In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

November 20th, 2021 at 11:58:27 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
More to the point: If I made a list of, say, 100 comedians...does anyone maintain that there are zero comedians both sides would try to claim?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 20th, 2021 at 12:03:22 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Mission146
I've not given it much thought. I hear something and think it is either funny, or not, then think a comedian generally says funny things, or not. I've just now looked at lists of top, "Conservative Comedians," and, "Liberal Comedians," and it would appear that I have comedians in both categories that I really enjoy.

Curious as to who the top conservative comedians would even be. Tim Allen maybe?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 20th, 2021 at 12:07:03 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: ams288
Curious as to who the top conservative comedians would even be. Tim Allen maybe?

Here’s the list I saw:

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-conservative-republican-comedians/ranker-comedy

Of the Top 10, I like:

Foxworthy
Sandler
White

And I think Engvall is okay. I never really thought of any of these particularly as political comedians, though.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 20th, 2021 at 12:09:25 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Here’s the list I saw:

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-conservative-republican-comedians/ranker-comedy

Of the Top 10, I like:

Foxworthy
Sandler
White

And I think Engvall is okay. I never really thought of any of these particularly as political comedians, though.

That is a terrible list. Many of them aren’t even conservative. Norm MacDonald?! Joan Rivers?! Adam Sandler?!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 20th, 2021 at 12:21:02 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
More to the point: If I made a list of, say, 100 comedians...does anyone maintain that there are zero comedians both sides would try to claim?

"Comedians" are not really the point, and a liberal using it as an example shows liberals have no sense of humor. The point is liberals just tend to be miserable about life and not understand when something is supposed to be funny. Some examples off the top of my head.

--When he was involved in politics Arnold Schwarzenegger said opponents were being economic "girlie men." Liberals went nuts calling him things like sexist and homophobic, if the later was even a word back then. They completely missed that it was an SNL skit and that said skit was about a couple goofballs pretending to be bodybuilders like him.

--Air America got a visit by the Secret Service for a skit about shooting then POTUS Bush. The SS investigates these kind of things regular as policy and nothing came of it. But the sketch was not even funny or clever. It was just some guy getting angry and saying "TAKE THAT!" as he shot.

--Ever watch an old episode of "Amos and Andy?" It is just plain funny, written well. But because it is black people acting silly liberals just plain hate it.

--Just look at how liberals act if some kind of humor shows people "stereotypical" for humor. They go crazy. This falls under satire but they just do not get it.

Those are just a few off the top of my head, there are surely many more.
The President is a fink.
November 20th, 2021 at 12:34:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
Liberals do not get anything but simple jokes.

Not true. There’s plenty of skeletal and muscle complexity when a conservative steps on a rake.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 20th, 2021 at 12:46:41 PM permalink
rxwine
How does a conservative tell knock knock jokes?

Steps on two rakes.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 20th, 2021 at 1:07:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

Those are just a few off the top of my head, there are surely many more.

The biggest complaint that all comedians have now is they can't say anything without offending somebody in the audience. Political correctness. Wokeness. But I think we're moving out of that now, being woke is being ridiculed by everybody. It ruins everything it touches, distorts it and perverts it. Now the Left is even denying it was their idea to begin with that's how bad it's gotten.

This is from The New York Times about 10 days ago and it's well worth reading.

Wokeness operates as if there had been no civil rights movement, and that white Americans hadn’t been an integral part of it. It operates as if 60 years of affirmative action never happened, and that an ever-growing percentage of Black Americans don’t belong to the middle and upper class (and that they are, incidentally, concentrated in the American South). It operates as if we didn’t twice elect a Black president and recently bury a Black general as an American icon.
It operates as if, in city after city, American police forces aren’t led by Black police chiefs and staffed by officers of diverse backgrounds. It operates as if white supremacy is still being systemically enforced, while ignoring the fact that a previously marginalized ethnic minority, namely Asian Americans, enjoys higher income levels than white Americans.

Above all, Wokeness pretends that incidents such as George Floyd’s murder, which are national scandals, are actually national norms. They aren’t, despite current injustices. Most Americans, I suspect, not only sense the falseness of the allegation. They are, increasingly, insulted by it.

This is why Wokeness will fail. For every attempt to cancel certain writers, others will publish them. For every diktat to fix language by replacing some words with others, people will merely find more subversive ways to say the same thing. For every effort to turn high schools and universities into Wokeness factories, there will be efforts to start afresh. Because technology, capital and good ideas move faster than ideology, those efforts will succeed more quickly than their skeptics imagine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/09/opinion/social-justice-america.html
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 21st, 2021 at 1:08:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
About 25 cars blocked the street and rushed into the Walnut Creek Nordstrom making off with goods before getting in cars and speeding away. At least two people arrested at gunpoint.

Since 80 people were said to be involved and it was a timed event, I wonder if they could bring organized crime charges?

off of Twitter no link.
November 21st, 2021 at 7:33:02 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
"This case has nothing to do with race. It never had anything to do with race. It had to do with the right to self-defense," Rittenhouse said. "I'm not a racist person. I support the BLM movement. I support peacefully demonstrating."