the corner--social distancing, shut downs, drug treatments, an eventual vaccine, etc.--you might as well crawl in the ground and die because you aren't living, you are dying. Can hope be over hyped? Sure. All in all, we have is realism mixed with hope (or despair, your choice); I'd also rather have hope and a path forward (not a perfect one) than not have it.

I'm not excusing the mistakes in handling this thing; their have been some. Even Dr. Fauci has shown that he feels differently about things now than he did earlier. So obviously do the President and ALL of the people who encouraged people to go out and eat. etc. as late as early last month.

VERY FEW PEOPLE WERE "RIGHT" ABOUT THE VIRUS.

I am also waiting on the studies; I am hopeful they find some combos that work.
China Lied...How Many There Really Died?
April 1st, 2020 at 4:45:14 AM permalink
RonC
Member since: Nov 7, 2012
Threads: 6
Posts: 1195
Quote: ams288
Oh, let them have that one. The righties have literally been bitching about it for 12 years now.

That’s the ONLY thing the “both siders” know to rebut any of Donny’s daily idiotic statements with...


As usual, you are wrong. There is a difference between a mistake--Obama's and Trump's--and a lie. These two items were mistakes.

I have already said that I don't like the lies. I also don't a lot of the Twitter posts.
China Lied...How Many There Really Died?
April 1st, 2020 at 4:50:51 AM permalink
ams288
Member since: Apr 21, 2016
Threads: 17
Posts: 5539
Quote: RonC
As usual, you are wrong. There is a difference between a mistake--Obama's and Trump's--and a lie. These two items were mistakes.


And when we point out one of Donny’s thousands of lies, you righties reflexively respond with “what about Obama saying ‘if you like your plan you can keep it?!’”

Every. Single. Time.
Righties in 2020: “It’s okay if grandma dies, but NOT the buildings she shops in!!!”
April 1st, 2020 at 5:11:04 AM permalink
RonC
Member since: Nov 7, 2012
Threads: 6
Posts: 1195
Quote: ams288
And when we point out one of Donny’s thousands of lies, you righties reflexively respond with “what about Obama saying ‘if you like your plan you can keep it?!’”

Every. Single. Time.


I don't. You don't have the ability to do anything but lump everyone who doesn't believe the exact same way you do in one group. That is why there is no conversation with the likes of you; you don't show the ability here to actually have a conversation.

You are disturbingly triggered!
China Lied...How Many There Really Died?
April 1st, 2020 at 5:15:15 AM permalink
ams288
Member since: Apr 21, 2016
Threads: 17
Posts: 5539
Quote: RonC
I don't. You don't have the ability to do anything but lump everyone who doesn't believe the exact same way you do in one group. That is why there is no conversation with the likes of you; you don't show the ability here to actually have a conversation.

You are disturbingly triggered!


I’m starting to come to the conclusion that you don’t actually know what “triggered” means...
Righties in 2020: “It’s okay if grandma dies, but NOT the buildings she shops in!!!”
April 1st, 2020 at 5:22:18 AM permalink
RonC
Member since: Nov 7, 2012
Threads: 6
Posts: 1195
Quote: ams288
I’m starting to come to the conclusion that you don’t actually know what “triggered” means...


Your shtick is boring...
China Lied...How Many There Really Died?
April 1st, 2020 at 5:43:07 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Member since: Feb 19, 2014
Threads: 12
Posts: 1900
Quote: ams288
And when we point out one of Donny’s thousands of lies, you righties reflexively respond with “what about Obama saying ‘if you like your plan you can keep it?!’”

Every. Single. Time.


It. Was. In. Response. To. A. Post. Saying. Obama. Was. A. Great. President. Should I discuss Trump in response to that post? And it will be with him forever. It was such a whopper of a lie to get his agenda rammed through NO ONE WILL EVER FORGET IT!
April 1st, 2020 at 5:54:03 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Member since: Feb 19, 2014
Threads: 12
Posts: 1900
Quote: terapined
The same generalization I read in other places. No real hard details. Looking for something worthy of being in the new England journal of medicine. Not looking for a newspaper interview which is what you posted


I'm sure you have heard the phrase "double blind study"? It's where neither the patient NOR the investigator knows who is getting the real drug and who is getting the placebo. If a drug will help 10% of the people, and the placebo obviously 0%, you need a bunch of patients to see if this is statistically significant.

Example. In the US the death rate will likely end up between 1 and 2 %. For easy math let's say 1%.

So you take 2000 patients and give 1000 drug A and 1000 placebo. If drug A increases survival 10%, group 1 would have 9 deaths and the placebo group would have 10 deaths. You all know variance might have group A, 5-14 deaths, and placebo group, 6-15 deaths. So you might need 100,000 in each group before you can actually prove something. It would not be surprising AT ALL for more to die in the drug group.
If the drug cuts death rate by 50%, it will take far fewer to prove it's efficacy.

It does not seem like this drug combination (Zpac/chloroquin) will be super effective, but it certainly is possible it will be helpful. My ID friend thinks the Gilead Science drug will end up being a little more helpful.
April 1st, 2020 at 6:27:21 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Member since: Oct 27, 2012
Threads: 60
Posts: 7644
CHEAP, SIMPLE EMERGENCY VENTILATOR FOR FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS.

You have all heard the "Bag Him" command on TV medical shows.

It means grab one of the readily available rubbery bags that abound in ambulances and hospitals and stand there sqeezing it intermittently so as to be blowing a breath of air into him until such time as a much more sophisticated electronic device can be attached to him which will take over his respiratory functions as well as providing battery back-up capabilities.

The obvious drawback is that ties up an individual and it tires his arm.

MIT came up with a device that mechanically sqeezes that bag for over two weeks.