In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

October 12th, 2014 at 7:19:50 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
Lie on a resume in Saudi Arabia and you may wind up in a Saudi prison which is pure hell on earth.

My parents worked in Bahrain and my uncle in SA. He made whiskey which sold pretty fast.

A guy I worked with grew up there for awhile and was friends with some sheiks kid. The kids father had a personal beheader. I guess I hadn't thought about they're prisons much as they were just torture chambers. Punishments I was made aware of were handled right at the spot where the suspects were found.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 13th, 2014 at 9:24:48 PM permalink
petroglyph
A quick video on "Edward Bernay's" the father of western propaganda, [ or should I say "public relations"] if crushed for time start at 2 minutes. His story is fascinating including his influence on western advertising and news media.

http://youtu.be/5_UbAmRGSYw

And if you liked that, the pdf http://www.whale.to/b/bernays.pdf#sthash.ZQorWK6i.dpuf

Controlling public opinion is as old as the hills.
October 15th, 2014 at 4:01:09 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
"White House journalists are creating an alternative system for distributing their media “pool” reports in response to the Obama administration’s involvement in approving and disapproving certain content in official reports."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/white-house-pool-reporters-test-own-news-distribution-system/2014/10/14/e005686a-53cc-11e4-809b-8cc0a295c773_story.html

It seems as if this "pool system" of distributing reports was poorly designed to from the beginning. The White House schedules the pools and then releases the information. We can argue whether or not handling the pools should be taxpayer funded (it is now) but letting the White House staff handle it is just asking for trouble.

The system should be designed so that the journalists are scheduled, and the pool reports distributed, by the organization of journalists with some checks and balances to make sure that the assignments are fairly assigned. I think the costs should be handled by the organization and not the White House to help keep any White House out of the process. Reports should be accurate and they can be vetted if necessary but there should be no control by the White House of the actual release or timing of the release.
October 17th, 2014 at 10:58:50 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
A major employer in Australia is about to start trialling artificial intelligence to work out how to revamp its workforce – and slash the number of permanent jobs done by human beings.

Simon Townsend, chief innovation officer Asia Pacific for recruiting giant Allegis Global Solutions, said one of his largest clients was set to begin a world-first pilot. It would use artificial intelligence software developed in the United States that can assess all the tasks involved in a role and come up with recommendations for change, he said.

http://www.brw.com.au/p/tech-gadgets/artificial_intelligence_revamping_NNldzW3q4MLg6icw0X0QVK

Will we always be able to employ humans?

One wonders if at some point there will be an organization/government entity responsible for finding something to occupy human's time besides work.

Or maybe that will never come to pass.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 18th, 2014 at 5:00:24 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
http://www.brw.com.au/p/tech-gadgets/artificial_intelligence_revamping_NNldzW3q4MLg6icw0X0QVK

Will we always be able to employ humans?

One wonders if at some point there will be an organization/government entity responsible for finding something to occupy human's time besides work.

Or maybe that will never come to pass.

Until you get a robot prostitute there will always be work for humans to do.
The President is a fink.
October 18th, 2014 at 5:19:51 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Katy Conrad, media booker for CBS “This Morning” decided Rand Paul was not qualified to talk about Ebola. Her Twitter rant:

“Not sure when @SenRandPaul became a doctor, but says Ebola can spread from a person who has the disease to someone standing 3ft away #uhmm”

I guess she didn't know Senator Paul is also Dr. Paul who as an ophthalmologist who recently did hundreds of free cataract operations to help some Third World people see again, all in a week.

C-BS!
The President is a fink.
October 18th, 2014 at 7:48:19 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman
Katy Conrad, media booker for CBS “This Morning” decided Rand Paul was not qualified to talk about Ebola. Her Twitter rant:

“Not sure when @SenRandPaul became a doctor, but says Ebola can spread from a person who has the disease to someone standing 3ft away #uhmm”

I guess she didn't know Senator Paul is also Dr. Paul who as an ophthalmologist who recently did hundreds of free cataract operations to help some Third World people see again, all in a week.

C-BS!

When Ron Paul speaks about ebola, its as a politician.
Yea, with ebola everybody should consult their eye doctor. lol
He may be an eye doctor which I generally trust, but his main profession is being a politician, I don't trust politicians. Therefore anything Rand Paul says, I take it with a huge grain of salt because he is a politician.
If the CBS booker is doing a proper job, that person would book a health expert with no political bent to discuss the dangers of ebola.
Rand Paul is following the Republican game plan of scaring the public into voting republican. I am not concerned about ebola.
What are the odds? right now in this country, 2 in 300 million. A billion more dangerous things in life then ebola.
I would like to hear from Rand what are the odds of catching ebola as opposed to getting killed by a gun. He wont go there.
CBS made the right decision.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 18th, 2014 at 8:24:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: terapined
He may be an eye doctor which I generally trust, but his main profession is being a politician, I don't trust politicians. Therefore anything Rand Paul says, I take it with a huge grain of salt because he is a politician.
If the CBS booker is doing a proper job, that person would book a health expert with no political bent to discuss the dangers of ebola.
Rand Paul is following the Republican game plan of scaring the public into voting republican. I am not concerned about ebola.
What are the odds? right now in this country, 2 in 300 million. A billion more dangerous things in life then ebola.
I would like to hear from Rand what are the odds of catching ebola as opposed to getting killed by a gun. He wont go there.
CBS made the right decision.

Sorry, but I do not see where the GOP is using Ebola to scare people to vote GOP. I have heard various members of the Democrat Party blaming it on the GOP.

Unless you are in health care there is little to worry about. But the CBS booker made a fool of herself.
The President is a fink.
October 18th, 2014 at 9:30:52 AM permalink
petroglyph
Quote:
Quote: terapined

I think you only made a typo here? But just in case I am mistaken?

http://www.ronpaul.com/on-the-issues/health-care/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Ron_Paul

Dr. Ron Paul, often when home in his Texas district gave away free medical care to his constituents "without charge". He is an american patriot who's voting record along constitutional lines is unmatched.

I think you meant Rand Paul?
October 18th, 2014 at 12:12:17 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
I think you only made a typo here? But just in case I am mistaken?

http://www.ronpaul.com/on-the-issues/health-care/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Ron_Paul

Dr. Ron Paul, often when home in his Texas district gave away free medical care to his constituents "without charge". He is an american patriot who's voting record along constitutional lines is unmatched.

I think you meant Rand Paul?

Yes a typo, I meant Rand Paul.
Anyway, ebola is tough to get.
I cant remember trading any kind of bodily fluids with total strangers in say, hmm, my lifetime.
Bottom line is it is hard to get. Aids is hard to get.
Chances of me dying from a gunshot are much greater then catching ebola.
And those chances of dying from a gunshot are slim, just million times more likely then me dying from ebola.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"