Random Thought of the Day

September 24th, 2015 at 6:17:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Not sure I buy all this, but the important thing is to flap your arms about to music, I guess.

Quote:
Did you know orchestra conductors live longer than nearly any other group of people?

It's true. Many of the famous conductors of the past lived well into their 80s and 90s - Leopold Stokowski, 95, Pablo Casals, 96, Nadia Boulanger, 90, and Arturo Toscanini, 89, to name a few. And they were from a time when the average life expectancy was around 50 years old. There are two main reasons why.

1. Conductors flap their arms around for many hours a day. Upper body exercises are a great cardio-vascular workout because they expand the muscles of the chest and open the lungs. Plus, the movements cause your heart to pump strongly, so blood and nutrients flow to your muscles and organs.

The result - conductors have low blood pressure. Their minds are sharpened because they get more blood circulation to their brains.

2. But there's one more vital ingredient that explains why conductors enjoy longer and healthier lives. Think about it. Why are they flapping their arms? What's being generated as a result? A cascade of gorgeous orchestral music. Beautifully arching melodies with superior rejuvenating powers. Intricate harmonies that create new brain cells and higher IQs. Alpha-state inducing rhythms that calm and sustain inner peace.

Day after day conductors repeat this life-enhancing exercise.

Take for example, Leopold Stokowski (1882-1977) who made his official conducting debut in 1909. He appeared in public for the last time in 1975 but continued making recordings until June 1977, a few months before his death at the age of 95.

Or, famed conductor Blanche Honnegger Moyse, born in 1909, who died in February of this year at the age of 102. After 40 years as a violinist, she was forced to retire due to a bow-arm ailment and so began conducting. Moyse made her Carnegie Hall debut 20 years later at age 78 and continued to conduct well into her 90's.

These men and women didn't necessarily follow the best diets or live simple, stress-free lives, often jetting around the world to share their talents. What they did was lots of upper body exercise coupled with a huge daily dose of positively-charged music, all of which packs a powerful double punch of mental, physical and spiritual health.

Attending live concerts, especially with the greatest orchestras and conductors, will give you a dose of this musical elixir. Music is a trigger. For greatness, for inner peace, for motivation and for joy. Don't neglect its supreme power to change you.

https://www.rethinkingcancer.org/resources/articles/why-do-music-conductors-live-so-long.php
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 25th, 2015 at 6:14:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
Not sure I buy all this, but the important thing is to flap your arms about to music, I guess.

Anecdotal evidence is highly suspect because it tends to be cherry-picked, or conform to confirmation bias. If you were to look at any profession, including some risky ones like firefighting, you'll find some people in them who lived very long lives as well.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 28th, 2015 at 1:25:55 PM permalink
rxwine
I'm not sure what the program was I was watching, but apparently our best tunnel detection device only goes 10 ft below the surface. Not enough to detect tunnels used by narcos.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 28th, 2015 at 2:19:54 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
remote sensing is more difficult, what is needed is "thumpers" : machines that bang on the ground and provide lots of squiggly lines to detect cavities and discontinuities. Most of the tunnels have deep entry shafts now, electric lighting, wheeled carts, rudimentary ventilation systems and supportive beams.
September 28th, 2015 at 2:27:17 PM permalink
Nareed
There are no strangers, only enemies who haven't stabbed you in the back yet.
September 28th, 2015 at 5:17:16 PM permalink
Nareed
Sometimes I get an email or FB message from a distant acquaintance which makes me want to reply "No offense, but are you a masochist?" or something like "Seriously, do you have a pathological need to get hurt?"

Often I'll write a reply but not send it. But I wonder, is the other person too optimistic, or have I not made my position clear?
October 1st, 2015 at 1:52:21 PM permalink
Nareed
To a devout Christian, no atheist can ever do right.
October 2nd, 2015 at 3:44:26 PM permalink
Nareed
When people justify something by quoting the Bible, I often feel like asking they check Hammurabi's Code for a second opinion.
October 4th, 2015 at 12:50:53 AM permalink
rxwine
Sooner or later if I have the TV on late at night, one of those "save animals from abuse" spots come on. Looking at sad animals, neglected or tortured, I suddenly realized what was the trade-off when humans evolved advance intelligence.

Humans are the only animal capable of extended cruelty and torture. Sure other animals do inflict pain and even kill each other, but it takes intelligence, to take it to such lengths as sociopaths are capable of. We humans can lock anyone or any creature in private torture chambers for years.

Supposedly to some we our special, set above the beasts. But I think not. Evolution does not give animals capabilities without trade-offs. Good wings, weak legs. Good swimming features, near helpless on land.

What was it when we got to think therefore I am? I think that is part of it. We didn't get set above the animals as special. That's just hubris.

Of course, I don't think Evolutionary theory puts humans above other animals either, though you don't hear much discussion about that. Under the right conditions, we might need more of ancient features. Other animals have supposedly left the sea, adapted to land and gone back to sea.
October 4th, 2015 at 5:14:52 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: rxwine
Humans are the only animal capable of extended cruelty and torture.
No.
Most life forms do not waste energy on needless slaughter or needless pain but they are quite capable of it particularly when frustrated.
Just as there is a wide range of human cruelty there is a wide range of protracted cruelty and death in the animal kingdom.