2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

May 4th, 2020 at 1:58:51 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: AZDuffman
Some of that is hard to say. A healthy 50 year old probably has 20 years left. I am 50 and people get mad when I say I have about 20 years left. But an overweight 50 year old with other problems? It gets very subjective. The survival rate is at least 99.5%, if we add in the uncounted cases probably 99.9%.

I agree, open up. When it opens go to Chefs and enjoy a good meal.

A healthy 50 year old has closer to 30 years left, check the actuary tables. 85 is still the age that relatively few people reach in good health.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 4th, 2020 at 2:09:31 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: kenarman
A much larger percentage of those that died were in seniors care facilities than their percentage of the population. Few of those people had many years left. I expect that wasn't taken into the '10 year' calculation you quoted. My mother-in-law spent 7 years in a care facility and was the longest time resident when she died.

Nope. I thought the number would be 5-10, but was wrong. The average life expectancy lost did factor in age, but I am not sure if it figured in physical condition. Not all 85 year olds are alike. You'd be surprised at how much life expectancy has increased..........

The 'average' 80 year old has a life expectancy of 8 years!

Edit--- In the USA
May 4th, 2020 at 5:36:45 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: SOOPOO
Nope. I thought the number would be 5-10, but was wrong. The average life expectancy lost did factor in age, but I am not sure if it figured in physical condition. Not all 85 year olds are alike. You'd be surprised at how much life expectancy has increased..........

The 'average' 80 year old has a life expectancy of 8 years!

Edit--- In the USA

Nearly half of known COVID-19 deaths in Canada linked to long-term care homes: Tam

Tam is Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam. The top medical dog in Canada.

The quote is from April 13 so a little dated now and I expect the percentage is dropping.
May 4th, 2020 at 5:51:35 PM permalink
kenarman
If you reach 80 and healthy you likely will get past 85. Using the John Hancock life expectancy calculator for a 65 year old male it came back with 83. I was pretty gently on the health issues: medicated blood pressure, medicated cholesterol, not obese, no alcohol problem and no dangerous drivng.
May 4th, 2020 at 6:41:23 PM permalink
kenarman
As of July 1 2018 the number of people in the US that were 85 or older was 4.55 million. That is less than 1.5% of the total population. Reaching 85 is quite an achievement. There are only another 6.13 million people between 80 and 84 so only a little over 3% of the population is 80 or over. I wonder if we will see a noticeable drop in these numbers from Covid.
May 5th, 2020 at 4:58:36 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Donny had a 1 AM Twitter meltdown over this ad last night, thereby ensuring more people will see it compared to if he would have just kept his dumb mouth shut. Already over 3 million views on Twitter:

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 5th, 2020 at 5:19:25 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: ams288
Donny had a 1 AM Twitter meltdown over this ad last night, thereby ensuring more people will see it compared to if he would have just kept his dumb mouth shut.

Just another intellectually dishonest ad that fails to comprehend that we were fed a line of bull by China that is the main cause of our largest problems. It is like these idiots think Trump created the disease himself.

Politicians from both sides played it down based on information that they were provided. Some even encouraged people to gather in large groups.

Once the scientists figured it out, we moved in a different direction and we've been moving in concert with their advice since then.

I'm sure you love it, because your guy is in a better position to win not because he is actually the better choice but because the country is more likely to move in a different direction when the economy goes to crap...no matter why it goes to crap.

Trump will do what Trump does...some of those millions of views are from people who support him and will help further solidify their support for him and their dislike of Kelly's husband.

Already over 3 million views on Twitter:

I think people don't care as about Twitter as you or the President care about it. I don't have an account and I only hear about it from the news and when folks here post something. It means very little to me. It triggers others. YMMV.
May 5th, 2020 at 6:53:21 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC
Just another intellectually dishonest ad that fails to comprehend that we were fed a line of bull by China that is the main cause of our largest problems.

Trump bought into what China was saying hook, line and sinker till it was too late. That's the problem.
I have never ever believed or trusted what the China govt has said. That's my entire life.
My parents actively protested against the China govt. My Mom was Chinese and was an active fervent anti-communist.
Anybody with any common sense knew China was lying about this virus.
I have no doubt the death toll is at least double what the China govt and China media is reporting over there.
Trump had the accurate info of what was going on over there from our intelligence services but chose to ignore it unlike other worldwide leaders more savvy regarding China.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 5th, 2020 at 7:12:24 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: RonC
Just another intellectually dishonest ad that fails to comprehend that we were fed a line of bull by China that is the main cause of our largest problems. It is like these idiots think Trump created the disease himself.

The Lincoln Project is a PAC formed by a bunch of anti-Trump Republicans. Nice to see you finally take a swipe at your own side without the "both sides" nonsense thrown in for good measure.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 5th, 2020 at 9:27:17 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
The Lincoln Project is a PAC formed by a bunch of anti-Trump Republicans. Nice to see you finally take a swipe at your own side without the "both sides" nonsense thrown in for good measure.

I know who they are. I have said plenty of negative things about Trump...but people like this do not present a solution for the Republican Party; they simply want to help elect someone besides Trump who happens to want to "fundamentally change America" or whatever it was Biden and Hillary said in their town hall or whatever that was the other day.

The "both sides" isn't "nonsense"; only people with blinders fail to see bad folks and bad ideas on their side. Since lefties turn a blind eye to nonsense from people that support their side, it needs to be pointed out. I could give two craps whether you care for it, agree with it, or whatever. It wasn't at all relevant in this case because this was a specific attack from conservatives.