In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

December 26th, 2020 at 12:30:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
Same as that guy in Vegas!

It does have another thing in common with the vegas shooter. Mystery motive, so far.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 26th, 2020 at 12:58:13 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
It does have another thing in common with the vegas shooter. Mystery motive, so far.
Obviously the person is nuts, so maybe they have been binging on the Richard Jewell movies on Netflix and the Unibomber series. Could want to emulate them and be famous? Glad their goal wasn't to take a bunch of lives.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 26th, 2020 at 1:02:04 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
development in bombing:

https://apnews.com/article/us-news-nashville-coronavirus-pandemic-tennessee-dc6eb653053967a4187f0ca8276d20a8
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 26th, 2020 at 10:31:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
It's getting more interesting (or strange) 63 year old suspect recently deeded his house to a 29 year old woman in LA. She previously lived in Nashville and other places.

Could be even a murder for money plot here if there turns out to be anything suspicious about this woman or her potential associates. Or it could even be more like the vegas shooter who gave money to his girlfriend.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 27th, 2020 at 6:14:26 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: SOOPOO
Because the Republicans are the adults in the room. There are still unemployment benefits. Food pantries up the wazoo. Thousands of entry level jobs are going begging. My son and his fiance each make somewhere around $60k a year. Their expenses are WAY down as there is no travel, no eating out, ridiculously low gas prices. Please explain to me how it is wise use of tax dollars to give them each a check of $2,000? FOR EXISTING? It frankly makes NO SENSE to even give them a check for $600 each. As a matter of fact, as a retired guy I probably will qualify for the check, even though I have 7 figures in the bank.

So the original deal agreed to, negotiated in good faith by ALL (except Trump, of course!), should be voted on again, and hopefully will get the 2/3 vote required to override the doofus in chief's veto. Just throwing another $1400 at some who truly need it and most who don't makes no sense. Give that $1400 to the state's to bolster their unemployment payments, or to food pantries, or to job training program..... anything except just handing it out to many who do not need it.

But simple minded Americans will see it as terapined does. "Those bad Republicans don't want to help struggling Americans...."

"This is my offer...nothing."-Michael Corleone

I agree with Trump to the extent that there should be zero in foreign aid in this bill and all of the funds apportioned for Federally-owned institutions (which should be sold to private entities/companies immediately) are equally ridiculous.

There needs to be a stimulus check of $0.00 and it's also time for the expanded unemployment to be done away with. Eviction moratoriums also need to come to an immediate end.

If you want to get back to normal, the way to do that is by getting back to normal. You might make the argument that it's not the fault of the people that they find themselves in this predicament, but it kind of is, because they're the ones who put these @$$(!0WN$ in office. The people who flipped **** about mask-wearing and not taking the pandemic seriously in terms of transmission are also equally to blame. Perhaps if they had been more well-behaved, then the various Governors (particularly NY, PA and CA) couldn't use them as an excuse to shut everything down.

Finally, who cares if the hospitals are overwhelmed? If they get full, then you just refuse to admit people: problem solved. The main people being, "Protected," are those who no longer actively contribute (output) to the economy anyway, and also to a large extent, don't WANT to be protected.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 27th, 2020 at 6:42:15 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146

There needs to be a stimulus check of $0.00 and it's also time for the expanded unemployment to be done away with. Eviction moratoriums also need to come to an immediate end.

If you want to get back to normal, the way to do that is by getting back to normal.

I really have to agree here. We are at <7% unemployment now, which is better than most of the years 2009-2016. Some industries are booming. I get recruiter calls a few times a month. Amazon had a booming season. Help Wanted signs outside half the restaurants in my parts.

People have to be told they cannot hide at home and expect someone to pay their way. Landlords are getting killed. I will not even list my unit at the moment for fear of getting stuck. Don't even think I am alone in that regard.

Really, this thing is a piker compared to other crisis in history. 0.1% death rate in the population! And people in the USA cannot handle it. Compare this to other places in recent history and it shows America to be very, very soft. Compare it to the USSR in WWII and it looks like we cannot handle anything.

We are at a point where the average adult does not remember real hardship or real problems. And it is showing.
The President is a fink.
December 27th, 2020 at 7:16:49 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
"This is my offer...nothing."-Michael Corleone

I agree with Trump to the extent that there should be zero in foreign aid in this bill and all of the funds apportioned for Federally-owned institutions (which should be sold to private entities/companies immediately) are equally ridiculous.

If you want to get back to normal, the way to do that is by getting back to normal. You might make the argument that it's not the fault of the people that they find themselves in this predicament, but it kind of is, because they're the ones who put these @$$(!0WN$ in office. The people who flipped **** about mask-wearing and not taking the pandemic seriously in terms of transmission are also equally to blame. Perhaps if they had been more well-behaved, then the various Governors (particularly NY, PA and CA) couldn't use them as an excuse to shut everything down.

Finally, who cares if the hospitals are overwhelmed? If they get full, then you just refuse to admit people: problem solved. The main people being, "Protected," are those who no longer actively contribute (output) to the economy anyway, and also to a large extent, don't WANT to be protected.

Agree with first bunch of paragraphs. Your last paragraph is just out of touch with reality. ‘Who cares if the hospitals are overwhelmed?’ My guess is if you polled the populace the ayes would exceed 90%! The thought of not having a hospital that could care for you in a time of need is not a situation I would ever want to be in.

I think some would say I ‘no longer actively contribute to the economy’ , but I assure you, I want to be (reasonably) protected. What is ‘reasonable’ is the subject of many of our discussions.

Also.... agree with AZ’s post right above mine....
December 27th, 2020 at 7:25:47 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: SOOPOO
Agree with first bunch of paragraphs. Your last paragraph is just out of touch with reality. ‘Who cares if the hospitals are overwhelmed?’ My guess is if you polled the populace the ayes would exceed 90%! The thought of not having a hospital that could care for you in a time of need is not a situation I would ever want to be in.

I think some would say I ‘no longer actively contribute to the economy’ , but I assure you, I want to be (reasonably) protected. What is ‘reasonable’ is the subject of many of our discussions.

Also.... agree with AZ’s post right above mine....

I'm talking about the fact that the non-mask wearing, non social distancing, gather in big groups (especially churches) crowd tends to be Republican-leaning. If they want COVID, let them get it and when the hospitals are full and cannot treat them it will be what they had coming.

That's not to say I support any shutdown measures, which I don't, (except large indoor gatherings, such as an arena) but the people who actually partake in such things maskless or argue with private businesses who want them to be wearing masks inside can all get dead for all I care.

So, they can CLAIM they care whether or not the hospitals are overwhelmed...but they clearly don't...because if they were to get everything they wanted all at once, the hospitals would indeed be overwhelmed.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 27th, 2020 at 4:45:24 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

So, they can CLAIM they care whether or not the hospitals are overwhelmed...but they clearly don't...because if they were to get everything they wanted all at once, the hospitals would indeed be overwhelmed.

Think of the pickle the hospitals would be in if we prevented all disease and injury. They would be empty and bitching about that.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 28th, 2020 at 8:37:02 AM permalink
HotDog
Threads: 0