Spanish Word of the Day

January 16th, 2014 at 11:26:39 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I think it is a mistake to emphasize such things as prepositions in teaching a language to beginners. It is very dry and boring learning such rules in Spanish and I'm sure English as well.

Which is why most people skip them. When you are reading they tend not to seem very important.
But then you find yourself trying to talk to someone and every two minutes he corrects your por/para preposition. You realize how stupid you sound.
January 17th, 2014 at 4:43:31 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
But then you find yourself trying to talk to someone and every two minutes he corrects your por/para preposition. You realize how stupid you sound.

I find when I try to speak Spanish to anybody they just ignore my mistakes. Sometimes I catch myself in one after the fact and I correct myself but the listener will just nod, as if to say "I get it, just finish what you're trying to say as quickly to get it over with."
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 17th, 2014 at 7:24:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I find when I try to speak Spanish to anybody they just ignore my mistakes.

And that's why you should keep the "typical gringo accent" and not try for good pronunciation. Unless you get to be really fluent.

Quote:
Sometimes I catch myself in one after the fact and I correct myself but the listener will just nod, as if to say "I get it, just finish what you're trying to say as quickly to get it over with."

During any conversation it's annoying to interrupt the flow. In chat over the net, for example, I preffer a few misspelled words than endless editing.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 17th, 2014 at 8:19:44 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 17-1-14
Palabra: Cojear

Today's SWD means to limp. The word for limp, as a noun, is cojera.

Ejemplo time.

El Profesor ha estado cojeando desde el coco cayó en el rodillo. = The Professor has been limping since a coconut fell on his knee.

El palabra de hoy esta dedicar a Russell Johnson.
January 17th, 2014 at 9:48:59 PM permalink
Nareed
El Profesor ha estado cojeando desde el coco cayó en el rodillo. = The Professor has been limping since a coconut fell on his knee.

"...desde QUE el coco...."

BTW rodillA = knee
rodillO = roller, rolling-pin.

Quote:
El palabra de hoy esta dedicar a Russell Johnson.

LA palabra (and this should be worth like 500 push ups)

"...está dedicaDA..."
January 19th, 2014 at 12:53:00 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 19-1-13
Palabra: Entumecer

Today's SWD means to numb.

The question for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with the "tum" in the English tumor.

Ejemplo

Gilligan esta enumecida a el fastidiando de el Skipper. = Gilligan is numb to the nagging of the Skipper.
January 19th, 2014 at 1:41:04 AM permalink
Pacomartin
The question for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with the "tum" in the English tumor.

This comic photo is in Portuguese

There is a connection, but it is not straightforward. They both common from the same related Latin words. The Latin word, "intumescĕre," means to swell, but it also means to be pregnant. Latin tumor "swelling, condition of being swollen".

Note that the word, tumor is also a Spanish word with the same meaning.
January 19th, 2014 at 6:10:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Today's SWD means to numb.

Yes, but it only applies to body parts. As when your foot goes to sleep, or when you get a local anesthetic. Further, these days most people will say "dormido" in reference to the numbness associated with body parts.

Quote:
Gilligan esta enumecida a el fastidiando de el Skipper. = Gilligan is numb to the nagging of the Skipper.

There aren't enough push-ups in the world to make up for that mangled sentence.
January 19th, 2014 at 2:31:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
There aren't enough push-ups in the world to make up for that mangled sentence.

1) Simple conjunctions (i.e. "sugar is sweet") use ser, not estar
2) Per Nareed, the word applies to "numbness of body parts". Perhaps try "insensible"
3) There are only two contractions in Spanish, you missed them both.
4) In English turning a verb to a noun means using the "-ing" form of the verb. Not true in Spanish.
5) I think the idiomatic word for nagging is "persistente", even though it literally means "persisting"
January 20th, 2014 at 2:15:40 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Let's just forget the disaster, which was yesterday's ejemplo, and move on.

Fecha: 20-1-14
Palabra: Quebrantar

Today's SWD means to break/crack.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast quebrantar y romper.

Ejemplo time.

Peter quebrantó el florero porque jugó pelota en la casa. = Peter broke the vase because he played ball in the house.