In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

October 3rd, 2014 at 2:45:20 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: beachbumbabs
In a medical procedure, there should be redundancy and verification in the chain of treatment. Some person mis-read a number (sample 330 was selected, sample 380 was used); apparently no one else verified the sample. That's shoddy procedures by the clinic.
Insurance premiums are skyrocketing for sperm banks but it is still cheaper to hire untrained personnel and work them to death where everything has tiny little labels and all containers look alike. Technicians are poorly paid, poorly trained and usually so frazzled by the end of the day that mistakes are inevitable.

In a kitchen an unlabeled saucer of sugar and an unlabeled saucer of salt are poor choices to make but a cake can be thrown into the garbage and everyone can go out and get drunk.

Hospitals that use "room 9" and "Waiting Area 9" are obviously going to have medications administered to the wrong persons when those terms refer to two separate areas that are close by. Hospitals that require bar code scanning of test tubes will have fewer mistakes than those that rely on small printed labels.

Larger social issues? Of course. How would Archie Bunker react to this? One Dutch woman explained to her black son that he was supposed to go to a black mother but that he just wanted to be born so much that God gave him to her so he would not have to wait. A very nice explanation for the little kid, but it just didn't go over so well with her husband.
October 3rd, 2014 at 4:28:04 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: beachbumbabs

In a medical procedure, there should be redundancy and verification in the chain of treatment. Some person mis-read a number (sample 330 was selected, sample 380 was used); apparently no one else verified the sample. That's shoddy procedures by the clinic. What if the donor sperm had, instead, been the wrong and the pregnancy hurt the mother or the fetus? Or some other mismatch; perhaps they had selected for other things, like height, tendency towards obesity, male-pattern baldness, any number of genetic traits?

Exceptionally well put. By simply using numbers and written letters together (e.g. 380 (three eight zero)) such a mistake becomes much harder to make. I may have some bias here as all the time I see shoddy work in relation to numbers and writing which creates issues minor and major over 100 years after it has happened. And in most of those cases it is just not taking care of the little things that would have prevented it.

Quote:
That it's a black man's sperm is not the point; the receiving mother had selected a particular father and had every right to expect the child to be an offspring of that person, as much as if it had been a natural conception. This was not a random result of unprotected sex; it was a deliberate choice of father, and goes to the basic quality of service provided by the clinic. They are 100% responsible for selling the service they claim to provide with total reliability. It's too serious a matter, lasting literally a lifetime, if they get it wrong.

Again well put. Let be honest, many women consider traits of a man to be passed to the kids when choosing a mate. This is not just the case in humans but in other animals where the female chooses.

Quote: terapined
I said disappointed, not wrong.
I am disappointed that more families don't appreciate a multi cultural heritage like my family. Irish, Italian, Chinese , Japanese. That's all.

Perhaps they are disappointed that you do not appreciate their proud Irish, Italian, or Korean culture that goes back a thousand years?
The President is a fink.
October 3rd, 2014 at 5:35:26 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Into the Wild.

Instead of death from seeds and roots containing toxic alkaloids its now seeds containing an amino acid Beta-ODAP.

Still questions remain. Foraging on public lands, adequacy of preparations for adverse conditions, ignorant traveling versus prepared for survival challenges, etc.
October 3rd, 2014 at 8:43:45 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
For the less discriminating:

Quote:
Women Skip Both Banks for Free Online Sperm

After finding a “match” online, women and donors often arrange to meet in public places such as a coffee house where the exchange takes place. The donor generally uses a sterile cup to make the donation in the bathroom. He then hands the sample to the recipient, who can inseminate herself using an “instead cup,” a disposable menstrual cup that fits onto the cervix, or she can take the sperm home or to a nearby hotel to inseminate with a drugstore syringe.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/01/10/women-skip-both-banks-for-free-online-sperm/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 3rd, 2014 at 8:47:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine

Whatever happened to hooking up, leaving the next morning, and never seeing the guy again?
The President is a fink.
October 8th, 2014 at 6:55:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman
And then they wonder why nobody trusts the media?

"Why Florida’s record-setting hurricane drought portends danger"

So before it was we have to worry about global warming causing severe weather. Now a LACK OF SEVERE WEATHER is somehow a problem?

Good Grief!
The President is a fink.
October 8th, 2014 at 7:25:48 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: AZDuffman
And then they wonder why nobody trusts the media?

"Why Florida’s record-setting hurricane drought portends danger"

So before it was we have to worry about global warming causing severe weather. Now a LACK OF SEVERE WEATHER is somehow a problem?

Good Grief!

I can hardly believe that this was actually a serious article. The sky is falling, the sky is falling.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 8th, 2014 at 10:06:03 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Japans east coast and therefore Fukushima Diachi is getting pounded. Last week some areas received two feet of rain.

Now this;

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/years-strongest-storm-super-typhoon-vongfong-forecast-to-hit-japan-20141008-10rnkm.html

The nuclear power plant destroyed in 2011 long since stopped being newsworthy but not for one second has it stopped emanating millions of bq's of radiation.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/10/03/1334147/-Release-Dispersion-and-Fate-of-Radioactive-Strontium-From-Fukushima-in-the-North-Pacific-Ocean#

Arnie Gunderson who I believe worked on the construction of the plant has said this is an ele, extinction level event. It's just not news.

What would the Kardashians do?[sarc]
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 9th, 2014 at 1:58:06 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
it was eye-opening to me that Japan would have had anything less than the most secure nuclear power anywhere, yet ...

In particular above-ground storage of used rods really stands out to me as pure stupidity
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 9th, 2014 at 3:24:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: odiousgambit
it was eye-opening to me that Japan would have had anything less than the most secure nuclear power anywhere, yet ...

In particular above-ground storage of used rods really stands out to me as pure stupidity

I still have to wonder on the rods and other used items why we can't just dig a big shaft and detonate a very small nuke to incinerate them. I am talking 1-2% the size of Little Boy.
The President is a fink.