2 votes (50%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (25%)

4 members have voted

November 10th, 2023 at 5:02:52 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Tanko
That is the extreme view, and very few people support that.

Most Recent Harvard/Harris Poll:

'73% of Americans oppose abortion after fifteen weeks'

"10% Support Democrat Position of Abortion on Demand up to Birth"

72% of Republicans support National protections at no later than 15 weeks

Includes 75% of women, compared to 69% of men.
Includes 70% of Independents and 60% of Democrats

Only five nations do not have a federal ban on gestational limits, and allow abortions up to to birth. China, North Korea, Vietnam, Canada and the US.

Yes, very few people support it, but many Republicans do, that is the issue (for the GOP.)
November 10th, 2023 at 5:34:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If the Senate doesn't retain a Democratic majority and Trump regains the presidency no telling what the republicans will do next on this issue. And the Supreme Court will do nothing positive either.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 10th, 2023 at 5:39:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
We've already one idiot Judge in Texas trying to block the Plan b options. And states trying to create citizen lawsuits for crossing state lines. Still doing everything they can to bring back the alley and use for metal coat hangers.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 10th, 2023 at 6:21:32 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Gandler
Yes, very few people support it, but many Republicans do, that is the issue (for the GOP.)

What percent of Republicans support blocking all surgical and pharmaceutical options?

According to the poll, 72% of Republicans support a 15 week ban. The same as the majority of Americans and slightly more than Independents.
November 10th, 2023 at 6:29:25 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
What percent of Republicans support blocking all surgical and pharmaceutical options?

According to the poll, 72% of Republicans support a 15 week ban. The same as the majority of Americans and slightly more than Independents.

The gaslighting is getting out of control.

How many GOP-led red states that have implemented a 15 week abortion ban, and not something far more extreme?

I seem to remember a 10 year old rape victim being forced to flee Ohio to terminate her rapist’s spawn.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 10th, 2023 at 7:30:36 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

Not many. You seem to be confusing the numbers of average Republicans compared to the numbers of GOP political officials. Look at the red states that are limiting abortion to 6-8 weeks (and some plans for even more restrictions.) The idea that the GOP (as a policy position) is firmly locked in at 15 weeks is not true. There are some plans to make literally 100% of abortions legal....

The GOP revolves around abortion, it is quite literally the GOP. Even Trump knows this, and even today he is making unhinged rants (well I guess unhinged rants are the norm for Trump) about killing babies (despite historically not commenting much on it.) Though to be somewhat fair to him, some of his opposition has been much worse when it comes to abortion rights. Though from a strategy position, if Trump ties to abortion going forward, I think that will be good for the left.
November 11th, 2023 at 3:31:54 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: ams288
Seems like RonC has realized that the longer the right focuses on abortion, the longer they’re going to imperil their chances at winning elections.

It is the same as the blindness to the results of elections after 2016. Some nice wins but underperformances around the country. Counting on the coattails that aren't there for many Trump-supported candidates, the poor leadership of the party, and doubling down on abortion are not the way to win elections.

Quote: ams288
Whereas Tanko is pretending the right’s position on abortion isn’t actually their position. The gaslighting clearly didn’t work in Ohio. And it isn’t going to work anytime in the immediate future.

The national polls on the issue tend to reflect the positions of the actual voters. The problem comes in when those voters don't have choices on their side who are in line with them and are electable. They'll pull the lever (how antiquated that sounds now...) for the offering of their party that comes the closest to where they stand.

The complete bans are more a work of politicians than of the people. Kind of like "abortion at any point for any reason"...but that is not as prevalent of an issue right now compared to proposed bans that exceed what polls show as popular.

Any party that refuses to see what the people they want to represent want overall too long will lose elections consistently.
November 11th, 2023 at 4:28:11 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Gandler
I think that will be good for the left.

It is. The Republican Party will be finished off permanently in 2024 because of the abortion issue. No matter what may be happening with the economy.

That still does not justify ripping apart a fetus that can feel pain. Especially when the fetus is viable.
November 11th, 2023 at 5:27:50 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
My simplistic thought is that even if you let the baby come to term, it will die eventually so the result is the same. That is why I believe life has very little value.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 11th, 2023 at 6:55:12 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: DRich
My simplistic thought is that even if you let the baby come to term, it will die eventually so the result is the same. That is why I believe life has very little value.

As long as you fully understand that virtually no one agrees with you, feel free to believe as you do. Since you are going to die, why do you care so much about the ambient temperature?