2 votes (50%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (25%)

4 members have voted

November 14th, 2023 at 8:15:14 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: SOOPOO
Agree with you (Gandler) that the Democrat party is growing and the Republican party is shrinking. Illegals children are coming of age, and they are legal, and Democrat. People who are afraid their ‘benefits’ (Medicaid, food stamps, welfare, free cell phones) are increasing in number, and they ain’t Republican! But RIGHT NOW the Republicans will be adding more to their vote totals due to the ‘middle’ eschewing Democrat open borders, higher taxes, inflation, no bail, reparations, etc…. Those override Abortion. If the Dems just get better on a few of their weaknesses they have a pretty big head start.

Come on man, you are too intelligent and educated for this. When DNC grows in popularity by massive leaps it is because of illegal immigrants and pesky kids. When GOP grows slightly in very isolated cyclical elections it is because they are owning the libs? Come on man.....

I do not doubt GOP will be adding more to total (raw) votes in the next election. But, so will the DNC. The population and eligible voters in growing, this is a safe assumption in almost every cycle (yes there are isolated exceptions, but over the course of time this is a safe assumption.)

I do not disagree that Dems can massively improve. And, on two of those issues in particular (crime and borders) I agree, many people are upset at certain Dems (I would not say average "middle" dems, because this is not the case.) For example every GOP member (okay, you can give three examples that do not) in office supports abortion restrictions or bans. Whereas most Dem issues it is more mixed. The DNC is more about academic diversity and challenging ideas, than everyone chanting the same mantra. Sure you can find a Dem that supports open borders, no jails, no police, and reparations, and you can find 99% who do not. Most are somewhere in the middle on most of those issues. The problem is there is such diversity of thought, sure you can find an example of a DNC member saying, insert whatever nonsense you want, this does not make it the party platform (or even that many let alone most support it.)
November 15th, 2023 at 4:41:14 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
We’ve reached the ‘agree to disagree’ point. I DO believe that for THIS cycle the Republicans ‘own the libs’ on many issues. It’s what gave us a Republican house. Agree with you it is very unlikely to last long. The fact that an abject loser like Trump is actually leading in the polls is proof enough….
November 16th, 2023 at 3:03:25 PM permalink
Gandler
We’ve reached the ‘agree to disagree’ point. I DO believe that for THIS cycle the Republicans ‘own the libs’ on many issues. It’s what gave us a Republican house. Agree with you it is very unlikely to last long. The fact that an abject loser like Trump is actually leading in the polls is proof enough….

I do not agree, I have not gone through 100% of local elections for 2023 yet, but it seems like a massive Democrat win in many regions (even West Virginia.) At, least on issues that are statewide (not going through every random position like County Agricultural Commissioner....) And, several significant social state referendum that won for the proper side.
November 16th, 2023 at 3:21:33 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: Gandler
I do not agree, I have not gone through 100% of local elections for 2023 yet, but it seems like a massive Democrat win in many regions (even West Virginia.) At, least on issues that are statewide (not going through every random position like County Agricultural Commissioner....) And, several significant social state referendum that won for the proper side.

Yowza! When one says for ‘the proper side’ do you think that person will be seen as an objective arbiter of the situation? Of course you are not. But feel free to keep typing.
November 16th, 2023 at 3:33:57 PM permalink
Gandler
Yowza! When one says for ‘the proper side’ do you think that person will be seen as an objective arbiter of the situation? Of course you are not. But feel free to keep typing.

For the issues I refer there is a proper side (the right to an abortion at a state level.) However, everyone views their side as the proper side (at least hopefully, because if you do not believe in the side you fight for that means you inherently are siding with somebody for a corrupt reason -which is debatably worse for personal ethics than truly believing in a damaging cause, I guess that gets into a philosophical debate thought.....- .)

I am pretty open that I support abortion, so it should not be shocking that I view state laws defending access to abortion (in traditional red areas) as a win for the proper side of the issue. The fact that this happens in areas that should be easy wins for the GOP goes back to us saying that more people care about this issue than you may believe (in some cases more than I may have believed -but I am fortunate that this is an issue I have never needed to be involved with personally-)

I do not claim to be the objective arbiter of abortion laws. However, whatever you think of my views, somebody who is very much not an objective arbiter is somebody who is blindly basing their stance on a 2-3000 year old book (or more accurately their interpretation of it.)

In any case, you can't just accept election upsets when it shows people like the GOP and ignore election upsets when it shows most Americans want abortion legal (to varying extents, but almost everyone wants it somewhat legal.) (Especially when this election is much more of an upset than a cyclical districted election.)
December 4th, 2023 at 8:04:27 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
The right is still clueless about how to approach their abortion problem.

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 4th, 2023 at 8:07:04 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
It seems that freely admitting more people of working age into the country would be a more expedient remedy, if this problem even exists.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 4th, 2023 at 9:12:00 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
MTG is a perfect example of why we need abortion. Who would plan her on purpose? Probably came out through the colon.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 5th, 2023 at 12:36:25 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: ams288
The right is still clueless about how to approach their abortion problem.

And ask her where these 63 million extra people would be living?

To me, the ONLY argument that an anti-abortion advocate can use is that the embryos/fetuses are already human beings and should have the same rights as already born human beings. You and I can disagree with that, but it at least is an argument which can be consistent. When they start getting into population size, societal needs, etc…. they lose the argument before the debate begins.

Now that Santos is gone MTG has taken over the Republican mantle of ‘the weakest link’.
December 5th, 2023 at 1:31:00 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Now that Santos is gone MTG has taken over the Republican mantle of ‘the weakest link’.

Where do Boebert and Gaetz fit in?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman