License plate collecting with the Wizard

January 18th, 2018 at 6:50:51 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
We've discussed my purple antique plate before :-)

Do you still have it? I was thinking the other day that it would be a nice gimmick to make a display of purple license plates. One aspect to the hobby I probably didn't bring up is at the meets there are always awards for the best display and their are various categories. So far I've been too lazy to ever put together a good one. I did a display and handicapped plates once but it understandably didn't win anything as handicapped plates are pretty easy to obtain.

In other news, 27 hours to go and the price is $2,551 on the FDR plate. My max buy point has been slipping the more I think about this. I think I'm going to let it go to someone else.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 18th, 2018 at 7:14:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
My max buy point has been slipping the more I think about this. I think I'm going to let it go to someone else.

How will you get the best if you
aren't willing to pay for the best.
Talk about a one of a kind plate.
If it even sells..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 18th, 2018 at 7:19:15 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
How will you get the best if you
aren't willing to pay for the best.
Talk about a one of a kind plate.
If it even sells..

One problem is the plate doesn't speak for itself well. If I were to try to sell it or just impress someone with it, I'd have to go through the whole story of it. I also wouldn't have any solid evidence my story is true. The seller kindly agreed to provide a signed letter on the history of the plate but a skeptic might say I forged it.
January 18th, 2018 at 8:53:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
One problem is the plate doesn't speak for itself well. If I were to try to sell it or just impress someone with it, I'd have to go through the whole story of it. I also wouldn't have any solid evidence my story is true. The seller kindly agreed to provide a signed letter on the history of the plate but a skeptic might say I forged it.

There is no evidence for ANYTHING that is 100%.
There's plenty enough for that plate that it is
what it says it is. You're just looking for reasons
not to spend the money on it, I get that. But
don't blame it on lack of provenance, look for
the real reason.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 18th, 2018 at 9:30:50 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
You're just looking for reasons
not to spend the money on it, I get that. But
don't blame it on lack of provenance, look for
the real reason.

You would have made a good psychiatrist.
January 18th, 2018 at 10:58:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
You would have made a good psychiatrist.

Lots of collectors would rather spread their
money around on lots of cheaper items
than spend a ton on one important thing.
Unless you're Bill Gates, everybody is on
a budget for how much they want to
spend. If the budget is $10K a year or
$1mil a year, it's still a budget. The thrill
of collecting comes from the finding and
the buying, not so much from the owning.
A friend on mine told me in the 80's that
we're all in this to buy, any idiot can own
or sell. Buying is an art,,
January 19th, 2018 at 12:42:16 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6

All of the pictures of the car it was on I've found only show the front or profile of the car. You're looking at a rear plate according to the seller. What is on the car now? For example it might not even HAVE a rear plate. It might have one with the same or very similar layout / alphanumerics, which would bolster the sellers claim.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 19th, 2018 at 2:47:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Do you still have it? I was thinking the other day that it would be a nice gimmick to make a display of purple license plates. One aspect to the hobby I probably didn't bring up is at the meets there are always awards for the best display and their are various categories. So far I've been too lazy to ever put together a good one. I did a display and handicapped plates once but it understandably didn't win anything as handicapped plates are pretty easy to obtain.

In other news, 27 hours to go and the price is $2,551 on the FDR plate. My max buy point has been slipping the more I think about this. I think I'm going to let it go to someone else.

The one I have I am making a keeper for when the old man's convertible is eligible or I get some other old convertible.
The President is a fink.
January 20th, 2018 at 11:00:57 AM permalink
Evenbob
7 hours and it still has the same
20 bidders at $3000.. I'm guessing
it doesn't go over $5K. but who
knows. Still hasn't met the reserve,
which is often a psychological
barrier to getting really high bids.

When I sold I never had a reserve
on anything, ever. And I did just fine.
January 20th, 2018 at 6:52:49 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
It closed successfully at $5,378.85. That was outside of any range I was thinking of. One of the highest prices I've ever seen for a single plate.