Stimulus

April 29th, 2020 at 5:50:41 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
Thread hijack. Absolutely nothing to do with the Stimulus. Against the rules. Suspension worthy.

(I guess me too!)

The discussion about Shrek’s (latest) infraction has been going on for well over a page of this thread now.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 29th, 2020 at 6:38:30 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: SOOPOO
Thread hijack. Absolutely nothing to do with the Stimulus. Against the rules. Suspension worthy.

(I guess me too!)

Seriously?

This thread has been hijacked for days.... With pages of people talking about credit card rewards from different banks and all kinds of credit card stuff (nothing to do with the stimulus)...

Responding to a violation and asking if it has been reported is not a thread hijacking (especially when the most recent 10 posts have all been about that violation).....
April 29th, 2020 at 8:37:55 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Shrek
Ah, just saw this in the rules: "do not remove, add, or change any wording within the portion quoted"

Unlike some people, I can admit when I'm wrong and I was wrong here. I can take my punishment like a man. 👍

YIKES! Whenever I want to only respond to a portion of a quote I delete the portion I do not want to respond to and insert *EXCERPT* at the beginning of the quote
This practice was approved by BeachBumBabs over on WOV
If that is not the case on DT, I will cease doing so
April 29th, 2020 at 9:00:24 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: ams288
The discussion about Shrek’s (latest) infraction has been going on for well over a page of this thread now.

Part of the problem is multiple re-quotes taking up half a page.

If someone wants him suspended, just notify management and leave it at that.

I got a letter from Donald Trump the other day regarding the stimulus we received. I wasn't impressed, but it is what politicians in power do all the time to stay in power. Kind of like the "franking" of what are basically campaign talking points by members of Congress. I would be happy if we stopped all of it.
April 29th, 2020 at 9:44:34 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: aceofspades

YIKES! Whenever I want to only respond to a portion of a quote I delete the portion I do not want to respond to and insert *EXCERPT* at the beginning of the quote
This practice was approved by BeachBumBabs over on WOV
If that is not the case on DT, I will cease doing so

it says "within the portion quoted" not that you have to retain the entire post.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 29th, 2020 at 9:45:48 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: RonC

I got a letter from Donald Trump the other day regarding the stimulus we received. I wasn't impressed, but it is what politicians in power do all the time to stay in power. Kind of like the "franking" of what are basically campaign talking points by members of Congress. I would be happy if we stopped all of it.

Seems like a waste of money to send the letters. On the other hand, it's more business for the post office, assuming they aren't losing money on each letter delivered.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 29th, 2020 at 11:01:18 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Gandler
Seriously?

This thread has been hijacked for days.... With pages of people talking about credit card rewards from different banks and all kinds of credit card stuff (nothing to do with the stimulus)...

Responding to a violation and asking if it has been reported is not a thread hijacking (especially when the most recent 10 posts have all been about that violation).....

I agree with you..... My point is that the rules are meant to be used to suspend only in extreme circumstances. Someone calling out a member for factually mentioning another member is on the dole, after the member on the dole gleefully admitted it, is just plain silly!

No suspensions needed from this!

back to the stimulus. Father in Law---- 77 years old..... plus conditions that make him high risk.... Getting WAY more money now being unemployed than when he was working. That's in addition to his pension. And Social Security. He works at a Marina doing manual labor. Mows lawns. Cleans bathrooms. Helps boats dock. He is itching to get back to work, probably for his mental health. My wife does not want him to as she (and I) feel a 77 year old should not be cleaning toilets in the age of COVID-19. He says he will go back the day they ask him to. He is well aware he would make far more by staying unemployed. He does not like being on the dole.
April 29th, 2020 at 11:14:05 AM permalink
Gandler
It seems there is some tension between the White House and the Republican in the Senate.

Trump (and most Dems) want a large infrastructure stimulus (I think Trump said 2 trillion for infrastructure, which is actually a brilliant idea by Trump). However, McConnell is making it clear that he will not back the White House with spending. McConnell thinks that Trump is being too eager to spend money on this crisis.

It seems like Trump is more willing to support upcoming stimulus packages than some R Senators.... I think Trump liked the popularity he got with this last stimulus....

But, 2 trillion for infrastructure would be legendary. And, America needs this (long before COVID-19 was an issue) I would even be fine if 6 billion of that is for a wall.... Because overall it would be good spending.

https://www.axios.com/mcconnell-gop-senators-trump-coronavirus-ce94c044-0d2d-42d5-8c30-924196da1a42.html

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/495121-mcconnell-infrastructure-will-not-be-in-next-coronavirus-relief-bill

'"It should be VERY BIG & BOLD, Two Trillion Dollars, and be focused solely on jobs and rebuilding the once great infrastructure of our Country! Phase 4," the president tweeted at the time. '

'One of the main hang-ups to getting a deal on infrastructure is how to pay for it. McConnell has warned repeatedly that he is not supportive of borrowing money to help for it. '
April 29th, 2020 at 11:29:16 AM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0
Quote: Gandler
(I think Trump said 2 trillion for infrastructure, which is actually a brilliant idea by Trump).

LOL. Infrastructure spending is the closest thing to a free lunch there is in economics. Economists and politicians have been pushing for a large investment in our infrastructure for years. This is no "brilliant" idea by Trump.
April 29th, 2020 at 11:31:18 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: Tripdufan
LOL. Infrastructure spending is the closest thing to a free lunch there is in economics. Economists and politicians have been pushing for a large investment in our infrastructure for years. This was no "brilliant" idea by Trump.

No, be he supports it, which is brilliant by Trump standards. Many Rs are against huge spending.