License plate collecting with the Wizard

December 5th, 2017 at 7:11:22 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
If you won those, imo you did really well. That's a neat set, with it all matching and in very good shape.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 5th, 2017 at 7:12:57 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: beachbumbabs
If you won those, imo you did really well. That's a neat set, with it all matching and in very good shape.

Thank you. I really liked how they were all the same number. However, the state of Nebraska gave every car owner new license plates annually back then and didn't ask for the old ones back. So, it isn't that unusual, but I still like it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 5th, 2017 at 7:20:46 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Wizard
Thank you. I really liked how they were all the same number. However, the state of Nebraska gave every car owner new license plates annually back then and didn't ask for the old ones back. So, it isn't that unusual, but I still like it.

Obv you would know much better than I do how rare such a set might be, but with those being pre-WW2, and Depression era, I would think they are pretty rare. Not that many people could afford cars, and those plates were good metal that could be used for many things, from patching a car or house roof to a shovel blade, in a time when there was a shortage. I would guess the war is why it goes from 1941 to 1946; they probably didn't want to waste steel.

That must have been a person of some means, that they could just put them away or nail them on the garage wall or whatever, and afford a car every year to license. Very cool.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 5th, 2017 at 8:20:18 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
There was indeed a metal shortage during WWII and it affected license plates. I know in California they issued renewal tabs in 42 and 43 and not even in tab in 44 but a windshield sticker. You can see the collection I just bought skipped from 41 to 46. In 43 and 44 Nebraska issued tabs. Why there isn't a 42 or 45 in the collection, I just don't know. The WWII years are tough for any state. I don't fault a collection that just skips over the whole damn war.
December 6th, 2017 at 3:30:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I don't like oblong holes.

Honestly, I never noticed they were different until I looked at my old plate to compare.

Quote:
Serious collectors consider a license plate ruined if it was repainted. However, antique car owners are not as bothered by it. So you need to have a watchful eye. Those Nebraska plates looked very nice for their age but the colors checked out and they looked original to my eye.

Coming from the antique car end, I can say what you want is a sharp looking plate that looks new. An otherwise perfectly painted car would look odd with a plate with patina. But they are not going to paint a real valuable and rare plate. They will just want YOM, which is getting newer and newer all the time. Other than 1976 editions, I doubt many plates post-60s are all that rare or special. Or are there?
The President is a fink.
December 6th, 2017 at 6:27:32 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
Coming from the antique car end, I can say what you want is a sharp looking plate that looks new. An otherwise perfectly painted car would look odd with a plate with patina. But they are not going to paint a real valuable and rare plate. They will just want YOM, which is getting newer and newer all the time. Other than 1976 editions, I doubt many plates post-60s are all that rare or special. Or are there?

I don't want to speak for antique-car buffs but I've seen a lot of repainted original plates at car shows and museums. From watching a few episodes of Jay's Garage, it seems most antique car buffs don't mind refurbishing everything. Then again, the guests on his show tend to be very rich and from show business so don't really know that much about the car, just that it is better to look good than be original.

You're right, any plate post 1960 is not difficult to find and not worth much.

I was wondering how owners of California cars from 1963 to 1968 feel about the state re-issuing the classic yellow on black style. It used to be a badge of honor to have the original plates on your card. However, now any schmoe can pay an extra $100 or whatever it is and put a newly made 1960's legacy pair on any car. You can tell the new ones are a little different, like the thickness of the lettering, but still.
December 6th, 2017 at 4:08:59 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman

YW, glad to help. FWIW for future reference, my other state plates (PA, AZ) have round holes. Those oblong ones are not at all easy to make, you would need a special punch. Said punch would not be something you would buy at the hardware store (Face, help me out here if I am off.) So if you see a potential plate that should have them but does not, be very careful. Hard to fake.

Stamping isn't my wheelhouse, but no, I can't think of a single common thing that would cut a clean, even, oblong hole like that. It's nothing you're getting from Lowe's.

Of course, I'm thinking as a common man. Look at any counterfeit report and you'll find examples of the wildest creativity and ability to pull a fast one. And what used to be wild tech to us is kinda accessible now. Even I know a guy with a metal lathe, and I could probably get my hands on a CNC operator in a pinch. A CNC water jet would cut those holes no problem.

CNC, powder coating, 3D printing, laser etching, acid etching, micro stamping, guys have this in their home garages now. I don't know enough about anything to spot fakes of this caliber.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 6th, 2017 at 4:15:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
Stamping isn't my wheelhouse, but no, I can't think of a single common thing that would cut a clean, even, oblong hole like that. It's nothing you're getting from Lowe's.

Of course, I'm thinking as a common man. Look at any counterfeit report and you'll find examples of the wildest creativity and ability to pull a fast one. And what used to be wild tech to us is kinda accessible now. Even I know a guy with a metal lathe, and I could probably get my hands on a CNC operator in a pinch. A CNC water jet would cut those holes no problem.

Could be done, but looks like we agree, not easy.
The President is a fink.
December 10th, 2017 at 6:50:36 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Normally when I search Ebay for license plates I do an advanced search and put as a condition that there be at least one bid. That way I don't waste time on overpriced stuff with no bid. However, I forgot to put in the usual 1 for current bids and what do I see, but "auctions" like this: 2 - Officially Licensed Colorado Buffaloes Metal License Plate Frame Buffs Thick for a mere $9,999.99. Gee, how nice of them to stay under five figures. Are you freacking kidding me!!! Does this actually work? This is far from the only example.
December 10th, 2017 at 8:42:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Normally when I search Ebay for license plates I do an advanced search and put as a condition that there be at least one bid. That way I don't waste time on overpriced stuff with no bid. However, I forgot to put in the usual 1 for current bids and what do I see, but "auctions" like this: 2 - Officially Licensed Colorado Buffaloes Metal License Plate Frame Buffs Thick for a mere $9,999.99. Gee, how nice of them to stay under five figures. Are you freacking kidding me!!! Does this actually work? This is far from the only example.

He sold one for $35 and now wants 10K?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.