God and Gay Marriage

July 7th, 2015 at 8:20:14 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
'Joyful chastity', isn't that just about the oldest
oxymoron there is? Oil and water mix better
than those two concepts..

Actually chastity is a great cause of joy.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 7th, 2015 at 9:12:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble

If you think chastity equals joy, you stopped
shopping too soon. You have a long way to
go before actual joy lands on you. Chastity
is the cause of a great many things, joy
isn't one of them.

My favorite chastity accessory was the
infamous chastity belt. Some women
were forced to wear them when their
husbands were away so they could
experience the joys of chastity first
hand.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 7th, 2015 at 9:57:24 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58

Sex can complicate our ability to relate to other humans, and distract us from communion with the Lord. So eliminating this barrier must be a profound source of liberation for you, FrGamble; what a blessing that you may find peace in a life without sex.

Unfortunately, the Church hierarchy is not quiet about the path of chastity. You like to lecture the rest of us about it. A lot. Boy oh boy, the Church has a lot of painfully specific details to share with us about sex. You guys have given it a lot of thought. Hugh Hefner famously said that his entire business model was based upon the Church telling America not to buy his magazine. Luckily for Hef, you obliged.

There's a condescending tone from the Church to the rest of us. Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes it's blunt, but the basic message seems to be that those of us who enjoy sex are flawed or lacking self-control or petty or inferior or perverted. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, the Church's judgementalism makes me angry. (All of us are hypocrite sinners, John 8:7 wasn't a typo.) On the other hand, I look at the impact of all this self-righteous lecturing (see this graph), and my impulse is to hand you a microphone and encourage you to preach endlessly about the evils of sex. Tell us more, don't hold back, turn up the volume. You're digging your own grave.
July 8th, 2015 at 6:20:19 AM permalink
FrGamble
Whoa, I think you guys don't understand chastity, it is not celibacy. Chastity is basically when you are in control of your sexual desires. It is a healthy way to enjoy sex. Just because you enjoy sex doesn't mean you are flawed or lacking self-control or inferior - it means you are human! God made us that way. Chastity is a virtue that helps us to order our healthy and normal sexual desires in a respectful way focused on a person whom you love, who loves you, and to whom you are married. The opposite of chastity is the recreational sex and hook up culture and I believe no one truly deep down in their hearts enjoys the one-night stand. This is why I think when people hear this message of what God's plan is for love and sex they often tear up. It is what they are looking for in the bars and nightclubs, but are never finding. This image of a lasting, committed, unconditional, enjoyable love is what we all want, Chastity is a great source of joy.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 8th, 2015 at 6:40:29 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: reno
Unfortunately, the Church hierarchy is not quiet about the path of chastity.

The church is quiet about nothing, except the ruined lives of children who were abused by priests.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 8th, 2015 at 12:33:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
It is a healthy way to enjoy sex. .

chas·ti·ty
noun
noun: chastity

the state or practice of refraining from extramarital, or especially from all, sexual intercourse.

So if a person isn't married, like a priest,
how is chastity a healthy way to enjoy sex.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 8th, 2015 at 12:55:50 PM permalink
FrGamble
You first need to get a correct definition. Merriam-Webster says this: the quality or state of being chaste: as a : abstention from unlawful sexual intercourse. This makes it clear that it is not all sex, just unlawful sexual intercourse. Here is another good definition I found Chastity is a virtue that directs all our sexual desires, emotions, and attractions toward the dignity of the person and the real meaning of love.
July 8th, 2015 at 1:17:21 PM permalink
Evenbob
Chastity is a virtue that directs all our sexual desires, emotions, and attractions toward the dignity of the person and the real meaning of love.

I always thought chaste meant this:

chaste (chāst)
adj. chast·er, chast·est
a. Not having experienced sexual intercourse; virginal.
b. Abstaining from sexual relations; celibate.

They used to describe young girls as chaste.
When you forced a wife to wear a chastity
belt, you were forcing her to be celibate in
your absence.
July 8th, 2015 at 2:52:13 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
You first need to get a correct definition. Merriam-Webster says this: the quality or state of being chaste: as a : abstention from unlawful sexual intercourse. This makes it clear that it is not all sex, just unlawful sexual intercourse.

So the term "chaste" could apply to (some) married straight couples. But unmarried straight couples who live together are considered unchaste.

Is it even possible for a married gay couple to be chaste, or does their homosexuality automatically disqualify them?
July 8th, 2015 at 3:48:30 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: reno
So the term "chaste" could apply to (some) married straight couples. But unmarried straight couples who live together are considered unchaste.

Supposedly Catholic priests are celibate because Jesus was. My theory is he was impotent. In any case, that's the unrealistic expectation on which the church hierarchy rests, and it colors all their thinking about sex and sexuality. I wouldn't expect rationality in such a case.

Quote:
Is it even possible for a married gay couple to be chaste, or does their homosexuality automatically disqualify them?

Jesus said not a single word about homosexuality. therefore the founders of the church were stuck with whatever prejudices they inherited from Judaism, which has too many hang-ups concerning sex. It may be a regional thing, as Islam shares many of these and adds some of its own. In any case, I'd expect no rationality there either.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER