In the News II

November 7th, 2023 at 9:18:21 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: missedhervee
I believe it would be actionable as a "tort of outrage."

WPI 14.03 Tort of Outrage. A person who intentionally or recklessly causes emotional distress to another by extreme and outrageous conduct is liable for severe emotional distress [and any bodily harm] resulting from such conduct.

That would cause, or be likely to cause, a reasonable person to exclaim, "This is outrageous!"

I forget where I first read that, but found that description endlessly hilarious.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 7th, 2023 at 4:26:57 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
DEMS
IN
DISARRAY

Quote:
I've seen enough: Andy Beshear (D) wins reelection in #KYGOV, defeating Daniel Cameron (R).

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 7th, 2023 at 5:48:03 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Can’t lie:

REALLY enjoying seeing some righties melt down over tonight’s election results over on Twitter.

Catturd has gone to bed after repeatedly shouting that the Dems have cheated once again. (lol)
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 8th, 2023 at 3:36:17 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: ams288
Can’t lie:

REALLY enjoying seeing some righties melt down over tonight’s election results over on Twitter.

Catturd has gone to bed after repeatedly shouting that the Dems have cheated once again. (lol)

The elections pretty much turned out the way I thought they would. Abortion being on the ballot is going to hurt Republicans just about every time. Putting it for the States to decide was going to lead to more attention to elections by abortion supporters. I still think the decision was correct and that too many Republicans are unwilling to compromise on the issue. Standing up for what you believe in does have costs...this has a cost in election results.

The second part is that the shadow of Trump is long. It covers the party (and they allow it to do so, to be sure) and the party has consistently underperformed since 2018. I keep hearing about policies that worked--and a lot did--but it is not just the policy, it is the personality flaws that are so evident when people vote in private.

The "election cheating" thing didn't start with Trump. It was taken to a different level, but people did claim cheating well before that.

Until Trump is out of the picture, I don't expect election results to be much different. He may do well as an individual against Biden, but the results in the other races will not be favorable even if that happens. Especially if he has a hand in candidate selection.
November 8th, 2023 at 4:58:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: RonC
The elections pretty much turned out the way I thought they would. Abortion being on the ballot is going to hurt Republicans just about every time. Putting it for the States to decide was going to lead to more attention to elections by abortion supporters. I still think the decision was correct and that too many Republicans are unwilling to compromise on the issue. Standing up for what you believe in does have costs...this has a cost in election results.

The second part is that the shadow of Trump is long. It covers the party (and they allow it to do so, to be sure) and the party has consistently underperformed since 2018. I keep hearing about policies that worked--and a lot did--but it is not just the policy, it is the personality flaws that are so evident when people vote in private.

The "election cheating" thing didn't start with Trump. It was taken to a different level, but people did claim cheating well before that.

Until Trump is out of the picture, I don't expect election results to be much different. He may do well as an individual against Biden, but the results in the other races will not be favorable even if that happens. Especially if he has a hand in candidate selection.

I really don’t buy the Trump shadow thing. The gop can’t get it thru their heads that they have two opponents being the Democrats and the mainstream media. Until they do like 1994 Contract with America meaning getting big ideas out there they will keep getting the same results. They also do not get that those of us in the Trump camp are tired of them not defending their principles. Tired of them not going on offense. Tons of winning issues but they think it is all some kind of gentlemen country club.

IMHO the gop electorate is going to start to mirror the black electorate. They won’t vote Democrat but if they do t like what’s being said they will stay home.

In any case it is a pathetic excuse of a human being that wraps their lives around it all.
The President is a fink.
November 8th, 2023 at 3:02:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
26 members of Congress failed to abide stock reporting law. Dems and Reps.

Quote:
In a recent interview with Raw Story, one of the STOCK Act’s original authors, former Rep. Brian Baird (D-WA), blasted Congress for its continued excuses for failing to abide by the law.

“I mean, come on. ‘The dog ate my homework,’ aren’t we a little more grown up than that?” Baird said. “If we're capable of voting on whether or not to raise or lower taxes or send people to war, I think we can report when we make an investment.”

[
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 8th, 2023 at 3:54:57 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: AZDuffman
I really don’t buy the Trump shadow thing. The gop can’t get it thru their heads that they have two opponents being the Democrats and the mainstream media. Until they do like 1994 Contract with America meaning getting big ideas out there they will keep getting the same results. They also do not get that those of us in the Trump camp are tired of them not defending their principles. Tired of them not going on offense. Tons of winning issues but they think it is all some kind of gentlemen country club.

IMHO the gop electorate is going to start to mirror the black electorate. They won’t vote Democrat but if they do t like what’s being said they will stay home.

In any case it is a pathetic excuse of a human being that wraps their lives around it all.

I'm completely okay with GOP voters choosing to stay home and not vote for every election from now until Doomsday.
November 9th, 2023 at 3:25:45 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8

I am not sure why you don't get it. Does consistently losing winnable elections just happen? Trump supported crappy candidates in races in 2022 (Oz, for one, he got beat by a guy in mid stroke) and the "Red Wave" became a slight change in the tide. They needed more seats in the House and the win in the Senate. Instead, they got a slight advantage in the House, which they don't use very well.

People can like/love/support, or tolerate, Trump but I don't think his endorsements are helping as much down the line. I don't think anyone wants 500 mini-Trumps.

Abortion is an issue. If you take a hard stand on it, you have to live or die on that hill. Dying seems to be winning.

I know some on here want all possible progressive items to prevail, but we are not that kind of a country. Nor are we far right. The middle is where the job gets done.
November 9th, 2023 at 4:16:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: RonC
I am not sure why you don't get it. Does consistently losing winnable elections just happen? Trump supported crappy candidates in races in 2022 (Oz, for one, he got beat by a guy in mid stroke) and the "Red Wave" became a slight change in the tide. They needed more seats in the House and the win in the Senate. Instead, they got a slight advantage in the House, which they don't use very well.

Because I do not believe endorsements count for much of anything. Most overhyped thing in politics perhaps. They might count for getting money from the power class. But does Joe Sixpack really care who endorsed who?

By "winnable" candidate I am thinking you mean "establishment candidate" or someone who just has the R there and hope against hope that the other party screws up. That is not how you win. You win by pointing out a vote for the D is a vote to not be allowed to buy a gas stove. A vote to mandate your next car be an EV. A vote that your daughter has to get undressed with boys who say they are really girls.

Seriously, if the GOP cannot point this simple stuff out then they deserve to lose. But when they get a candidate who produces energy among the voters by pointing it all out the establishment tries to quash that candidate.
The President is a fink.
November 9th, 2023 at 4:32:31 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Because I do not believe endorsements count for much of anything. Most overhyped thing in politics perhaps. They might count for getting money from the power class. But does Joe Sixpack really care who endorsed who?

By "winnable" candidate I am thinking you mean "establishment candidate" or someone who just has the R there and hope against hope that the other party screws up. That is not how you win. You win by pointing out a vote for the D is a vote to not be allowed to buy a gas stove. A vote to mandate your next car be an EV. A vote that your daughter has to get undressed with boys who say they are really girls.

Seriously, if the GOP cannot point this simple stuff out then they deserve to lose. But when they get a candidate who produces energy among the voters by pointing it all out the establishment tries to quash that candidate.

Once endorsed by Trump, the person is a MAGA candidate. Then most lose.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?