Random Thought of the Day

October 4th, 2015 at 5:47:29 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
No.
Most life forms do not waste energy on needless slaughter or needless pain but they are quite capable of it particularly when frustrated.
Just as there is a wide range of human cruelty there is a wide range of protracted cruelty and death in the animal kingdom.

I already considered that. For instance, you really need intelligence for a N. Korean Prison system. Length/ time, no comparison. Without intelligence, you simply don't have the capability.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 4th, 2015 at 10:24:22 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
Humans are the only animal capable of extended cruelty and torture.

Clearly you've never owned a cat.

Dolphins often will toss about large fish they can't even eat.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 4th, 2015 at 10:43:40 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Nareed

Dolphins often will toss about large fish they can't even eat.

I guess I'm not being clear. I never said cruelty doesn't exist between animals.

A monkey might kill a human, but he won't build death camps and extend it into generations of torture and murder.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 4th, 2015 at 10:44:57 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Or raptors, but to them, killing is "just business".

It is pretty cruel what felines will do to a sofa.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 4th, 2015 at 11:10:14 AM permalink
Nareed
A monkey might kill a human, but he won't build death camps and extend it into generations of torture and murder.

So? A bird might chirp, but it will never write a symphony. A monkey might care about an injured monkey, but it will never develop medicine or build hospitals. It takes nasty, brute humans to do such things.
October 4th, 2015 at 12:01:29 PM permalink
rxwine
So? A bird might chirp, but it will never write a symphony. A monkey might care about an injured monkey, but it will never develop medicine or build hospitals. It takes nasty, brute humans to do such things.

But humans misuse their intelligence much of time as well to cause destruction and other ills in society. This is why I say intelligence does not really make us superior to animals, and it is hubris to think so just because we can also do great things.
October 5th, 2015 at 7:11:24 AM permalink
Nareed
But humans misuse their intelligence much of time as well to cause destruction and other ills in society. This is why I say intelligence does not really make us superior to animals, and it is hubris to think so just because we can also do great things.

You think we'd be better off if we gave up using our intellect?
October 5th, 2015 at 12:52:45 PM permalink
Nareed
I'd like apps like Waze and Google Maps better if they could tell you the route ahead of time. Oh, I know you can see the route on the map, but with an iphone 4's small screen, it doesn't tell you much without detailed close ups.

I'm thinking something like the voice saying "take Bosques via the tunnel and then turn to Aguilas vie Rey in order to take Leones to Lomas Hipodromo." That way I'd know which turns to ignore when they get too ridiculous, or to take another route entirely in some cases.

See, Waze in particular has no problem taking you miles out of your way in order to avoid a minute or two worth of traffic delays. Usually this is just not worth it, simply as regards distractions from my audiobook en route.
October 5th, 2015 at 9:21:14 PM permalink
rxwine
You think we'd be better off if we gave up using our intellect?

I can't answer that. But rather than celebrate our intellectual superiority over everything though, it's probably good to note if our intellectual results ends up with an out of control *nuclear strike scenario, I would say that is a bad result. If we end up with out of control AI too smart to control, and become the next extinct species or perhaps worse, that would also be a bad result. You can't say you were so smart with some bad self-induced endings through intellectual pursuit.

*I have wondered if we can really make limited nuclear strikes. With a few missiles in the air, it might get pretty dicey, whether more are launched.
October 6th, 2015 at 7:59:14 AM permalink
Nareed
The Catholic passion for, and excellence in, scholarship has been widely exaggerated.