In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 2nd, 2021 at 1:08:43 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
There's no sense giving the military more bombs, they're just going to blow them up.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 2nd, 2021 at 1:37:05 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO

Of course you ‘want’ $2k. Who doesn’t. But we have adults (Republican Senators) who understand that you can’t always give everyone everything they want. My wife said she got the $600 in her account yesterday. What a STUPID use of tax dollars.

Extend unemployment benefits that are COVID related. Help pay for pathetic State’s failures at giving out FREE shots! Give more money to restaurants that are FORCED to be closed. Just don’t give my wife and kids money that they do not NEED. Use my tax dollars to help those in need. Seriously, I wouldn’t be surprised if Melanie qualifies for the $600!

It’s going to be fascinating to see what happens in GA.

Is Moscow Mitch blocking the $2000 check bill from coming to a vote in the senate going to cost him his majority?

I’ve seen a lot of anti-Mitch memes on Facebook over the $2000 checks. From friends who aren’t usually political. People want that money and they know who is preventing them from getting it....
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 2nd, 2021 at 2:09:49 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
It’s going to be fascinating to see what happens in GA.

Is Moscow Mitch blocking the $2000 check bill from coming to a vote in the senate going to cost him his majority?

I’ve seen a lot of anti-Mitch memes on Facebook over the $2000 checks. From friends who aren’t usually political. People want that money and they know who is preventing them from getting it....
Sadly you may be correct. The MAJORITY of the American public just has no idea that money does not come from thin air. They just want anything ‘free’ that ‘progressive’ policies will give them. Free food. Free healthcare. Free housing. Free money to ‘stimulate’ them. Not enough adults (Republicans, mostly) to stop them!
January 2nd, 2021 at 2:59:10 PM permalink
ams288
Sadly you may be correct. The MAJORITY of the American public just has no idea that money does not come from thin air. They just want anything ‘free’ that ‘progressive’ policies will give them. Free food. Free healthcare. Free housing. Free money to ‘stimulate’ them. Not enough adults (Republicans, mostly) to stop them!

Calling Republican Senators adults when some of them are currently trying to end democracy as we know it by overturning a legitimate election seems like a stretch.
January 2nd, 2021 at 3:20:00 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Calling Republican Senators adults when some of them are currently trying to end democracy as we know it by overturning a legitimate election seems like a stretch.
. Isn’t there only one doofus Republican Senator going to challenge the electors? It truly is a low point for those many Repub congressmen who will vote not to certify.

I was shocked to learn that there were similar votes by Democrats in 2000, 2004, and 2016. I don’t recall any backlash against those naysayers!

If you want a good analogy, this charade will be similar to the impeachment hearings. A bunch of politicians who like to hear themselves speak with a zero percent chance of their ‘goal’ being accomplished.
January 2nd, 2021 at 3:27:57 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
It's 12, but for different reasons, and 11 of them are just threatening unless they get an "emergency audit"

In none of the other elections was there support from both chambers, so they never advanced to the 2 hour debate phase.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gop-senators-cruz-electoral-college-certification-audit

Imagine if democrats told Al Gore in year 2000 which Florida electors to pick like they are trying to convince Pence to do for multiple states.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 2nd, 2021 at 3:56:24 PM permalink
ams288
. Isn’t there only one doofus Republican Senator going to challenge the electors? It truly is a low point for those many Repub congressmen who will vote not to certify.

I was shocked to learn that there were similar votes by Democrats in 2000, 2004, and 2016. I don’t recall any backlash against those naysayers!

I certainly do! Some Dems are still criticizing ex-senator Barbara Boxer over her 2004 shenanigans to this day!

And, of course, Al Gore, John Kerry, and Hillary weren’t egging them on.
January 2nd, 2021 at 6:42:34 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote:
The Pentagon abruptly sent an aircraft carrier home from the Middle East and Africa over the objections of top military advisers, marking a reversal of a weekslong strategy aimed at deterring Iran from attacking American troops and diplomats.

Sounds like someone at the top opening us up for an attack, so they can declare some kind of national emergency to try to stay in power.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 3rd, 2021 at 7:07:11 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
January 4th, 2021 at 6:50:43 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23

Of course you ‘want’ $2k. Who doesn’t. But we have adults (Republican Senators) who understand that you can’t always give everyone everything they want. My wife said she got the $600 in her account yesterday. What a STUPID use of tax dollars.

Extend unemployment benefits that are COVID related. Help pay for pathetic State’s failures at giving out FREE shots! Give more money to restaurants that are FORCED to be closed. Just don’t give my wife and kids money that they do not NEED. Use my tax dollars to help those in need. Seriously, I wouldn’t be surprised if Melanie qualifies for the $600!

I don't. I don't even want the $600. Just going to put the country more in debt and results in no meaningful change to my life. If the Government is going to do something like this at all, then I'd at least want them to draft something that is at least in some way needs-based.

I definitely agree on the restaurants. Quite frankly, I hope they file class action lawsuits against the applicable state Governments and win. They need to get direct operating costs and opportunity costs as compensatory damages, monetary awards to pay all of their (pre-closure) employees as if they had been working full hours the entire time as well as substantial punitive damages.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman