Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

September 22nd, 2019 at 10:53:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: fleaswatter
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: pew
I've been on the water all my life and the tides come twice a day like clockwork, same high tide, same low tide. Every month it comes up on the road at high tide over several days over and over again but it just doesn't get any higher now than it did fifty years ago. Maybe Florida is simply sinking and that's why the water appears to be rising.

Considering how many more people live there than a generation ago it probably is sinking. If not for being attached all the Cubans that came to Miami in the 1960s might have tipped it over entirely.

The "concern" about "tipping over" reminded me of this video of one of the top democrat scholars currently in congress:

Where I got the inspiration, could not come up with that on my own!
The President is a fink.
September 22nd, 2019 at 10:57:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
I drive a Prius, I was one who always made fun of the Prius crowd, I used to like Trucks and muscle cars, until I got one and now spend about 15USD a month on gas (and I drive quite often). That being said I don't support gas tax or inflated gas pricing to encourage fuel efficiency, because those taxes always effect the poor disproportionately.

How much more did you spend om the Prius vs. a regular subcompact? The spread is probably not what it once was. At one time, goofballs were paying $5K over sticker for a Prius, showing math is not the strong suit of some. But the math still needs to be done.

I loved my Accent when I first got it, loved it even more when gas went to >$3 a gallon two months after. Then I went SUV and can't look back. My current SUV does almost as good on gas as that Accent did sometimes. Maybe 4-5 mpg less. But I'd have a hard time going back.
The President is a fink.
September 22nd, 2019 at 11:00:00 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I've been on the water all my life and the tides come twice a day like clockwork, same high tide, same low tide. Every month it comes up on the road at high tide over several days over and over again but it just doesn't get any higher now than it did fifty years ago. Maybe Florida is simply sinking and that's why the water appears to be rising.

Sea level doesn't rise evenly even though bodies of water are connected. For several reasons. For instance a large (depression) river running inward from the coast can absorb an ocean rise unseen as long as land inside the main coast has somewhere to absorb the water, whereas other land masses may not have such a feature.

For instance, the middle of florida can be more affected by the slow rise of the ocean as it may be picking up the excess water, FOR NOW. Like a sponge, there is only many places for it to absorb excess water. When we have a real fast rise, like a hurricane, that process is overwhelmed. Aside from that, water can reside inland in pools, and leave by evaporation or other usage rather than rolling back out to the coastline.

But water is also affected by prevailing winds, average temps, and much like the moon, tectonic plates movement.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 22nd, 2019 at 11:50:07 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4

Considering how many more people live there than a generation ago it probably is sinking. If not for being attached all the Cubans that came to Miami in the 1960s might have tipped it over entirely.
Maybe Rhode Island and Providence Plantations is rising due to population loss to Florida and that's why they're sinking. Yeah, that's the ticket!
September 22nd, 2019 at 3:41:52 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
How much more did you spend om the Prius vs. a regular subcompact? The spread is probably not what it once was. At one time, goofballs were paying $5K over sticker for a Prius, showing math is not the strong suit of some. But the math still needs to be done.

I loved my Accent when I first got it, loved it even more when gas went to >$3 a gallon two months after. Then I went SUV and can't look back. My current SUV does almost as good on gas as that Accent did sometimes. Maybe 4-5 mpg less. But I'd have a hard time going back.

It's a 2016, it was about 16k when I got it a year ago with 10kish miles.
According to a recent appraisal, its worth close to 22k currently, I have no idea how, it must be something about the year model. So I either got a great deal, or the appraisal was way off.

If I drive smart I can get 60-70mpg. With hybrids, they ironically get better mileage in the city, because the engine shuts off when stopped, and in low speed traffic it mostly uses the battery.

I honestly don't know how that compares to other compacts or hybrids because this is my first, and I honestly did not shop around as I probably should have.
September 23rd, 2019 at 2:13:32 PM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Let's go Brandon
September 23rd, 2019 at 2:18:46 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Greta will get a Nobel Prize.

Donny won’t.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 23rd, 2019 at 2:30:21 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: ams288

"My message is that we will be watching you.

This is all wrong. I shouldn’t be up here. I should be back in school on the other side of the ocean. Yet you all come to us young people for hope. How dare you? You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words, yet I’m one of the lucky ones. People are suffering; people are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk about is the money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth. How dare you? For more than 30 years, the science has been crystal clear.

How dare you continue to look away and come here saying that you’re doing enough when the politics and solutions needed are still nowhere in sight? You say you hear us and that you understand the urgency, but no matter how sad and angry I am, I do not want to believe that, because if you really understood the situation and still kept on failing to act, then you would be evil, and that I refuse to believe.

The popular idea of cutting our emissions in half in 10 years only gives us a 50% chance of staying below 1.5 degrees and [brings] the risk of setting off irreversible chain reactions beyond human control. Fifty percent may be acceptable to you, but those numbers do not include tipping points, most feedback loops, additional warming hidden by toxic air pollution, or the aspects of equity and climate justice. They also rely on my generation sucking hundreds of billions of tons of your CO2 out of the air with technologies that barely exist. So a 50% risk is simply not acceptable to us, we who have to live with the consequences. To have a 6 to 7% chance of staying below 1.5 degrees of global temperature rise, the best odds given by the IPCC [are that] the world had 420 gigatons of CO2 left to emit back on January 1, 2018. Today, that figure is down to less than 350 gigatonnes. How dare you pretend that this can be sold with just business as usual and some technical solutions?

With today’s emissions levels, that remaining CO2 budget will be entirely gone within less than eight and a half years. There will not be any solutions or plans presented in line with these figures here today, because these numbers are too uncomfortable, and you are still not mature enough to tell it like it is. You are failing us, but the young people are starting to understand your betrayal. The eyes of all future generations are upon you, and if you choose to fail us, I say, we will never forgive you. We will not let you get away with this. Right here, right now is where we draw the line. The world is waking up, and change is coming whether you like it or not. Thank you." - Greta

Donny won’t.

“Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world — it’s true! — but when you’re a conservative Republican they try — oh, do they do a number — that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune — you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me — it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are — nuclear is so powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right, who would have thought? — but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it’s four — but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years — but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us, this is horrible.” - Donald
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 23rd, 2019 at 2:32:19 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

Donny won’t.

The future Noble prize winner just gave Trump the stink eye
Gotta love this little girl
You go girl :-)

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/greta-thunberg-trump-glare-united-nations-climate-change-a9117476.html?fbclid=IwAR2bqNl6C23j14SRSJLa4qVSBZ7P-_NWGvuSbtQ4djosTwyMLm5i_MDFW6A
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 23rd, 2019 at 3:15:04 PM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3

If somehow this happens, she will be as worthy of it as the one former President Odumdum received.
Let's go Brandon