Quote: Evenbob
He's probably right. Lincoln was hated
in the press for the war. But the press
was very limited in those days. Trump
has to put up with a negative press
1000 times bigger than Lincoln could
even have imagined. And he still does
great in spite of it.

And Trump has a broadcasting megaphone a 1000 times what Lincoln had.

And he still does badly in spite of it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 3rd, 2020 at 9:41:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
15 Miles of Additional Border Wall Completed in California

In a tweet on Friday, U.S. Border Patrol Chief Rodney Scott said, “Today, we completed a 15-mile section of border wall system in El Centro Sector that will provide much-needed infrastructure to help USBP agents secure the border.”

175 miles of new wall have been
completed so far. Some of it is
where old ineffective walls were
in place. One agent said this
is counted as new wall because
easily scaled 10' walls are being
replaced by hard to scale 30' walls.
Crime is down in some areas by
80% as a result. MAGA!!

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/along-us-borders/border-wall-system
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 3rd, 2020 at 10:13:53 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: Evenbob
Quote: ams288
"They always say no one was treated worse than Lincoln.
He's probably right.

Oh yes, he's most definitely right. There was no radio, TV, or internet when Lincoln was president. Only newspapers.
Add to all that, the fact that there are umpteen channels of fake news and umpteen websites (Google, Facebook, etc) that are anti-Trump.

I thought Reagan had it bad in the 80's, but Trump is dealing with far, far worse.
May 4th, 2020 at 3:19:04 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
And Trump has a broadcasting megaphone a 1000 times what Lincoln had.

And he still does badly in spite of it.

Yeah, so bad they had to invent a china virus scare to try to take him down because impaeching him for a phone call and inventing a Russia conspiracy did not work.
The President is a fink.
May 4th, 2020 at 3:51:28 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
Yeah, so bad they had to invent a china virus scare to try to take him down because impaeching him for a phone call and inventing a Russia conspiracy did not work.

Is Duffman saying the media invented the coronavirus??
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 4th, 2020 at 5:09:37 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Is Duffman saying the media invented the coronavirus??

Nah, he is saying the media invented the 'scare' part. Some believe that the media is exaggerating the results of the coronavirus. Tell that to the SEVENTY Veterans that died in that ONE nursing home in Massachusetts. Or the 100,000 other Americans that will have died when this 'scare' is over. And that number is only that low because of the steps your President, DJT, has taken to keep it that low. Or do you think Trump is lying? (Directed at AZ) Trump has said without his action that millions would have died. Does "millions" make it not a media invented 'scare'?
May 4th, 2020 at 11:14:05 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: SOOPOO
Nah, he is saying the media invented the 'scare' part. Some believe that the media is exaggerating the results of the coronavirus. Tell that to the SEVENTY Veterans that died in that ONE nursing home in Massachusetts. Or the 100,000 other Americans that will have died when this 'scare' is over. And that number is only that low because of the steps your President, DJT, has taken to keep it that low. Or do you think Trump is lying? (Directed at AZ) Trump has said without his action that millions would have died. Does "millions" make it not a media invented 'scare'?

100,000? And how many had the cause of death credited to the china virus for the juicy payments they get? How many were already in a weakened state and probably would have died in less than a year of other conditions?

I think we would have been better off to not have had a total shutdown. How many times were we told it was to "flatten the curve" meaning the same number of people would die but over a longer period. That is what they said.

We have a government starting "snitch lines" for people to call. Same kind of people who complain to the HOA because grass is 1/4" too tall on a neighbor's place. Same kind of lines we hear not so nice countries have encourages in the past. We have cops arresting and harassing people who are bothering nobody, just because they are not home in their house. This should scare the life out of any rational person. We have people who think "the economy" is "greed" and cannot open it if it will "cost lives."

So much of this is because people lapping up hours of media scare while stuck home.

The scare is the second biggest hoax of the century, and it is rapidly closing in on global warming to take 1st place.
The President is a fink.
May 4th, 2020 at 11:40:52 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
100,000? And how many had the cause of death credited to the china virus for the juicy payments they get? How many were already in a weakened state and probably would have died in less than a year of other conditions?

I think we would have been better off to not have had a total shutdown. How many times were we told it was to "flatten the curve" meaning the same number of people would die but over a longer period. That is what they said.

Probably some were called COVID deaths when they weren't. But not enough to change the concept that this virus was a killer, both stealthy and potent.
Weakened state? i asked that question (maybe on WoV?) and someone posted an 'average years of life lost" and it was over 10, so yeah there were some 93 year olds that a cold could have killed, but enough 50 year olds that had 20+ years left.

You are correct in your 'flatten the curve point". But, we were just not willing to NOT flatten it and let people die in NYC because we didn't have enough, hospital beds, equipment, ventilators, etc. if we did not flatten the curve.

As for whether we would have been better off without a total shutdown, well, yes, if you were one of the survivors you would have been better off without the shutdown. (If you also did not have someone important to you die from it as well) If you live to 90 you were better off by not buying life insurance. If you never have gotten into a car accident you would have been better off not buying collision insurance.

I'm ready for the 'open up'. I'll accept the added death and misery. Let's get back to living.
May 4th, 2020 at 1:05:14 PM permalink
AZDuffman

Weakened state? i asked that question (maybe on WoV?) and someone posted an 'average years of life lost" and it was over 10, so yeah there were some 93 year olds that a cold could have killed, but enough 50 year olds that had 20+ years left.

Some of that is hard to say. A healthy 50 year old probably has 20 years left. I am 50 and people get mad when I say I have about 20 years left. But an overweight 50 year old with other problems? It gets very subjective. The survival rate is at least 99.5%, if we add in the uncounted cases probably 99.9%.

I agree, open up. When it opens go to Chefs and enjoy a good meal.
The President is a fink.
May 4th, 2020 at 1:55:17 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Probably some were called COVID deaths when they weren't. But not enough to change the concept that this virus was a killer, both stealthy and potent.

You are correct in your 'flatten the curve point". But, we were just not willing to NOT flatten it and let people die in NYC because we didn't have enough, hospital beds, equipment, ventilators, etc. if we did not flatten the curve.

As for whether we would have been better off without a total shutdown, well, yes, if you were one of the survivors you would have been better off without the shutdown. (If you also did not have someone important to you die from it as well) If you live to 90 you were better off by not buying life insurance. If you never have gotten into a car accident you would have been better off not buying collision insurance.

I'm ready for the 'open up'. I'll accept the added death and misery. Let's get back to living.

A much larger percentage of those that died were in seniors care facilities than their percentage of the population. Few of those people had many years left. I expect that wasn't taken into the '10 year' calculation you quoted. My mother-in-law spent 7 years in a care facility and was the longest time resident when she died.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin