License plate collecting with the Wizard

January 13th, 2018 at 10:56:53 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I'm not loving him breaking up the set. Either. Any chance you've discussed that with him since he directed you to the archives and made it clear he has them both?
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 14th, 2018 at 7:39:54 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: beachbumbabs
I'm not loving him breaking up the set. Either. Any chance you've discussed that with him since he directed you to the archives and made it clear he has them both?

It never came up. He sent a second message I haven't responded to yet. Perhaps I'll respond by asking.

I too fear he is just fishing for a value without an intention to sell.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 14th, 2018 at 7:41:54 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Here is his second message to me. I masked out his ALPCA number in the interests of privacy.

Quote: robertgilbert47
Hello Michael,

Thank you for your response to my lengthy information about this/these FDR plates. I am ALPCA member **** and have been a member since joining in 1974. These political plates are one of the rarest to find. I have shown this pair at many Illinois and Indiana plate meets and have won many awards. Besides collecting political plates, I specialize in the World War II fiberboard plates issued from 1942 - 1948. Illinois lead the way with the most, but there was also 7 other states, Alaska and Quebec that issued at least one year of fiberboard's. I still suggest to you and everyone to visit the Georgia archives within the ALPCA site to see the FDR plates. Should you have any other questions, I will be more than happy to answer. Thank you again.

Bob
January 14th, 2018 at 10:41:56 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
Here is his second message to me. I masked out his ALPCA number in the interests of privacy.

Never a mention of why he's
selling a plate that is a
cornerstone of his collection,
that has won awards. More
and more suspicious. He's in
his late 60's, at least, and probably
doesn't need the money. Ask
him why he's selling, it's a common
and logical question we ask any
seller.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 14th, 2018 at 2:37:01 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Never a mention of why he's
selling a plate that is a
cornerstone of his collection,
that has won awards. More
and more suspicious. He's in
his late 60's, at least, and probably
doesn't need the money. Ask
him why he's selling, it's a common
and logical question we ask any
seller.

I asked him this morning why he's breaking up the pair. Hopefully that will answer why he's selling just one of them.
January 17th, 2018 at 8:35:16 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I asked him this morning why he's breaking up the pair. Hopefully that will answer why he's selling just one of them.

To that question he said his wife is a smoker and he needs the money for medical bills. I know it doesn't answer the question of why not sell both of them if he needs money but I don't want to belabor the point.

In other license plate news, somebody at WoV noticed one of my California runs at a a local DMV: THE MICHAEL SHACKLEFORD?!.
January 17th, 2018 at 8:45:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's got 20 bidders, lots of interest. That's
an tried and true reason to sell and 8 out
of 10 times it's a lie. You part with your
collection from the bottom up, not the
top down, even when you need money.
And a few grand for a plate won't cover
many medical bills, is it really worth
gutting your collection over? I wouldn't
and neither would anybody else.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 18th, 2018 at 2:55:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
To that question he said his wife is a smoker and he needs the money for medical bills. I know it doesn't answer the question of why not sell both of them if he needs money but I don't want to belabor the point.

In other license plate news, somebody at WoV noticed one of my California runs at a a local DMV: THE MICHAEL SHACKLEFORD?!.

I still prefer the gold on blue 1970s ones.
The President is a fink.
January 18th, 2018 at 6:55:07 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
I still prefer the gold on blue 1970s ones.

I've always described them as yellow on blue but I've been accused of colorblindness before. Same colors as in 1939, I might add.

Evidence that purple and orange are ugly colors -- they are seldom seen in license plates. Or flags for that matter. Granted, Ireland does have orange.
January 18th, 2018 at 7:28:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I've always described them as yellow on blue but I've been accused of colorblindness before. Same colors as in 1939, I might add.

Evidence that purple and orange are ugly colors -- they are seldom seen in license plates. Or flags for that matter. Granted, Ireland does have orange.

Calling it "gold" is probably just my Pittsburgh sports color bias calling that shade "gold." We've discussed my purple antique plate before :-)

I don't like these fancy new plates with the fancy scripts. Nor how hard some are to read at a glance. Miss the 1970s in that regard.
The President is a fink.