Spanish Word of the Day

January 13th, 2014 at 6:34:06 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Fecha: 13-1-14
Palabra: Sobornar

Today's SWD should be a useful one to know in Mexico. It means to bribe.

The word for a bribe, as a noun is soborno.

Ejemplo time.

Ginger le sobornó el juez por ganar el concurso de beleza. = Ginger bribed the judge to win the beauty contest.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 13th, 2014 at 6:43:17 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
Ginger le sobornó el juez por ganar el concurso de beleza. = Ginger bribed the judge to win the beauty contest.

No "le," "AL juez," and it's "para" not "por."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 13th, 2014 at 4:36:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The English word bribe (n.) late 14c., "thing stolen," from Old French bribe "bit, piece, hunk; morsel of bread given to beggars" (14c., cf. Old French bribeor "vagrant, beggar"). Shift of meaning to "gift given to influence corruptly" is by mid-15c.

The Latin word from sub (“under, beneath”) + ōrnō (“equip, dress”).
= I equip, I adorn, I provide, I furnish
= I incite secretly, I suborn, I instigate

You might think you should use "por" because there is an exchange, but the actual action of bribing is forward motion. So you use "para".
January 13th, 2014 at 4:36:49 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed
and it's "para" not "por."

I think I would have better results just flipping a coin between para and por.
January 13th, 2014 at 5:31:55 PM permalink
Nareed
I think I would have better results just flipping a coin between para and por.

It's better than the alternative.

The alternative being: "make a conscentious decision and then take the opposite word."
January 13th, 2014 at 7:12:17 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed
The alternative being: "make a conscentious decision and then take the opposite word."

That is what I did last time and got it wrong. I think I sabotaged myself by picking the one I thought was really wrong so I would end up on what I thought was right.

Fecha: 14-1-13
Palabra: Azotar

Today's SWD means whip/beat. The word for a whip (noun) is látigo.

Ejemplo time.

Si azotas el caballo, lo irá mas rapido. = If you whip the horse, then he will go faster.
January 14th, 2014 at 7:21:34 AM permalink
Nareed
That is what I did last time and got it wrong.

That's why I said not to use that method.

Ok. One time writing a story I used this sentence: "She fell asleep as soon as she felt the pillow behind her head." Of course the word I wanted was "beneath."

Quote:
Si azotas el caballo, lo irá mas rapido. = If you whip the horse, then he will go faster.

Loose the "lo."

BTW you keep coming up with old or odd words. I don't think anyone uses "azotar" for "whipping." But then the use of whipping is not as common either.
January 14th, 2014 at 8:00:38 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
That is what I did last time and got it wrong. I think I sabotaged myself by picking the one I thought was really wrong so I would end up on what I thought was right.

Por o Para drill (245 sentences). If you do all these sentences, I am sure it will be more natural.

Quote: E-mail solicition|scam
Te escribo este mail como recordatorio una vez más haber esperado pacientemente por su respuesta a mi primer contacto con usted a través de correo.

I write you this mail as a reminder once more having waited patiently for your response to my initial contact with you through snail mail.

Solicitations have been coming in Spanish lately, as it seems they get through the SPAM filters easier.

It does not seem that the Spanish and English say the same thing. How would you say "snail mail" in Spanish?
January 15th, 2014 at 11:14:01 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
Por o Para drill (245 sentences).

That lessons says to use "por" to express a reason and "para" to express a purpose. What is the difference between a reason and a purpose? Here are a couple of examples that it tested for:

El garage es para mis herramientas y mi coche.

Fue a la librería por cuadernos.

Both expressed a purpose/reason but I don't understand why one is "para" and one is "por."
January 15th, 2014 at 11:42:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
It does not seem that the Spanish and English say the same thing. How would you say "snail mail" in Spanish?

Slang rarely translates directly or literally. If a Mexican asks you ¿Que onda? and you trnalsate this as "what wave?" or "which wave?" you'll be hopelessly lost. If you understand he's saying "what up?" you'll be better off.

So, strictly speaking "Email" is "correo eléctronico" or even "e-correo," or "correo-e" But often it's now simply referred to as just "mail," as in "mándale la infomración por mail." Also as just "correo" sometimes. I finished a call not ten minutes ago which contained the prhase "estaba esa información en el correo que te mandé."

Snail mail has no direct slang equivalent. It can be translated as "correo postal," but I don't know if people bother with it.