God and Gay Marriage

July 7th, 2015 at 8:14:20 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: reno
Face, I really enjoyed that contribution. I didn't necessarily agree with all of it, but you certainly hit a couple home runs in there.

One of the myths which really needs to be debunked is that teenage girls these days are getting knocked up....

Nice summation. Too bad science and research carries no weight when the only other choice is abandoning everything upon which you've staked your vocation.
July 7th, 2015 at 8:59:20 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
July 7th, 2015 at 9:15:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Yet it turns out that there were twice as many pregnant teens when I was in high school than there are today.

Interesting the graph trends up in the mid-to-late-80s, when I recall a number of articles about the "epidemic" of teenage mothers.

Quote:
But birth control has allowed us to separate sex from marriage, and so people can wait until they're 30 to get married, as opposed to tying the knot when they're just 19.

That's a very interesting idea. I suppose a look at marriage statistics would confirm a lot of it.

The cause may not be so simple as just contraception, though. Many people, especially women, are delaying marriage in order to get a career going first. If fewer people get married young, there's less pressure for others of their age to marry young; therefore the effect may be kind of self-catalytic in effect.

Very interesting.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 7th, 2015 at 10:06:09 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I concede that artificial birth control does what it was designed to do. However like a drug with awful side effects, it might solve one problem but cause or exacerbate others. It does nothing to solve what Face called our, "brokenness".Birth control doesn't call us to be better, it allows us to be bad without consequences. Some might call this a victory, but I do not.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 7th, 2015 at 10:41:02 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Do you have a chart of the marriage rate to go with that chart of the divorce rate, in the same scale of divorces/marriages per 1000 people?

I suspect that the marriage rate per 1000 people has also been going down.

it would also be interesting to see the divorces per marriages rate.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
July 7th, 2015 at 10:49:53 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: FrGamble
However like a drug with awful side effects, it might solve one problem but cause or exacerbate others.

Preventing the killing of an unborn baby surely trumps the other side effects. Can't we prioritize? Jaywalking isn't as bad as armed robbery. Condoms aren't as bad as abortion.

Birth control doesn't call us to be better, it allows us to be bad without consequences.

Of course there are still consequences. For example, contraceptives can facilitate adultery. That's awful. IUDs, diaphragm, hormones, vasectomies do nothing to protect against STDs-- so there is a false sense of security. That's terrible. Contraceptives help the womanizer seduce & lie to his victim. That's appalling. Contraceptives help the pimp recruit his prostitutes. That's disgusting.

Nevertheless, the benefits far outweigh the harms. Over 32,000 people die annually in car accidents, but the benefits of the automobile outweigh the harms, no?
July 7th, 2015 at 11:52:57 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Divorces have gone down since 2008 because
they're expensive and people can't afford it.
They make less now and work fewer hours.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 7th, 2015 at 1:10:16 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
For example, contraceptives can facilitate adultery.

So do cell phones.

Quote:
Nevertheless, the benefits far outweigh the harms. Over 32,000 people die annually in car accidents, but the benefits of the automobile outweigh the harms, no?

My point above. If we banned everything that has any adverse consequences, we'd have to ban pretty much everything. Ourselves included.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 7th, 2015 at 7:40:54 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67

I completely disagree. Are you saying that contraceptives are as essential as the automobile? In the case of cars the benefits outweigh the harms because we really don't have another choice. If I could give you a sure way to reach your destination without a chance of you or anyone else getting hurt, would you take it, of course. Chastity is a sure way to reach your destination in safety and joy without hurting anyone, why would you not take it? Just to go with your poor analogy a little further; what artificial contraception seems to do is raise the speed limit. It gets people used to going faster than is humanly safe. So let me ask you do the benefits of eliminating the speed limit outweigh the fact that even more people will die or get seriously hurt? I think not.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 7th, 2015 at 8:15:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Chastity is a sure way to reach your destination in safety and joy .

'Joyful chastity', isn't that just about the oldest
oxymoron there is? Oil and water mix better
than those two concepts..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.