Spanish Word of the Day

January 15th, 2014 at 7:20:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard

El garage es para mis herramientas y mi coche.
Fue a la librería por cuadernos.

Both expressed a purpose/reason but I don't understand why one is "para" and one is "por."

I have to admit that I don't see the reason here. If I "round robin" translate those sentences in Google Translate, it uses "para" in both cases.

I have a great deal of trouble with para/por myself.
January 15th, 2014 at 7:43:32 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Fecha: 15-1-14
Palabra: Aturdir

Today's SWD means to stun.

Ejemplo time.

La Sra. Howell fue aturdida de la tormenta. = Mrs. Howell was stunned from the storm.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 15th, 2014 at 10:17:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I suspect it means "to stun" only in the literal sense of being shocked. The sense of a beautiful woman as "stunning" (maravilloso) probably has a long list of synonyms.
January 16th, 2014 at 10:00:58 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
El garage es para mis herramientas y mi coche.

Fue a la librería por cuadernos.

Both expressed a purpose/reason but I don't understand why one is "para" and one is "por."

The first example is that the garage is ther for the sake of keeping tools in it. That's its purpose.

In the second sentence someone is going to the bookstore to buy notebooks (she'd have better luck at a "papelería" look it up). So she's going there to get something, not for the sake of that something. That is, the purpose is the person's, not the notebooks'.

My best advice is to read extensively, both fiction and non-fiction (and this includes news and articles), and to note when either por and para appear and how they are used. Also make a firm note that these two terms are not interchangeable.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 16th, 2014 at 2:53:36 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 16-1-14
Palabra: Menguar

Today's SWD means to decrease.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast menguar, reducir, disminuir, y bajar.

Ejemplo time.

La cosecha de plátanos esta menguado esta temporada. = The banana harvest has decreased this season.
January 16th, 2014 at 3:12:02 PM permalink
Nareed
The assignment for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast menguar, reducir, disminuir, y bajar.

Well, menguar is used mostly in connection with the Moon's phases. The last phase before the New Moon is called Cuarto menguante. For the record the others are Cuarto creciente, Media Luna, Luna llena and Luna nueva.

BTW how many poeple know the Moon is just barely visible at night when it reflects zero light towards the Earth?
January 16th, 2014 at 4:08:40 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
My best advice is to read extensively, both fiction and non-fiction (and this includes news and articles), and to note when either por and para appear and how they are used. Also make a firm note that these two terms are not interchangeable.

Prepositions are somewhat arbitrary in most languages, but especially in English. Try to give a non-English speaker an explanation of why we use the following prepositions:

• something is under control,
  • something is in control
  • we are in the house
  • we are at home

One of the peculiarities of English is called preposition stranding:
  • Which house did you arrive at?
  • I wonder what they're laughing about.

So we shouldn't be surprised that the choice of preposition in Spanish is difficult.
January 16th, 2014 at 4:26:22 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Prepositions are somewhat arbitrary in most languages, but especially in English.

That's one reason among many why I no longer bother with formal rules of grammar. Also I've no patience for them. So long as I write in a way that people understand, which I claim one can do with just extensive practice, that's all I really need.
January 16th, 2014 at 4:51:09 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
Prepositions are somewhat arbitrary in most languages, but especially in English.

I think it is a mistake to emphasize such things as prepositions in teaching a language to beginners. It is very dry and boring learning such rules in Spanish and I'm sure English as well.
January 16th, 2014 at 7:23:37 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Russell Johnson -- (Nov. 10, 1924 – Ene. 16, 2014) -- DEP (Descansa en Paz)

From the New York Times: The Professor was a good-looking but nerdy academic, an exaggerated stereotype of the man of capacious intelligence with little or no social awareness. Occasionally approached romantically by Ginger (and guest stars, including Zsa Zsa Gabor), he remained chaste and unaffected.

Except for the "good-looking" part, no wonder I identify with him so much.

More on my Russell Johnson obituary at WoV.