Random Thought of the Day

September 10th, 2015 at 6:59:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
How do you like it?

I think I will try it for a few days first, before I say.

I'm having to re-sign in all my passwords which is annoying.

I have to try some other thing out first.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 15th, 2015 at 10:55:07 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Signs and Portents.

Over the past few weeks:

Google changed its logo
The Eagles made a smart move (cutting Tebow)
The Cowboys won their season opener

Can the Apocalypse be far behind?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 15th, 2015 at 2:31:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Nareed
How do you like it?

So, I had someone from Microsoft working on my computer by remote access on and off over 2 hours yesterday. I'd been having an audio problem since I updated to windows 10.

At least I got my money's worth. It was free.

It's weird watching someone work on your computer like that -- like ghost in the machine.

Anyway, 10 seems to be a little faster. While the browser works fine, I hate that there is so much minimalism of design you have to hunt for any extra functionality. I just like a goldern bar across the top with, file, edit, and not wondering where they put stuff.

I mean if it was up to me, just put every function out in the open on toolbars to start with and give me the option to hide them -- not the other way around.

Anyway, I was fine with Win 7, and I already understood how it worked. So, to me, until I find something really new and useful, it's all just "window dressing" I don't care about much anyway.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 18th, 2015 at 1:42:03 PM permalink
Nareed
If your posts about religion do not irritate Christians, you're doing something wrong.
September 21st, 2015 at 1:08:32 AM permalink
rxwine
I'm sometimes surprised to hear when someone dies from falling off a ladder. Maybe not so much this rig.

September 21st, 2015 at 4:14:37 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
I'm sometimes surprised to hear when someone dies from falling off a ladder.

Wow, what a nut!

I'm always reluctant to admit this but, I had my eyes opened once about what a ladder can do. A little 6 foot step ladder, I couldnt get good footing but I only had to be up there a few seconds to do something minor on a high but OK-to-be-on step. I was able to hold on to a gutter downspout too. I figured if the ladder started to have problems it would kind of teeter and I'd just jump to the ground.

I did my little task and came down a couple of steps but for some reason let go of the downspout. I don't know what happened next, but I wound up flat on my back, not hurt but astounded. It's as if the ladder instantly morphed into a black-belt judo master and just flung me into the ground.

I've had profound respect for ladders ever since.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 21st, 2015 at 1:03:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Does anyone on this site resemble William Demarest? (all different age pics at link)

here
September 22nd, 2015 at 7:14:44 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
It's an obscure movie, not everyone has heard of it. If I want to buy Star Wars: A New Hope on Blu-Ray from WalMart, I can buy it here.

But suppose I don't want it on Blu-Ray? Suppose I only want it on DVD? WalMart will sell it to me, but the movie will not be in English. (Or Spanish. Or French, German, Portuguese, Japanese, etc.)

WalMart only carries the Navajo version.
September 22nd, 2015 at 1:09:20 PM permalink
Nareed
Think of how many life's problems would be simpler, or would go away, if people would only stop demanding contradictory objectives such as:

Lower air fares and more flight options, but also free bags, more room and no flight delays

Lower taxes and more subsidies/middle-class welfare (incl. employer-provided welfare like medical insurance)

With immigration the particulars cannot be stated as succinctly. But the fact is no country could manage a population of illegal immigrants numbered in the millions, unless there was a howling demand for their services, and those services benefitted the overall national economy.

Likewise with drugs and crime. People don't want violent crime, which is perfectly rational, but they also want a war on drugs, which fosters a lot of violent crime (not to mention mass incarceration). There is a lot government and society can do to combat drug use, but making drugs illegal in all cases and criminalizing all aspects of their use, is not as helpful as it would seem to be, and draws criminal elements because it drives prices up.

Which brings me to the last item: Simple answers to complex issues.
September 24th, 2015 at 5:57:16 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I want more roundabouts.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan