No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

March 30th, 2020 at 11:49:31 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Looks like my local store has most items. Still limiting some items to one per customer. Have to double check, but I think they moved over the counter pain killers to a lockup section. Possibly due to theft I imagine. Small packages. Hiding giant rolls of TP not as easy.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 30th, 2020 at 11:53:01 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC

Hopefully, folks will stay committed to social distancing....
Not happening in Tampa. The local right wing religious mega church still holding services for huge crowds yesterday
. They all watched Fox last month and still believe that this virus is an anti Trump hoax
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 30th, 2020 at 12:28:38 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: SOOPOO
Let me explain 'ventilator patients' first. If someone comes in to the hospital with respiratory distress, doctors have a bunch of things to evaluate before deciding to intubate a patient, and thus put them on a mechanical ventilator.
1. How does the patient look? Is the patient complaining of difficulty breathing? Importantly, how much WORK is the patient putting in to breathing? I've many times in my career been called to evaluate a patient, working very hard to breathe, whose oxygen level is ok, whose CO2 level is ok, but I could tell that the patient would not be able to sustain the effort to keep breathing that hard. I'd say to the consulting doctor that if we don't intubate now we will in an hour or two.
2. Oxygen level---- if the lungs are not able to absorb oxygen at a sufficient amount, the ventilator can apply 'positive pressure' to 'squeeze more oxygen into the blood. If really bad, the ventilator can also apply positive pressure continuously not just with every actual breath it delivers. (Google PEEP)
3. CO2 level, and thus pH (acidity) are important factors. If you are not ventilating enough, the lungs don't get rid of the CO2 your body produces, and your blood becomes acidotic. Acidosis affects all your organs negatively. If you combine low O2, and high CO2, its a bad scene.

I'd say the "appear to be stable and then rather suddenly desaturate and die" would be an extremely rare situation. If someone is not dead already, meaning they were struggling to breathe when I was called, after intubation there would always be an improvement, at least temporarily. If the disease continues to accelerate the inability of the lungs to oxygenate and ventilate.... which is what causes most of the deaths..... But I'd be surprised if "suddenly" means minutes, not hours.

I have NO knowledge of specific deaths, but if there is some difficulty and/or delay in getting the breathing tube in, that could make the death more 'sudden'.

Remember, also, that there will be patients on the brink of getting a heart attack that now get COVID. Just a small decrease in oxygen level could cause the heart attack. To answer RonC, yes, that will be listed as a COVID death. Someone on home oxygen before this pandemic gets COVID and dies pretty quickly, will be a COVID death. The person probably was DNR and any minor lung issue would be enough to end his life.

I forgot to mention this, but some patients not doing well, but not bad enough to need to be intubated, basically can be helped by the equivalent of a CPAP machine that helps sleep apnea patients. The technique will likely save thousands of people from needing to be intubated.
Sorry about that
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 30th, 2020 at 12:28:53 PM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Quote: terapined
Not happening in Tampa. The local right wing religious mega church still holding services for huge crowds yesterday
. They all watched Fox last month and still believe that this virus is an anti Trump hoax

Wow, the only church still holding services is one attended by right wing Fox news watchers.

Hmmmmm

De Blasio threatens to permanently close places of worship that resist shutdown order
Quote:
...number of religious communities, specific churches and specific synagogues, are unfortunately not paying attention to this guidance even though it’s so widespread," the New York Democrat said...

I didn't realize that that there were so many right wing Fox news watchers in New York City.
Let's go Brandon
March 30th, 2020 at 12:31:32 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined

Anti-Trump? If anything it is pro-Trump. All his ratings up since the crisis started, despite the availability of a small book of incorrect statements he has made.

A far as the church..... since we allow such things (churches, religion), if you believe in God and an afterlife, it is LOGICAL to keep going to church. If you get the disease and die, it must have been God's will, anyway. They always say 'he is going now to a better place...'
March 30th, 2020 at 1:01:58 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Well, I looked at my 401k today for the first time since the market tanked.

It was bad, but it wasn’t *as bad* as I expected it to be...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 30th, 2020 at 1:05:13 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Anti-Trump? If anything it is pro-Trump. All his ratings up since the crisis started, despite the availability of a small book of incorrect statements he has made.

A far as the church..... since we allow such things (churches, religion), if you believe in God and an afterlife, it is LOGICAL to keep going to church. If you get the disease and die, it must have been God's will, anyway. They always say 'he is going now to a better place...'

By that logic there is no point in running from a church if some terror group is shooting it up.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 30th, 2020 at 1:26:44 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: kenarman
By that logic there is no point in running from a church if some terror group is shooting it up.

Correct.

It never made sense to me all the sorrow at a funeral where the priests, family members, friends are all saying the deceased is now in a better place. If that were true, there shouldn't be sorrow.
March 30th, 2020 at 3:50:22 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Correct.

It never made sense to me all the sorrow at a funeral where the priests, family members, friends are all saying the deceased is now in a better place. If that were true, there shouldn't be sorrow.

It is like someone getting a promotion from running the Cheektavegas branch to take over one of the largest locations in Manhattan. They might miss lunch at Anderson's, you will miss them, but their career has taken a major step. So you have sorrow while you will be glad for them.
The President is a fink.
March 30th, 2020 at 3:55:24 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: fleaswatter
Well, well, well, looks like President Trump was right again!!!!!

During today’s press conference, Donny lectured a reporter about the population of Seoul, South Korea, saying “I know South Korea better than anybody.”

Hey fleaswatter, was Donny “right again!!!!!” when he claimed Seoul has a population of 38 million??
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman