License plate collecting with the Wizard

January 12th, 2018 at 1:38:42 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Evenbob
"Roosevelt’s PA phaeton was probably one of the first cars to carry a personalized license plate. Gov. Eugene Talmadge of Georgia issued an order that the President be issued license plates bearing the letter “R.”

I read this to mean the plate had just
a big letter "R" in the middle, which
was not uncommon in an early personalized
plate. No numbers, just the R. The plate
that's up for sale is from a later year
and there could have been several personalized
plates over the years. They were dated and
had to be bought new every year, not like
now when a plate lasts the life of the car.

Yeah, that was my first interpretation of that paragraph, too, that the eBay plate might be bogus somehow, but perhaps that's how they interpreted it, and didn't issue the same plate numbers every year, so it wasn't necessarily contradictory.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 12th, 2018 at 6:38:08 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I sent the seller a message yesterday asking about any written documents to back up the story. Here the is the reply, which will address some of the questions posed since my last post.

Quote: robertgilbert47
Dear Sir: Thank you for your question to which I reply. I am guessing that you are a ALPCA member as much as I am and I am telling you the truth like I would tell any and everyone who is requesting information about this plate. Let me first state that this is the rear plate issued to the president to go on his roadster throughout 1941. The front plate says FDR (center with peach decals on both sides of the FDR). If you are a ALPCA member, go into the Georgia archives and you will see the FDR plate that I just mentioned. You will also see photos of earlier FDR plates from the late 1930's. Now, to address your question. These plates were acquired from James Hogg. James' father was Robert Hogg, Administrative Director of the polio school in Warm Springs, Georgia. President Roosevelt went to this school to relax because of his polio situation, thus they called it The Little White House. Roosevelt's roadster was taken care of by Mr. Fred Botts, also a polio patient. The Little White House museum has a photo within their files of Roosevelt sitting next to Mr. Botts. At the end of 1941, Mr. Botts removed the plates and gave them to Robert Hogg. Shortly there after Mr. Hogg left Warm Springs to join the Air Force, to which he retired from in later years. Mr. Hogg died in 1989 and passed the plates onto his son, James. I acquired the plates from James at Christmas, 2005. I have all of the communication and notes from James during and after acquiring these plates. The museum in Warm Springs does know about these plates and also has information about Robert Hogg and Fred Botts. I can fully guarantee that these plates belonged to the president throughout 1941. As stated, there are other FDR plates issued in the 1930's that were on his roadster, but nothing compares to this front and rear 1941 set with the peach decals. Please note that there are only two truthful people who can tell you what I've just stated above and they are James Hogg and me. Kindly respond and thanks. Bob

ALPCA, by the way, is the license plate club I belong to. I am the creator of their original web site.

EB, if you're seriously interested, let's not bid against each other. We can discuss via PM.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 12th, 2018 at 11:06:35 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard

EB, if you're seriously interested, let's not bid against each other. We can discuss via PM.

So you think it's real? The US1 part
bothers me, why is it on a vanity
plate. US1 in the name of a highway
in some states.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2018 at 2:12:07 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
So you think it's real? The US1 part
bothers me, why is it on a vanity
plate. US1 in the name of a highway
in some states.

I have pretty much the same information you do. However, here is a little more from the ALPCA archive, which he suggested I check. This would be all known license plates for FDR's vehicles in Georgia, which was his home away from home while president.

I've never seen a case where a car officially had different license plates in front and back. However, he was the president and there are all kinds of special plates for politicians and diplomats.
January 12th, 2018 at 2:49:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
I've never seen a case where a car officially had different license plates in front and back. However, he was the president and there are all kinds of special plates for politicians and diplomats.

It's so odd, what does US1 even mean.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2018 at 5:29:01 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
It's so odd, what does US1 even mean.

I'm guessing, obviously, but if Gov and lt Gov were GEORGIA 1 and 2, then FDR would be USA 1. It would fit their egos. But they only had room for 6 characters, same as other '41 plates I've seen. So FDR(○)US1 seems a good compromise, and is symmetrical around the peach.

Top of my head, Wizard, but he HAS THE SET in that picture. I'd offer him like 7500 for both. Can't be separated.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 12th, 2018 at 5:39:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: beachbumbabs

Top of my head, Wizard, but he HAS THE SET in that picture. I'd offer him like 7500 for both. Can't be separated.

How many '41 FDR US1 plates are there
if he has a set and there's one on Ebay.
January 12th, 2018 at 5:40:37 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
That's him, that Bob Gilbert in the photo caption, that Mike is corresponding with.
January 12th, 2018 at 7:23:01 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I truly believe the seller is completely truthful. Unfortunately, once he sells the plates there will be one more degree of separation between the owner and FDR, which will diminish the value. If I bought it, I'm not sure if anyone would buy my story. I don't think I could sell a $100 bill for $1.
January 12th, 2018 at 8:23:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
If I bought it, I'm not sure if anyone would buy my story. I don't think I could sell a $100 bill for $1.

That's why you copy the auction and
correspondence from the seller and
when you sell it that's YOUR provenance.
Along with any other of the stuff we
found out. What will convince the next
buyer is the same info that convinced
you it was real. I have Hemingway
material I bought on Ebay in 2000 and
the info the seller provided is the
provenance I'll use if I ever sell it.