No votes (0%)
2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

March 26th, 2020 at 12:47:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
You could ask why the Mormon and Catholic Church have billions in wealth while there is always need just like people ask why does NASA get money when there is still more basic need.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 26th, 2020 at 1:19:28 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
You could ask why the Mormon and Catholic Church have billions in wealth while there is always need just like people ask why does NASA get money when there is still more basic need.

The point is that societies around the world make decisions everyday that cause 10's if not 100's of millions of people to die every year. Why all of sudden is the possibility of a large number of deaths from Covid 19 worth destroying the worlds economies for, when collectively we shrug off all the other deaths that would be preventable with an equivalent expenditure of time and effort.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 26th, 2020 at 1:38:42 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: kenarman
The point is that societies around the world make decisions everyday that cause 10's if not 100's of millions of people to die every year. Why all of sudden is the possibility of a large number of deaths from Covid 19 worth destroying the worlds economies for, when collectively we shrug off all the other deaths that would be preventable with an equivalent expenditure of time and effort.

Why did we spend so much money, time and energy on terrorism? Its numbers will soon if not already be minimized by this one disease.

I mean if you want to apply perfect logic to all these questions -- they don't necessarily add up.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 26th, 2020 at 1:45:27 PM permalink
kenarman
Why did we spend so much money, time and energy on terrorism? Its numbers will soon if not already be minimized by this one disease.

I mean if you want to apply perfect logic to all these questions -- they don't necessarily add up.

I have said many times on this forum that the response to 9-11 was overblown and cost our society too much in both dollars and loss of freedom.
March 26th, 2020 at 1:46:11 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I dont think we are destroying the worlds economies
My company is looking to the future as all large companies are. We just had a company wide meeting. My company has been devastated but yet no layoffs. They are taking the big picture aproach. Everything is cut to the bone, salary reductions, hourly reductions and furloughs. Company will lose money this year but will survive and be much stronger next year as we gobble up business due to smaller businesses not coming back. The employees they have now will be the key to huge growth next year.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 26th, 2020 at 1:53:55 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: terapined
I dont think we are destroying the worlds economies
My company is looking to the future as all large companies are. We just had a company wide meeting. My company has been devastated but yet no layoffs. They are taking the big picture aproach. Everything is cut to the bone, salary reductions, hourly reductions and furloughs. Company will lose money this year but will survive and be much stronger next year as we gobble up business due to smaller businesses not coming back. The employees they have now will be the key to huge growth next year.

The estimates that 50% of small business's will not survive a 3 month shutdown. About 50% of the total labour force work for small business's. This means that 25% of people will permanently lose their job. Sound like a reasonably big deal to a lot of people.
March 26th, 2020 at 1:57:25 PM permalink
rxwine
I have said many times on this forum that the response to 9-11 was overblown and cost our society too much in both dollars and loss of freedom.

I can't picture how your option, whatever it is would pan out.

It looks like this to me. People go back to work. Massive amounts of people are infected at once. We show dead and dying outside the hospitals which will be filled. We show coffins stacked on top of each other in warehouses.

What do you envision instead?
March 26th, 2020 at 3:54:03 PM permalink
kenarman
I can't picture how your option, whatever it is would pan out.

It looks like this to me. People go back to work. Massive amounts of people are infected at once. We show dead and dying outside the hospitals which will be filled. We show coffins stacked on top of each other in warehouses.

What do you envision instead?

Where we have a difference of opinion is that I believe that you think the lockdown is going to save a large percentage of the possible deaths. I am not convinced of that and feel that the majority of people who are going to die will be gone under either scenario. If my assumption is correct then a lockdown of any extended period to save relatively few lives is not worth the harm of the lockdown. I would love for you to be right. The public health officials know that the death toll is going to be very large but don't want to panic people.

Do you really think the medical personal can work 12 hr days, not being able to see their families, not get the virus for 6 months without breaking down.
March 26th, 2020 at 8:59:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
What's with the non stop whining
on MS/CNN about Trump doing
the daily briefings. Crying about
how unfair it is that he gets all
this free air time and is getting
huge ratings. Yet we all know
without a doubt that if he did
them every other day or third
day, they would all be screaming
he was hiding out. These people
really are so blinded by TDS they
can't think straight.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 26th, 2020 at 10:17:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Where we have a difference of opinion is that I believe that you think the lockdown is going to save a large percentage of the possible deaths. I am not convinced of that and feel that the majority of people who are going to die will be gone under either scenario. If my assumption is correct then a lockdown of any extended period to save relatively few lives is not worth the harm of the lockdown. I would love for you to be right. The public health officials know that the death toll is going to be very large but don't want to panic people.

Do you really think the medical personal can work 12 hr days, not being able to see their families, not get the virus for 6 months without breaking down.

I think we can probably slow it sufficiently still, but it really depends on how it goes in places like NYC and any other hard hit areas.

We have a 2 trillion stimulus. No one has been out of work super long yet.