Spanish Word of the Day

January 10th, 2014 at 8:25:42 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
Animal Farm.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

They translate the title into Rebelión en la granja.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 10th, 2014 at 10:40:33 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 11-1-14
Palabra: Arremeter

Today's SWD means at attack/assail/charge at.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast arremeter y atacar.

Ejemplo time.

Gilligan estuvo arremetido por conejos de nuevo. = Gilligan was attacked by rabbits again.
January 11th, 2014 at 4:21:10 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
How about if I do 200 over the course of the entire lunch to completely clear my debt? I'm sure I owe a lot more than 200. Maybe I can throw in a few Hail Marys or something. I can do only about 40 at a time so I'll need to space them apart?

1) post it at WoV and see what response you get

2) If you start praying, I'll add more push-ups >;)

Quote:
Today's SWD means to plot.

You found a $10 word.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 11th, 2014 at 5:16:14 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Try to guess the book it is from without searching.
Se decía tambien que last ratas, tan problemáticas durante el invierno, se habían confabulado con Bola de Nieve.

I remember a rat in Charlotte's Web, but I don't remember Snowball. Of course I haven't read it in over 40 years.

Note that the translator is using the pronomial or reflexive (3rd person plural)
Pluperfect II: habían confabulado
January 12th, 2014 at 4:28:19 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 12-1-14
Palabra: Delito

Today's SWD means crime/offense.

The assignment for the advanced readers is whether the "ito" at the end implies a small crime, or is it that suffix does not always imply something small? Also, how would you say a small crime in one word?

Ejemplo time.

El Sr. Howell esta ocultando su dinero por que hay una ola de delitos en la isla. = Mr. Howell is hiding his money because there is a crime wave on the island.

In other news, in the translation of Animal Farm, Snowball's name was translated to Bola de Nieve. That's fine with me. But if that is acceptable, why did I get chastised for translating the name Ginger to Jengibre?
January 12th, 2014 at 6:03:24 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The assignment for the advanced readers is whether the "ito" at the end implies a small crime, or is it that suffix does not always imply something small? Also, how would you say a small crime in one word?

The Latin phrase, in flagrante delicto which implied that a person who was actually caught "in the act" of doing the misdeed contains the ancestor of the Spanish word. The Spanish word "delito" comes from Latin word "delicto".

The dimunitive "-ito" suffix may be an accident this time, and not specifically a diminutive.

But in general,the word "crime" in English covers a range of illegal activities from misdemeanors to "capital crimes". In Spanish the word crimen is reserved for the most serious of crimes, usually rape and murder.

Crimen legally means ‘delito muy grave, consistente en matar o herir gravemente a alguien’ (very serious crime, consisting of killing or seriously injuring another).

The word "delicto" is related to English-delinquent and Spanish-delinquir.
January 12th, 2014 at 6:22:01 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The assignment for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast arremeter y atacar.

That question is above my ability. All of the following words are listed as synonyms

arremeter, atacar, asaltar, acometer, agredir, embestir, combatir, chocar,
arrojarse, precipitarse, abalanzarse, lanzarse, estrellarse
January 12th, 2014 at 6:27:13 PM permalink
Nareed
El Sr. Howell esta ocultando su dinero por que hay una ola de delitos en la isla. = Mr. Howell is hiding his money because there is a crime wave on the island.

At least he had a small pool of suspects.

Quote:
In other news, in the translation of Animal Farm, Snowball's name was translated to Bola de Nieve. That's fine with me. But if that is acceptable, why did I get chastised for translating the name Ginger to Jengibre?

Given names shouldn't be translated, except when they are largely unpronounceable. The names of places, however, have been translated for so long they've become entrenched. I had a long argument with a Spanish teacher about it. I claimed if one were to translate Shakespeare's given name, the ought to translate his fmaily anme as well, and few names would be more ridiculous than "Guillermo Agitalalanza."

As to your questions: 1) Snowball is an animal and not a person, even if that can be argued in the context of the book. More importantly 2) Jengibre means nothing other than the spice in Spanish. It isn't used as a name or even to denote a shade of red.
January 12th, 2014 at 6:28:21 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
In Spanish the word crimen is reserved for the most serious of crimes, usually rape and murder.

That may have been so in the past, but today both terms are used interchangeably.
January 12th, 2014 at 6:45:07 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
That may have been so in the past, but today both terms are used interchangeably.

Darn. My reference is less than 6 years old.

Court Interpreting: Linguistic Presence v. Linguistic Absence by Elena M. de Jongh

Dr. Elena M. de Jongh was born in Santiago de Cuba, Cuba.

Quote: Elena M. de Jongh

Common sources of misunderstanding in interpreted testimony include false cognates and tag questions. “False or partly false cognates” may be defined as words that appear similar or identical because they are derived from a common form but whose meanings in certain contexts are often completely different.

The words “crime” in English and “crimen” in Spanish are examples of false cognates with important implications in the context of criminal law. The words sound the same but mean different things. In Spanish, crimen refers to more “serious criminal transgressions, usually penalized by the death sentence or long prison terms.”22 Crimen means “delito muy grave, consistente en matar o herir gravemente a alguien” [very serious crime, consisting of killing or seriously injuring another],23 whereas in English “crime” refers to felonies and misdemeanors.24

Thus, “crime” in English is better translated as “delito,” meaning any violation of the law — from misdemeanor to murder. The word “criminal” in English should not be interpreted as “criminal” in Spanish, which means “murderer.”25

Other potential pitfalls for interpreters include tag questions or “interrogative fragments” added to a statement to elicit agreement or disagreement from the addressee. Tag questions in English require a negative answer to deny an accusation (e.g., “You took the money, didn’t you?” “No, I didn’t”), whereas in many other languages, including Spanish, tag questions can be answered either negatively or affirmatively with relatively no alteration in the meaning.26

22 Guillermo Cabanellas de las Cuevas & Eleanor C. Hoague, Butterworths Spanish/English Legal Dictionary 165 (1991).

23 María Moliner, Diccionario del uso del español 803 (1991).

24 Black’s Law Dictionary 370-372 (6th ed.1990).

25 See Marcial Prado, Spanish False Cognates (1993). The translator must always determine the context.

26 Colleen B. Brennan, Linguistics and the Law (Sept. 2001), available at www.csa.com/discoveryguides/linglaw/overview.php.