In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

October 2nd, 2014 at 2:22:45 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Ebola outbreak disrupts Exxon's oil drilling

It doesn't even have to make landfall in your home country to have an effect.

This Ebola thing seems to be the most over-hyped health scare since SARS.

Pick a number for even money?

I don't recall them doing this with SARS or bird flu.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-02/doctor-boards-atlanta-flight-hazmat-suit-protest-lying-cdc#comments

edit; Maybe its just the hype, I sure hope so. It sees to be a miserable disease all around.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 2nd, 2014 at 3:18:02 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
Ebola outbreak disrupts Exxon's oil drilling

It doesn't even have to make landfall in your home country to have an effect.

I'm surprised that you don't see this kind of thing for what it almost always is...market hype. They'll drill there when they are ready and the fear of Ebola will not stop them. I have a feeling they weren't quite ready to drill and this gave them a quick out that could also, just maybe, cause a little bump in the oil prices.

...like the President and his party, the oil companies never seem to pass up a good crisis!!
October 2nd, 2014 at 3:46:24 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I find it very disturbing that somehow the "all-white" family is automatically to blame.

Well its in the article, that's how the plaintiff describes the situation, its a quote from the article.

"all-white, and often unconsciously insensitive family"

Anyway I find this lawsuit ridiculous. They are suing for money and they got a refund.
Where are the monetary damages to sue?
Its really sad. So what if the child is bi-racial.
Being bi-racial in this country, you can go far, as far as President of USA just like our current bi-racial President.
Lawsuit should be dismissed.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 2nd, 2014 at 3:53:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
Well its in the article, that's how the plaintiff describes the situation, its a quote from the article.

"all-white, and often unconsciously insensitive family"

Not reacting to the article, I am reacting to:

I find this couple and their white family very disturbing.

Quote:

Anyway I find this lawsuit ridiculous. They are suing for money and they got a refund.
Where are the monetary damages to sue?
Its really sad. So what if the child is bi-racial.
Being bi-racial in this country, you can go far, as far as President of USA just like our current bi-racial President.
Lawsuit should be dismissed.

The lawsuit should *not* be dismissed, they have a great cast for malpractice. They paid for sperm from a white male. They received sperm from a black male. Total screw-up on the part of the clinic. Damages can be debated, but it is a valid lawsuit.

They wanted a white child, not a bi-racial child. Totally their choice, and they need not give a reason for said choice.
The President is a fink.
October 2nd, 2014 at 4:14:49 PM permalink
terapined
Not reacting to the article, I am reacting to:

The lawsuit should *not* be dismissed, they have a great cast for malpractice. They paid for sperm from a white male. They received sperm from a black male. Total screw-up on the part of the clinic. Damages can be debated, but it is a valid lawsuit.

They wanted a white child, not a bi-racial child. Totally their choice, and they need not give a reason for said choice.

As to the comment "white family" . You have a valid point. How about this, I find it disturbing that this couple is suing because of her "all-white, and often unconsciously insensitive family"
What are the monetary damages? There are none(they got a total refund). What if the child was born with a cleft, or port wine stain?
There are all kind or weird genes showing up that affect appearance that may disappear for a generation or 2 then show up.
Appearance of a new born cannot be guaranteed.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 2nd, 2014 at 4:40:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
As to the comment "white family" . You have a valid point. How about this, I find it disturbing that this couple is suing because of her "all-white, and often unconsciously insensitive family"

Stated a little better, but I think the same would happen if an all-black family had the same thing happen in reverse. Other races as well.

Quote:
What are the monetary damages? There are none(they got a total refund). What if the child was born with a cleft, or port wine stain?
There are all kind or weird genes showing up that affect appearance that may disappear for a generation or 2 then show up.
Appearance of a new born cannot be guaranteed.

Sorry, but there are clear monetary damages as the clinic was guilty of gross negligence. The couple wanted a child that shared their ethnic heritage and got something else. Now, I realize it is somehow "evil" in some eyes for white folks to want this, but again it is their right.

The clinic did not offer a "guarantee" of some kind of appearance, they offered a guarantee that they would provide sperm of a white male. They did not. Clear negligence. The purpose of punitive damages is to punish negligence. Just a refund does not cut it.
The President is a fink.
October 2nd, 2014 at 5:05:31 PM permalink
terapined
Stated a little better, but I think the same would happen if an all-black family had the same thing happen in reverse. Other races as well.

Sorry, but there are clear monetary damages as the clinic was guilty of gross negligence. The couple wanted a child that shared their ethnic heritage and got something else. Now, I realize it is somehow "evil" in some eyes for white folks to want this, but again it is their right.

The clinic did not offer a "guarantee" of some kind of appearance, they offered a guarantee that they would provide sperm of a white male. They did not. Clear negligence. The purpose of punitive damages is to punish negligence. Just a refund does not cut it.

Ok, you are right, they didn't get what they paid for.
I am just so disappointed.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." MLK.
October 2nd, 2014 at 5:17:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Ok, you are right, they didn't get what they paid for.
I am just so disappointed.

Why? Something wrong with being proud of your heritage? Something wrong with expecting medical professionals to do the procedure that was ordered?
The President is a fink.
October 2nd, 2014 at 5:33:28 PM permalink
terapined
Why? Something wrong with being proud of your heritage? Something wrong with expecting medical professionals to do the procedure that was ordered?

I said disappointed, not wrong.
I am disappointed that more families don't appreciate a multi cultural heritage like my family. Irish, Italian, Chinese , Japanese. That's all.
October 2nd, 2014 at 6:48:56 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Lets examine this:

1. It is sperm of a black male, which means that the couple is "racist" if they say they really wanted a white baby

2. BUT they are a lesbian couple which means they dare not be criticized for anything, ever.

3. So if they want to, they can simply abort the child and try again, so they are not "burdened with it."

4. But to do so would be "racist." So they should not be allowed to abort for this reason.

5. However, to say they should not choose an abortion would not be "pro-choice."

So if they choose to abort they are "racist" but if they choose to keep it they upset the pro-choice crowd; meanwhile no matter what they do, either group cannot criticize it because to do so would be "anti-gay."

Like I said, this will be fun to watch!

To me, all of these are side issues that distract from and inflame the situation, like blaming the victim of a rape because she wore a short skirt or something.

In a medical procedure, there should be redundancy and verification in the chain of treatment. Some person mis-read a number (sample 330 was selected, sample 380 was used); apparently no one else verified the sample. That's shoddy procedures by the clinic. What if the donor sperm had, instead, been the wrong rh and the pregnancy hurt the mother or the fetus? Or some other mismatch; perhaps they had selected for other things, like height, tendency towards obesity, male-pattern baldness, any number of genetic traits?

That it's a black man's sperm is not the point; the receiving mother had selected a particular father and had every right to expect the child to be an offspring of that person, as much as if it had been a natural conception. This was not a random result of unprotected sex; it was a deliberate choice of father, and goes to the basic quality of service provided by the clinic. They are 100% responsible for selling the service they claim to provide with total reliability. It's too serious a matter, lasting literally a lifetime, if they get it wrong.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has