License plate collecting with the Wizard

November 30th, 2017 at 7:53:19 PM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
I don't understand all the confusion. The title of the ebay sale states "Seinfeld PROP license plate".
Let's go Brandon
November 30th, 2017 at 8:00:11 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: fleaswatter
I don't understand all the confusion. The title of the ebay sale states "Seinfeld PROP license plate".

Of course it's a prop, there was no real
NY Assman plate. The seller is giving
the impression it's the very one used
on the show, instead of a cheap knock
off signed by Michael Richards.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 30th, 2017 at 8:05:00 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
I thought I helped you leave that auction.

The NB plates are cool and in great shape.

I thanked you before but since it wasn't clear -- I thank you too for your help. That ASSMAN plate was tempting, as a Seinfeld fan, but not a legitimate plate and the serious old-timers in the club would laugh at me if they knew I paid over $5 for it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 30th, 2017 at 8:07:08 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Of course it's a prop, there was no real
NY Assman plate. The seller is giving
the impression it's the very one used
on the show, instead of a cheap knock
off signed by Michael Richards.

I don't think we'll ever know which was the actual one seen on the show. There is the same problem with the BAN ONE license plates you often see on Ebay from Smokey and the Bandit. I suspect whoever made the prop(s) seen on the show made a whole bunch of them as long as they took the trouble (economy of scale) in hopes of hoping of selling them down the line.
November 30th, 2017 at 10:39:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Wizard
Can someone please explain to me what person would even consider paying $100,000 for this license plate? This is why I usually put in the filter that there must be at least one bid, so I don't waste my time looking at "auctions" like this one: LICENSE PLATE LOT MAN CAVE BAR AUTHENTIC ISSUE REAL NEVADA WALL ART NEEDRUM

Darn, I was considering the selling the license plate off Abraham Lincoln's car for 100k.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 5th, 2017 at 5:00:08 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Under two hours to go on that run of Nebraska plates. Price at the moment is only $164. Unless it more than triples in price at the last second, looks like they will be mine soon.
December 5th, 2017 at 5:19:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Under two hours to go on that run of Nebraska plates. Price at the moment is only $164. Unless it more than triples in price at the last second, looks like they will be mine soon.

Good buy, IMO
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 5th, 2017 at 5:49:00 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

That looks like a very rare find. Do a special display. Work in a picture of Carhenge maybe?

Thanks AZD for helping me decide to leave that auction alone.

YW, glad to help. FWIW for future reference, my other state plates (PA, AZ) have round holes. Those oblong ones are not at all easy to make, you would need a special punch. Said punch would not be something you would buy at the hardware store (Face, help me out here if I am off.) So if you see a potential plate that should have them but does not, be very careful. Hard to fake.
The President is a fink.
December 5th, 2017 at 6:56:41 PM permalink
Evenbob

That's you at $282?
December 5th, 2017 at 7:08:45 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
That's you at $282?

Yep. My max bid was $555, so I'm happy.

Quote: AZDuffman
YW, glad to help. FWIW for future reference, my other state plates (PA, AZ) have round holes. Those oblong ones are not at all easy to make, you would need a special punch. Said punch would not be something you would buy at the hardware store (Face, help me out here if I am off.) So if you see a potential plate that should have them but does not, be very careful. Hard to fake.

Thanks. I don't like oblong holes. I also don't like it when the holes are not in the usual position. As I wrote about before, that the holes were not the right size on the ASSMAN plate was a huge red flag the thing was not legitimate. Counterfeiting is the biggest problem with "pre state" plates, when car owners were expected to make their own license plate. Naturally, anything you're supposed to make yourself is easier to counterfeit. That is why I never have bought a homemade pre-state license plate. Another, even bigger, problem is repainted license plates. Serious collectors consider a license plate ruined if it was repainted. However, antique car owners are not as bothered by it. So you need to have a watchful eye. Those Nebraska plates looked very nice for their age but the colors checked out and they looked original to my eye.