Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

July 3rd, 2019 at 1:15:07 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Member since: Feb 19, 2014
Threads: 16
Posts: 2380
Answering both AZ and EB's last posts.

Not necessarily disagreeing that individuals who do things or support things that theoretically combat global warming aren't tilting at windmills. But you would have said the same thing about LGBTQABCDEFG.... people years ago trying to get 'accepted' by society.... and now for the most part they are. We can now make fun of Buttigieg because he wants to pay off (BUY votes) of African Americans rather than because he is gay. We can now disqualify Kamala because she slept her way to political power, not because she is a woman of color. You think openly gay Michael Sam gets a sniff of the NFL in 1977?
Bob, you and I (and most everyone else) can disagree about whether man influenced global warming is real, but you can't argue that political policies are changing real things to combat it. OBVIOUSLY less so with our current President than if we get a President Biden or Harris or Buttigieg.
July 3rd, 2019 at 1:37:34 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 128
Posts: 13537
Quote: SOOPOO

Bob, you and I (and most everyone else) can disagree about whether man influenced global warming is real, but you can't argue that political policies are changing real things to combat it. OBVIOUSLY less so with our current President than if we get a President Biden or Harris or Buttigieg.


Not "changing" but acting like they have. Remember when Bush43 pulled out of Kyoto? We heard it would be the end of the world. That global warming would have killed us by now. Nothing happened. Now Trump has the guts to get us out of an even worse deal.

These treaties are just little games to transfer money. Same as why do you think the big boys love the idea of a CO2 exchange? It is because they will cash in, and cash in big. Follow the money, always.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
July 3rd, 2019 at 2:18:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 139
Posts: 22411
Quote: SOOPOO
can disagree about whether man influenced global warming is real,
.


It's always doing one or the
other, cooling or warming.
To think we can have any
but the tiniest impact on
it is folly. This is and always
has been about the money.
Nobody but nobody on the
upper tier would have GW
as a priority if they didn't
stand to make big bucks
off of it. Look at Al Gore, he's
made millions and nothing
has changed.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 3rd, 2019 at 3:28:35 PM permalink
aceofspades
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 83
Posts: 2012
I always reply to friends of mine who say we are "killing the Earth" with this

The Earth will be here (most likely) until our Sun explodes - we cannot kill the Earth
I tell them they should be alleging we are making the Earth inhospitable to certain species but that other species will take their places, including humans
To that, I say, who cares
July 3rd, 2019 at 3:36:44 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 128
Posts: 13537
Quote: aceofspades
I always reply to friends of mine who say we are "killing the Earth" with this

The Earth will be here (most likely) until our Sun explodes - we cannot kill the Earth
I tell them they should be alleging we are making the Earth inhospitable to certain species but that other species will take their places, including humans
To that, I say, who cares


George Carlin put it simple. Said "the planet is doing fine. One day it will shake us off like the fleas we are."
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
July 3rd, 2019 at 5:27:25 PM permalink
terapined
Member since: Aug 6, 2014
Threads: 52
Posts: 6740
Quote: aceofspades
I always reply to friends of mine who say we are "killing the Earth" with this

The Earth will be here (most likely) until our Sun explodes - we cannot kill the Earth
I tell them they should be alleging we are making the Earth inhospitable to certain species but that other species will take their places, including humans
To that, I say, who cares


On the flip side
We are very lucky Chernobyl did not kill an entire continent and only a large city and the surrounding area
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 4th, 2019 at 7:04:23 AM permalink
aceofspades
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 83
Posts: 2012
Quote: terapined
On the flip side
We are very lucky Chernobyl did not kill an entire continent and only a large city and the surrounding area



Mother Nature seems to be handling Chernobyl just fine
July 4th, 2019 at 11:11:46 AM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 139
Posts: 22411
90 degrees today. Hot on the 4th
of July. I remember as a kid going
to the fireworks display and sweating
my ass off, getting eaten alive by
bugs. A hot 4th, must be the end of
the fricking world.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 4th, 2019 at 1:05:53 PM permalink
aceofspades
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 83
Posts: 2012
Quote: Evenbob
90 degrees today. Hot on the 4th
of July. I remember as a kid going
to the fireworks display and sweating
my ass off, getting eaten alive by
bugs. A hot 4th, must be the end of
the fricking world.



I remember as a young kid going to DC for the 4th and wading into the reflecting pool in front of the Lincoln Memorial as it was approximately 100˚F
Seems the Earth is cooling by 10˚F since then
July 4th, 2019 at 1:36:55 PM permalink
petroglyph
Member since: Aug 3, 2014
Threads: 24
Posts: 5331
Just got a text from my kid, said they watched the parade in Kenai Ak, where we used to work selling sno cones and cotton candy during events. It was so hot they had to go to the car and turn on the ac., it is 84*. lol

101 here today, not bad at all. Mildest spring and summer since coming here 10 years ago.
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude