2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

April 30th, 2020 at 8:56:24 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC

Why are you liberals so against Flynn getting all of his due process instead of just what he already had?

He's disgusting
I would never ever chant "Lock her up" regarding the former Secretary of State
Its disgusting and un-American.
Its the chant from a banana republic
I don't like Trump but I would never yell "lock him up". Its against everything I stand for. I believe in a fair justice system.
NOBODY SHOULD BE LOCKED UP SIMPLY DUE TO POLITICS
Yet that's what Flynn believes. Flynn has no ethics
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 30th, 2020 at 9:03:46 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
He's disgusting
I would never ever chant "Lock her up" regarding the former Secretary of State
Its disgusting and un-American.
Its the chant from a banana republic
I don't like Trump but I would never yell "lock him up". Its against everything I stand for. I believe in a fair justice system.
NOBODY SHOULD BE LOCKED UP SIMPLY DUE TO POLITICS
Yet that's what Flynn believes. Flynn has no ethics

So people that disgust you do not deserve the full protections provided to them by the constitution and laws of the land?

He can disgust you and not be guilty of a crime at the same time.

Just to make sure everyone understands...I am not saying that he is not guilty at this point. He is guilty until the plea is overturned, abandoned, or whatever legal actions happen. He is still guilty if he gets a pardon that ends court action in his case. I am saying that evidence is being brought out that may be enough to overturn his plea and provide a new trial or even no trial at all.

Surely liberals and conservatives (and others) can agree that the process should protect people against abuses and overreach by government.
April 30th, 2020 at 9:17:02 AM permalink
terapined
So people that disgust you do not deserve the full protections provided to them by the constitution and laws of the land?

He can disgust you and not be guilty of a crime at the same time.

I agree
Trump disgusts me yet I would never demand to lock him up. He deserve the full protections provided to him by the constitution and laws of the land.

There is a huge difference between me and Trump supporters like Flynn
Flynn believes people should be locked up simply due to politics
I disagree with Flynn. He and all Americans (Trump and Hillary included) deserve the full protections provided by the constitution and laws of the land. If he is found guilty or pleads guilty, then lock him up :-)
Bottom line, Flynn is a disgraceful American insisting we as a country bypass constitutional protections by demanding Hillary be locked up.
In my book, a General against the constitution is a traitor

Yea the FBI had a hard time going after Flynn
He's a Patriot, hard to go after people like that
but
He got dirty trying to help Trump.
Ying yang. He's a good guy and a bad guy.
FBI was conflicted but in the end, did the right thing.
You are a patriot most of your life does not give you a pass to get dirty and lie for Trump
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 30th, 2020 at 9:45:45 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
It is not necessarily a crime to have your story change if you are not the proper subject of an investigation. That is one example of the misconduct that MAY have happened in this case...they may not have had a reason to investigate him, which would change things.

There is more to the story, we will see how it plays out, and there is more to our judicial system that can happen after a guilty plea.

Perhaps you don't know that, but I suspect that you do...

"However, if a person received ineffective assistance of counsel leading to their decision to plead guilty and waive their rights, a good involuntary plea argument can be fashioned. In that case, the defendant's plea and waiver can be withdrawn and the defendant can start from square one defending the charges against them."

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/reversing-a-bad-result-ineffective-assistance-of-counsel-5873

lol I’m not sure who Flynn’s lawyers were/are, but I’d be willing to go out on a limb and say he wasn’t assigned some crappy public defender... He knew what he was doing.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 30th, 2020 at 9:53:16 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: ams288
lol I’m not sure who Flynn’s lawyers were/are, but I’d be willing to go out on a limb and say he wasn’t assigned some crappy public defender... He knew what he was doing.

Even good, expensive (some may be only one of those things) lawyers can screw up.

I get it; no need for further discussion since your position is that he gets no further due process and I think that it should play out and we can go from there.

Your position comes down to this:

If someone enters a guilty plea, they are guilty and that is it. It does not matter what the government did to get there. They deserve no further protection and should be sent to jail.
April 30th, 2020 at 9:53:22 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Scott Adams got into a laughing fit
this morning over how much material
he's getting for future Dilbert cartoons
from the Flynn papers being released.

One of them is a lawyers
note from an FBI about Flynn.
The lawyer is making notes to himself
that say things like, why are we here,
to set Flynn up, or to catch him in a
lie so we can prosecute him. Adams
is imagining Clapper or Brennan
or whoever gleefully thinking how
they're gonna get away with all
this and there's a clown lawyer taking
down damning evidence in notes to
himself.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 30th, 2020 at 10:02:17 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

"However, if a person received ineffective assistance of counsel leading to their decision to plead guilty and waive their rights, a good involuntary plea argument can be fashioned. In that case, the defendant's plea and waiver can be withdrawn and the defendant can start from square one defending the charges against them."

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/reversing-a-bad-result-ineffective-assistance-of-counsel-5873

I thought he plead guilty without legal counsel. FBI lying to him to fool him is the same thing done to people everyday to get admission of guilt. It's not illegal.

People crying because he didn't know his rights and he got fooled is the same thing that happens everyday to lots of people.

Maybe they can dismiss it because they did something wrong with the court.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 30th, 2020 at 10:46:00 AM permalink
terapined

If someone enters a guilty plea, they are guilty and that is it.

Pretty much unless somebody held a gun to your head
That's pretty much how the real world works.
That's why lawyers almost always advise not to plead guilty regardless how bad the evidence looks.
What is AOS opinion on the guilty verdict, him being a lawyer. Curious.
April 30th, 2020 at 2:33:53 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: SOOPOO
Wanna bet? I am not well versed in what Flynn did or did not do, but I am well versed in the power a federal DA can yield, and the ridiculous coercive power they have.

I have relayed this story before, but a few decades back my group was accused of billing fraud. I met with Federal DA... he told me he knew we did not do it on purpose, but that some bills were submitted illegally over a 3 year period. He offered us a deal that would essentially cost us (20 docs) around $1,000,000. No admission of guilt... no other penalties.... We asked our high priced lawyer for advice.... His answer.... 75% chance if we go to trial we win...... His fees and experts likely cost around $250k..... If we lose we could be at risk for $10k, trebled ($30k) PER BILL. If it was 3,000 bills..... that's $100,000,000. So pay like $50k per doc and be done with it, or pay $12.5k per doc and possibly be bankrupted..... Not even counting the days of lost work by sitting in a courtroom.

If he said 95% chance we would win it was still a risk we could not afford.

So Flynn..... plead guilty to this lower charge..... or else we go after your son...... you don't think that is what happened?

I don't know, but the only thing I do know is that "End of story" is NOT TRUE!

Damn, this is what SOOPOO just did to the libbie! 🤣🤣

April 30th, 2020 at 2:39:54 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Shrek
Damn, this is what SOOPOO just did to the libbie! 🤣🤣

Thanks Mr. Shrek! Next time find the finishing move of Neville (was in WWE a few years back) Way more elegant!